Cheese One

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Driftx3, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

One of the best parts of G1 was the fact that it was obvious that neither America nor Japan truly had any clear idea of where to go with this series. I think the concept of robots pasted on GiJoe's good vs evil seemed like a cakewalk to Americans, who had many other shows and toys in line with this concept, but was kinda hard for the Japanese to grasp as the original Dia Clone was primarily a "rescue" force, not good fighting evil.

I loved that Transformers pretty shamelessly used 1960's and 1970's sci-fi cliches for some of the villains. I also dug the ridiculous attempts to explain "culture" to Transformers, and the blatant racist stereotypes. These concepts seem pretty half-assed now, but in 1985 we really though we were on the path to cultural and sexual homogenization. Believe it or not things like " Black" Jazz and Mellisa Fairborne were the total opposite of racism and sexism in the 1980's.

And the stupid assed monsters they dealt with really payed clear homage to great shows like "The Outer Limits" and " The Twilight Zone."

It seems stupid now, but I feel as though when it was written and produced the message that was trying to be conveyed was tolerance and acceptance.

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    The molds that became the Insecticons were originally the mechs for the Waruder, the evil alien invaders hell bent on having their way with Earth.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Until you get to the episode with Carbombya in it.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Indeed, trying using that name for a middle east nation today and see the hell that get raised over it :lol  ah the 1980s when you could get away with so much.

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

especially when it comes to the action movies of the time

looking back on it all i loved the shit you could get away with in a good 80's action flick

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I find this statement incredible, given the fact that plenty of 'good versus evil' themed shows with robots in major roles had aired in Japan during and prior to the Eighties.

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was Robotech, Voltron, Gatchaman...

Also the concepts and ideas for TF comes from times other then 50s and 60s...A lot seems to be based on Roman and greek stories.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Well they didn't get away with it entirely... Casey Kasem quit the show in protest at the use of the name.

Clearly the producers thought it was hilarious and left it in anyway.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been watching TF and GI Joe a lot on the Hub lately. It stood out to me in one GI Joe ep where Dusty refers to a Bedouin-type guy as a "camel jockey". Now, that person was a heroic character, and literally spent a lot of time on a camel, but it struck me as something that would never get through in a more PC (especially in childrens' programming) age.

Not TF I'll admit, but it caught my attention. Interesting that Carbombya was loosely based on 1980's Libya, which is back in the news again in a big way after a relative absence.