Check Engine Light Fiasco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tampalicious, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I paid Big-o Tires 650 bucks to turn off my check engine light , so I can have my smog check tommorrow and pay my renewal fees for the Ranger.
    I drove about 20 seconds before I saw that it was still on.
    I have to go back in the morning. Yay.
    The only thing I can think of is when I turned my radio back on maybe that did it? Should I not tell them I turned it on? I mean its a friggin vehicle I'd like my sportsradio or music on...
    Also, may be of interest is that my passenger window doesn't roll down anymore, the wipers go off randomly, and my clock seems like its behind, as it doesnt keep the hours correctly.

I believe it to be an electrical problem ? If thats the case wouldnt the computer that goes into their reading machine be erratic as well? Man, Im not even tryin to deal with it if its any more money. I'll be forced to sell her and just wait for a job to sail my way, till I can make payments on a new one

2. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you pay them to turn off the check engine light or fix the problem that was maknig the check engine light go on?

It sounds like an electrical problem to me.
    When the check engine light goes on the computer in the car makes a note or a code of it and records it, when the mechanic gest the car they hook it up to the computer machine and it spits out a report telling them what code popped up where and what the problem is. Right now my check engine light is on and goes off and on randomly. The reason is because one of my cylinders isn't pumping or sparking at a regular rate. It isn't major and periodcally will spark correctly which is when the check engine light will go off.
    It isn't something I need fixed right away as the other cylinders are enoguh to keep the car running in good shape.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

just cover it with a piece of tape, you'll be fine.

4. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

So you paid $650 for them to basically hook up and obd code reader and shut off the cel? If you don't have the problem fixed that is causing the light to come on, it will just keep coming on. Depending on the code that pops up, you won't pass smog.

5. Tampalicious

The problem is because in order to get my vehicle smogged (which is required for me this year by the dmv in order to renew my registration for 147 bucks by the 31st), the guy said they cant do it if the check engine lite is on.
    Mine was off and on for awhile too but is now pretty permanent.
    So, I have to like wheeljack said get the problem fixed to turn off the lite. THEN get it smogg checked for 57 bucks and IF it passes that pay the 147 dmv fee.

They did a bunch of things at the big-o (where they quite convientently dont do smogg checks. hmm). Sparkplugs, fuel injection wires/lines or whatnot, alignment, and some other thing. The problem is simply that the damn light came on like 4 seconds after I started driving home. Of course it was right at the end of the day they called me.
    I brought her in at 8:00 this morning Im just sayin.

I'm hopin things work out, so I can buy myself time so I dont have to drive illegally and get impounded. Its hindering my job search. Im down to wash dishes at this point but I gotta have wheels. Bus is unreliable and not very safe where Im at. (strikes and police shootings and all this nonsense)

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do what Wheeljack said? Is that me? It's MTME

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    There's got to be a time frame in which you can take the vehicle back if the service they provided was not maintained. For $650, I'd be down there raising hell.

8. Tampalicious

my apologies, I did notice that afterwards. I will continue this tale tommorrow. I am supposed to have the smogg at 1:00 so Big-O needs to come through, this one might not end well for the vehicle. Worse comes to worse I'll have to start a new car payment.
    I saw a sweet Prelude the other day and I hadnt had that car feeling for awhile I actually rubbernecked it. I had an 86 Prelude my first car it was silver with the rack on the trunk lol. Then I had an integra which was torched, so I got like a 90 prelude, then a 2001 Integra but traded it for the ranger (dumb but it was because the car was so sweet and I didnt want it gettin beat up delivering pizzas) and now I fear the problem lies within my trucks brain.
    Unfortunatelty I may have to let it go. there are many many memories with that truck.
    However that Prelude I saw was so cool. I've always wanted an eclipse too. Some people said they are girl cars but I thought they were sick

9. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

T:

If it was my car, I'd call Big O and get the 'trouble code' that they scanned from the computer. If they didn't have it, I'd go to Auto Zone and have them scan the code with their little handheld scanner.

Then I'd look up the code, which would tell me which component had encountered a problem.

Then I would find that component on the truck's wiring diagram (sometimes the manuals they sell at Auto Zone have good ones; sometimes you can find them online). I would look at everything feeding power to that component, or connecting it to ground (the car's metal frame is used as the ground).

Your possessed wipers make me think you have a bad multifunction switch. I don't know if this is causing your other problems; it's possible that some circuits are shared. The wiring diagram would help you with this.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/796206-multi-function-switch-blinkers.html

The first step, though, is to read that trouble code, so do that, and post it here. :) 

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    My check engine light has been on for years. I've had the dealership and several other people turn it off and it pops back on after a few days or the same day. I was told it was a wiring problem and it's not really tied to a real malfunction so I let it go.

12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife's SUV has the same problem with the check engine light. She's been told it's because her gas cap isn't getting a good seal.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

That's the same problem my vehicle has.I can turn it until it clicks,but sometimes it pops right off triggering the check engine light.Then I have to fiddle with it until it fits on tight and the check engine light eventually goes off.