Cheapest/Safest way for International Shipping?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FlameWaveX, Oct 19, 2009.

1. FlameWaveX

FlameWaveX Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what the cheapest/safest way to do international shipping from the US is? I've been looking at rates online, and they always seem to be really expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    depends on what your sending.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The couple of packages I've shipped out internationally I've done through USPS. UPS and Fedex were rediculously over priced compared to the post office. Plus the customs form you fill out also doubles as a tracking mechanism.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

USPS would be your best bet if you want it to be sent cheaply. They're highly reliable though it might also depend on where you're located.

For added security, or safest, you can send it via Registered Mail for an extra expense. It'll take a while to arrive but it's GUARANTEED to arrive sooner or later (more likely later) with Registered mail.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

USPS is the best choice I think. Whenever I order something from someone who is in the US I always go for First Class Mail or Priority Mail. Haven't failed me yet. *knocks on wood*

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I always use one of these 3 USPS methods:

First Class International - cheapest, though limited to 4lbs. It doesn't come with any tracking or insurance and cannot purchase additional insurance. You can add additional registered mail (package has to meet certain qualifications) to get tracking, but that usually makes the cost on par with Priority.

Priority Mail - non-Flat Rate - comes with tracking to most countries and some insurance, with the option to purchase more.

EMS - non-Flat Rate - like Priority but listed as slightly faster and trackable pretty much everywhere.

If you're taking payment by Paypal I'd recommend Priority for the tracking, unless you know/trust the recipient not to make a false item-not-received claim. Also, you'll know a package is trackable when you use the white customs form (not the green).

7. FlameWaveX

FlameWaveX Well-Known Member

Another a question I have, is that I've shipped out many things on Ebay by just weighing the package, printing out the shipping label from paypal, taping it onto the package, and dropping it off at a post office box on the way to work. How close do you have to be to the exact weight, before they send it back? It used to not be as much of an issue, because priority mail was 4.85 up to 1lb 15 oz, but now it seems that 1lb 1oz is $8, and only anything less than 1lb is the $4.85 rate. Has anyone else noticed this too?

I'm asking because, if I have a package that weighs 1lb and say...3oz, if I list it at 1lb, think it'll matter?

Also, how does the scheduled pickup work? Do I just schedule a pick-up from USPS and when they mail carrier comes, they pick it up where I left it? Does this service cost extra? I've always wondered if this was worth it, though my post office is already really close.

And I guess since we're on the topic of shipping, where can I find some device? where I can print the shipping label onto a sticker, and just stick it on, rather than on a sheet of paper, and then taping it on? haha.

Thanks all.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I use first class international shipping when possible, and priority mail international when the item is too heavy for first class.