Customs: Cheapest option for G1 Seeker custom-bait?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fragmare, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    Alright, I think I'm going to take the plunge into doing some custom stuff (beyond just restoring and minor mods). What's the cheapest route to take for getting ahold of a couple of complete G1 mold-style Seekers (preferably Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker/Sunstorm style). I'm loathe to do this with vintage figures, but I will if I have to. Afaik, the Seekers were never KOed. There are also the encore and TRU reissues to consider. My plan is to make G1 style Acidstorm and Icestorm using the original G1 mold as a jump-off point and doing complete repaints in greens, possibly camouflage, for Acidstorm and ice blue + white for Icestorm. I might also cut the wing shapes so they have different looking wing configurations than the standard Seekers... just for some added variety amongst the various jets. Not sure about that, though.

2. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

My first inclination would be to find some eBay junkers (like this) and pieces to frankenstein together and form more complete figures. You're not likely to find complete G1-era Jets for cheap otherwise.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe those crappy Hasbro reissues with the GIANT missiles?

4. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    I'd rather find complete figures. I know it's not going to be cheap, but if they're reissues or KOs I they won't be spending 70-80 bucks for something I might end up screwing up (plus I'd feel bad if i totally borked a vintage figure). I think if i got just the bodies, I'd actually end up spending MORE completing the things, because I'd get raped on all the accessories. I've noticed, if you're patient, you can find the Thundercracker/Skywarp Encore 2-pack for 50-70 bucks on eBay. I'm starting to think that might be the cheapest way to go. That only adds up to 25-35 for each complete Seeker... not too bad.

Are you talking about the TRU reissues with the extra long missiles?

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The same patience pays off with the junkers and parts too - I picked up a TC for $25, passed on a Skywarp for $27. I recently bought an extra pair of encore SW wings for $5 shipped - now if I could just find a set of encore TC wings for that price :D 

Anytime I start a custom I get two copies of the mold, just in case I run into something weird or break something while disassembling it. You can find the seeker bodies for about $5 each, especially in lots, or at Transformerland and it would be a safe way to experiment before you go after a full figure. I used to buy almost-complete seekers and finish them off with parts from transformerland, it still worked out cheaper than buying complete figures.

6. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    Hey, I recently ran across these cheapie Seeker KOs over at chimungmung. Only $10 bucks and I won't feel bad if I screw up a repaint on these. :D 

chimungmung Toy Shop