Customs: Cheap Styrene?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Nov 21, 2011.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I'm contemplating getting into something that I'll either never finish or will regret starting, so I'm looking for cheap styrene. =) I assume the bigger sheet you get, the cheaper it would work out to be in the long run and I'm sure I'd find a use for the stuff elsewhere. Can anyone comment if these prices are good?

.060" Thick High Impact Styrene Sheet 40" X 72" | U.S. Plastic Corp.
    $19.16 + $4.99 s&h = $24.15

https://www.estreetplastics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4006055100&CartID=1
    .060" x 12" x 24" Plain White Styrene Sheets
    $8.70 for 3qty + $10.35 s&h = $19.05

It's hard trying to compare when sizes are different - but I think it would be hard to compare to a 3foot by 6foot sheet no matter what. I also figure it's best to buy a thicker sheet than gluing thinner ones together. I believe .060(1/16") is a good size for a thick, sturdy panel/wall for deluxe or larger sized figures, right?

I checked prices on HobbyLinc, Amazon and eBay as other samples but I can't gather what is a 'cheap' price by like square inch or whatever. I know Wikkid and Jarrod are some of the local styrene kings but anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

If you convert them to square inches, and divide by total cost, you can get a quick Square inch price. That is easy to compare. The bigger sheet you get, the cheaper it's going to be usually (make sure to include shipping costs). Your first example above is the cheapest option by far.

For detail work and thin sheets, alot of people buy those cheap "for sale" signs and use them. just use the non print side, and be sure to roungh sand the print side a bit to give your glue something to grab onto.

3. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

Go to a store that sells music and ask if they have a bunch of those little white plastic dividers that you find on the CD shelves that they don't want anymore. I took home a box-full of that stuff when I left the store I worked in earlier this year, as it was about to get thrown out. The sheets share the same dimensions, and it's a super cheap place to start.

4. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I was trying to calculate that but I didn't know if I was doing it wrong. The numbers seemed weird. I probably was adding up the H as well as the W...

40X72 would be 2880 sq in. $24.15 would be $0.00838 per in.
    12x24 * 3 = 12x72 and 864 sq in. $19.05 would be $0.022 per in.

I just didn't know (aside from music shops or local sign printers with leftovers for free) if folks knew of a good place to get some on the cheap. It sounds like that first company is probably the best deal.

I missed a deal on eBay, as I didn't want to spend a lot - and I was anticipating it going up a lot higher: 85 - 1/16" White Styrene Sheets .060" X 8.5" x 11" | eBay

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yep! you did the math right. Just keep your eye open for things. that music divider idea sounds great, i'll have to look into that.
    i'd try searching for plastic shops in your area. They my not carry styrene, but they would alomst always carry acrylic, and sometimes that thin stuff is good for structural pieces, and they have scraps that they sell for cheap. And if they don't have the styrene, they may know someone in the area that does sell it. A little groundwork and internet searchnig will help you out in the long run since you'll have a good idea of who sells what and where.
    And again, generally the bigger the sheet, the cheaper the overall cost.

R!