Non-TF: Cheap-ish Titans Return figure stands

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NewtypeS3, Mar 10, 2017.

1. NewtypeS3

NewtypeS3 Member

I discovered this with some Revoltech stands that I had lying around (ones that came with the old TF Revoltechs I bought ages ago). As it turns out, almost all of the recent Titans Returns figures have a small hexagonal hole on the back side of their figures. Most of them have it on their "butt," while ones like Gnaw have a similar hole on their back. As it turns out, these holes are the perfect size for the stands included with most Revoltech figures.
    And, I assume, sold separately.

This is one such stand example I found online, as I forgot to snap an image of the stand itself.
    94b14-stand.jpg

And the results?

DDE30D4D-76BD-4574-AB30-B8080D9B2802_zps9fygxufs.jpg

F9FC4196-7061-40AB-8C4A-DB84DEEF1B60_zpsrxrwg9qj.jpg

Not too shabby, once you get the posing done right.

I also want to note that some of the Combiner Wars figures have the same holes. I've only spotted it on the Mirage/Drag Strip mold, but others could have it too.

EDIT

And I completely forgot to note... these Revoltech stands use the same plugs as the Gundam 1/144th scale stands, too. All of mine are in storage, but those will work perfectly fine as well. And those stands tend to be dirt cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

The stand holes in TFs have actually been a thing since... Sometime during the Thrilling 30 portion of Generations. It even carried over into AoE and RID1X. I believe there were some sort of exclusive official stands in Hasbro Asia during AoE's run. Apparently they're - for the most part - identical to Tamashii stands, which also work for them, by the way.

But at least one more person knows about this now. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. NewtypeS3

NewtypeS3 Member

Yanno, it makes a ton of sense that it could be a Takara/Asia centric concept that just carried over to the US releases. I wondered why those holes were there in the first place.

4. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Makes sense to me. Hmm...

Maybe this is a conversation a Takara and Hasbro designer had when co-designing a figure at some point:

Takara designer: "Hey, you know that hollow space this toy has in its butt?"
    Hasbro designer: "Uhh, yeah. What about it?"
    Takara designer: "What if we used that space as a port for a flight stand?"
    Hasbro designer: "That makes sense, but we don't really ever include stands with the toys."
    Takara designer: "We don't have to, lots of collectors in Japan have figure stands with a common peg size."
    Hasbro designer: "Well, that's great, but most people who buy the western release probably won't own stands like that."
    Takara designer: "They don't have to; think of it as a sort of bonus, a... 'cool hidden feature nobody knows about yet.' Besides, there'd just be hollow space in there anyway."
    Hasbro designer: "You know what? I like it. We should have a lot more toys designed with this as well. It'd even save a bit of plastic!'

• Like Like x 2
  5. Saito Satoru

Saito Satoru smile

News Credits:
    The hole is pretty much universal. Revoltechs, Tamashii products and Figmas all use the same size and general shape for their stands. I'm currently using some Tamashii Stages from other figures for some of my TFs.

The stands Bandai provided in some model kits work just as well, though their position can sometimes be awkward.

6. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    The hole is the same as the ones on S.H.Figuarts stands too. The ACT3 stand is excellent. They're inexpensive on ebay and you get three in a box.