Cheap & Awesome Beast Era Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by samtastic, Apr 2, 2011.

1. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

Hey guys,

I'm attending Botcon this year and I'm on the lookout for 3-5 beast wars era toys.

I wasn't initially a fan of Beast Wars, but after resuming my TF fandom over the past years, I'm more and more interested in these toys. Watched a bunch of Beast Machines and liked the look on the whole.

The good news is I don't really care about getting specific characters or rare toys, I just want to get the most bang for my buck. I'd love to spend $3-15 USD on each (if that's possible). And I want to buy them lose - unless in package are cheap.

I hear the Japanese Beast Wars toys were pretty inventive - are they also most expensive/rare? Or can you tell me which of these are most available?

Do any of you guys have recommendations of beast era transformers that are very cool (your faves) and not expensive (I'm cheap)?

I don't mind odd/crazy ones like rabbits or giraffes either :) 

I really appreciate any knowledge you guys can throw down! Hopefully this thread will be useful to others that want some beast era toys, but like me -- know nothing about them :) 

Thanks!

~Samtastic

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

Claw jaw was one of my absolute favorate ones and he can be had for super cheap, even his japanese counterpart (scuba) can be had for less than 10$ mib.

3. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I did was poke around the galleries on Seibertron.com, find a few that interested me, and then did research via ebay and the various trade boards. "Cheap" is a relative term, but I can tell you I've been spending an awful lot of $ on Beast-era TFs lately.

4. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    He's KIBBLE CITY FROM THE PIT, but I absolutely love Rhinox. Good, solid figure with epic weapon storage.

I've got a soft spot for the original Cheetor too, but Transmetal 2 Cheetor is so much better. :3

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I hate to break it you but for $3-$15 your likely only to get junkers to ones missing weapons/parts as they tend to run higher in price, much higher for the basic class size season one figures, Rattrap for example I have seen as high as $70 in package but loose and complete usually averages around $45 or so.

The Transmetal Rattrap is cheaper especially if his chrome has begun to flake off.

Beast Wars figures aren't super expensive but they aren't super cheap either.

I have never been to Botcon so the pricing may be different there.

6. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Problem is that most of the good BW toys (show ones anyway) are going to be expensive, or at least more than $15!

Though I guess Transmetal Tarantulas is probably the best compromise between price and coolness.

7. samtastic

Thanks @Blitzwing256 - Claw Jaw looks pretty cool, a contender!

@Cannonball - Thanks, yes I've been there at Seibertron. I find it hard to navigate, and I guess some insider info as to what are the most fun and well designed toys from fans helps. And I'm cool with simple transformations - I'm a Twin Twist fan ;) 

8. samtastic

Thanks @Swoop @Grimlock1972 I don't really care about show characters since I never really watched the show (yet). Not a fan of "junkers", and also don't really care if weapons are missing - unless it forms the tail, etc... But thanks for the knowledge.

I assume at Botcon, sellers may be willing to part with random lesser known BW toys for less $ on Sunday at 5PM... :) 

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Entirely possible as it preferable to bring back cash rather than unsold toys.

and your welcome.

10. samtastic

Also, price aside, what are your favorit beast era molds - small, large, japanese, american. Just want to hear what's fun and weird :D 

11. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Bit more than $3-$15 but lio convoy and big convoy are both great.

12. samtastic

Lio Convoy and Big convoy are the same figures? I'll check'em out! Thanks :) 

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Transmetal 2 Scarem is pretty neat.
    Scarem (1999) - Predacon Ground Commando - www.tfu.info

Transmetal 2 Scourge is a damn monster.
    Scourge (1999) - Predacon Special Operations Combatant - www.tfu.info

If you're ok with no robot mode, Mutant Poison Bit is pretty cool.
    Poison Bite (2000) - Mutant Beast Special Operations - www.tfu.info

The original Cybershark mold is kind of neat. There are 3 different mold variations, and one repaint, though.
    The original is ok. The hammerhead shark mode looks good, but I never liked the robot head.
    Cybershark (1997) - Maximal Ocean Attack - www.tfu.info
    Sharp Edge is my favorite, and the version that I own. You might be able to get the two pack for a decent price.
    Sharp Edge (1999) - Cybertron Deep Sea Assault - www.tfu.info
    Hellscream is the most drastically different. If you don't like the cyber beast aesthetic, you're really not going to like it.
    Hellscream (1998) - Destron General Chief of Staff - www.tfu.info
    Repaint of Hellscream. I've actually seen this one go for more than Hellscream, which is really weird. I'd probably just ignore it, and get the original.
    Overbite (2006) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

Longrack is one of the more interesting Japanese molds, and isn't really all that expensive. You should be able to get one for around $20 or so at most.
    Longrack (1999) - Cybertron Deputy Commander - www.tfu.info

Big Convoy's price can be all over the place. If it's the official Korean version, then you might be lucky enough to get it for a reasonable price. He's almost entirely a shell former, but the robot mode is simply awesome enough to get away with it.
    Big Convoy (1999) - Cybertron Supreme Commander - www.tfu.info

No, they're two completely different molds. Unfortunately, Lio Convoy is more expensive, and harder to find than Big Convoy.
    http://www.tfu.info/1998/Cybertron/LioConvoy/lioconvoy.htm

14. samtastic

Thank Gryph! Longrack and Big Convoy are must owns!

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I bought my TM1 BW Cheetor at a Value Village holy crap that's an awesome find.

All of my BW figures except for the 10th Anniversery releases were all bought 2nd hand some how.

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be honest, to tell you to look for specific ones at your price point would be difficult. You are pretty open to whomever, which is good. At botcon, there will be tons of dealers that will have "junk" boxes with a bunch of loose toys. Don't be afraid to rumage through them all. If you see one you really like, by all means make an offer and buy it. But if you can have some patience, you can go around and find the bins that have figures you want a bunch of and offer to buy a bunch of them. I bet you can get a lot of figures for less than $5 each average price. If you are not picky about completeness, weapons, etc. this will give you most bang for your buck, so to speak.

Botcon is so much fun, if this is your first, you will have a blast. If you want some info on specific figures, check out my youtube channel in my sig below. I have reviewed a bunch of beast wars figures and I have most of them categorized in a "Beast Wars" section to avoid watching others your not interested in. I am a big fan of the Japanese Beast Wars Neo collection as I have the whole thing except the Blendtron Drancron (Grrrr!:mad ). These figures won't be cheap, unfortunately, but you might find a few of the "cute" smaller figures like Stampy (rabbit), break (penguin), bump (armordillo), sling (dinosaur), deadend (nautilus), and crazybolt (lizard) at reasonable prices. Oh, and Cohrada, the cobra, is VERY cool!! ;) 

Hope that helps!! :) 

17. samtastic

Brilliant! Thanks. I'll totally check out your videos. Sounds like a good plan.

18. samtastic

Yeah, I'll probably get all 2nd hand since I rip boxes open anyway, and don't want to break the bank on BW figs. Yet... ;) 

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For additional Beast Era knowledge, you may want to check here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...43-beast-wars-appreciation-thread-2011-a.html

The regulars are an excellent source of knowledge, and I picked up a bunch of random figures thanks to pics and posts about them.

As for my favorites or recommendations:

Any "basic" Scout-size figures: Razorbeast, Razorclaw, Snapper are three non-show characters that immediately come to mind.

Transmetal Optimus Primal: Ape on a surfboard. Come on. Plus, the Takara Metals version isn't drastically more expensive than the American version (I got mine for $30 sealed from Toy Arena).

Beast Machines Rattrap: Not the greatest line, but this one's a very quirky toy that I like a lot, even if it's quite bigger than the other two Rattrap molds.

Beast Wars II Galvatron: Somewhat odd...in a good way. Plus it's purple and very Galvatron-ish to me.

Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy: Feels more regal than Lio Convoy to me. Bot mode's awesome, and comes with a matrix. You could land Big Convoy and Galvatron cheap if you pick up the Korean Sonokong reissues. Those are much more affordable than the Takara originals.

Sonokong Beast Wars Neo Vs two-packs: Corahda (king cobra), Longrack (giraffe), Guildedart (triceratops), Break (penguin)...lots of good variety for a decent price.

Telemocha Robot Masters Optimus Primal & Megatron: Deluxe sized but still cool, with more accurate decos than the original Robot Masters releases.

20. samtastic

Wow sweet! I will check out that thread. The Sonokong and the 2 packs sound like a great way to go. Love the Giraffee vs. Triceratops. Seem like great fun molds :) 

Thanks!