charitable acts and good deeds thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gregles, Aug 11, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

has someone you know or yourself done something really noble or kind hearted. Do you volunteer your time or money to a charity? or has someone done something really nice for you when you was in a difficult place. No matter how big or small tell all

2. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

I go once a week to my best friends house to help him. he's a parapalegic, and his parents work on Fridays, so he's home alone. After school, and on the summer days, i go over and hang with him to give him company, since i know what being handicapped feels like.

Not really charity work, but it makes me feel good to do so

3. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've donated my hair to Locks of Love, which is a non-profit organization that takes human hair and makes wigs out of it for kids who lost their hair due to different things, the most common one being alopecia areata. I'm now growing it back out again, it's about four inches or so, can't donate it until it's at least ten inches, I'm waiting this time until it's about a foot long.

4. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    i think the last charitable thing i did was 'buy' blesser. i suppose i do volunteer at the pledge drives for my local pbs, although i do that as much for something to do and free pizza as anything else.

5. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

My last charitable deed was buying a T-shirt & some key items, a handmade card & a Koi Karp at an event to raise money for the people who were effected from last year's earthquakes & Tsunami.

The last 2 items I gave away to family members in Wales. And the T-shirt I kept. :) 

6. friendship pony

friendship pony death bringer

News Credits:
    i used to go to the ronald mcdonald house for kids with cancer. we would cook dinners, watch movies,play with toys. Now that i think about i really miss going. Helping and giving back when you can is what its all about

7. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I donate platelets every two weeks to the American Red Cross. : )

8. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

I usually buy a couple of TFs to donate to 'Toys For Tots' every year. I also usually donate a dollar for various charities when asked while cashing out at stores.

9. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Some members on this bored Please for me for not remembering the names help me out majorly this year on my cousin two sential prime toys for christmas. Also two other member help me give my new niece a slumber bee and a softimus prime when she was born. That true was a good thing they did and I thank everyone who helped.

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stuck up for a gay student back in 2003 and even lost my teaching job over it. The school (though public_ was highly a certain conservative religion and when the choir went to Florida they (the booster parents who also happened to be on the school board) wanted the openly gay student to be in a room by himself on a separate floor away from the other kids.
    This openly gay student already had roomates whose parents were fine with him rooming with him. and he was not a discipline problem in fact he was an AP straight A student.
    I refused to do this citing ed code and discrimination and tried going to the school board but they were all on my booster team and were also all the same conservative religion. (I don't want to say what the religion is in case anyone else on here is because I don't blame everyone of the same religion for a few bad apples).
    Well I had to get a lawyer and everthing, they school made my life a living hell after that the finally let me go.
    I still don't regret what I did and I still keep in contact with this student who I am proud to say is finishing up his doctrate in political science!!

11. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

A few years ago my friend got beat up right before I got to where he got beat up and I could see where he was so I run up to him and punch him in the stumach didn't hurt him but I did get him to hold still till the cops came cops didn't even punish the little punk though

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do a double red blood cell apheresis donation with Central Blood Bank every 4 months. Used to do regular donations until they told me that my blood could be used for infants and immunocompromised patients, so doing a double RBC donation would be better. My parents have also become regular platelet donors after I described my blood donation experience and how easy it was.

My only other major charitable thing is donating to Toys for Tots at Christmas. I pick up TFs that I find on sale/clearance throughout the year and build up a decent stock-pile of figures. I think I have about 20 figures of various sizes in my stack already for this year, although it's nowhere near how many I donated the year Hasbro ran that "spend $25, send in for 3 free RotF Deluxes" promotion. I also donate to the WSB Care-A-Thon for the Aflac Children's Cancer Center every year, although I only have enough for a small donation.

And, FWIW, none of the charitable things I do are "giving back". I wasn't "given" anything, I worked hard and earned what I have, so there's nothing for me to "give back".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  13. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure if this counts, but I bought an Energon Beachcomber at the TFcon Charity Auction for the Make a Wish foundation. I guess you could say I made a $34 donation.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've donated my hair a couple of years ago too, and I'll probably do it again in a few months once there's actually enough.

15. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    I've done over 68 (so close...) hours of community service within the past two years.

16. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Any one in Western Ohio or Eastern Indiana or well anywhere please feel free to stop on out at the Worlds largest MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) softball tournament benefit. It's in Coldwater Ohio and start Wednesday evening and last until Sunday afternoon. We have teams from all over Ohio, Indiana, and even Canada. It's always a good time and a great cause. Anyone seriously interested feel free to pm me. For those who have a team interested in playing next year I can give you more information upon request though there is typically a two to three year waiting list just so you know. If you or someone you know is a celebrity we are always looking for items that can be put on a benefit auction. Every year we have items from local celebrity's such as former OT for the Washington Redskins Jim Lachey, former Eagles QB Bobby Hoying, and former Lions and Steelers Pro bowler Center Jeff Hartings and many more.

I hope no one minds this shameless plug but I hope that those of you that can attend do. It's always a fun event even if you don't like softball there is plenty of other places and events that one can see and do. Hope to see you there.

Edit: BTW It's all no profit and 100% of ALL proceeds go to the MDA. Everything is ran by volunteers and any donations of any type are always appreciated. Thanks

17. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

The Transformers I had originally intended Christmas gifts for my kid brother and any DOTM Deluxe figures my Store still has on the shelf in December will be donated to Toys For Tots.

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just last night some random lady came up to me just about in tears in her eyes asking for gas money. I gave her a $5. I saw her get into a car close to a couple loading their car and figured now she will pull the same on them. I take the long way out of the lot expecting to see her asking them for money. Instead her car is on the way out and eventually pulls into the closest gas station. I gave the money expecting a scam but got the opposite. This is why I do that kind of thing.

19. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

First I'll point out that this is not something I did!
    ALL Credit goes to Alex Yu, A.K.A. TFW member darthrage, and The Ragin Ronin on Youtube.

Last Christmas, Alex went out of his way and bought a bunch of DOTM, Star Wars, and Toy Story toys and went to his local mall. He personally handed them out to kids in the mall. This was extremely kind and generous of him.

He filmed it, and the video is on YouTube. I don't know if it'd be ok for me to post a link to the vid, but it is called the "2011 Ragin Ronin Christmas Giveaway". The video really puts a smile on your face.

20. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I've completed over 100+ hours of volunteer work at my local hospital, mostly because I just like it there. I go to learn mostly, and since I'm running out of things to learn as a hospital volunteer, I'm considering joining St. John's ambulance to learn more. I'll probably keep doing this kind of stuff until I get into med school. After that I'll probably do some stuff with médecins sans frontières.