Characters you have changed your mind on?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silent Bob, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Well-Known Member

Are there any TF characters that you have done a complete 180 on?
    A character that you used to hate that has won you over, or one you used to like but became bored with or felt was over used??

I’ll start

Gen 1 Starscream.
    As a kid I hated this guy. Really hated him. I don’t think it helped that I was (and still am) a massive Megs fan. The way he would try to usurp Megs annoyed me as a kid, and his voice in the Cartoon just did my nut in. As I got older I have grown to love our conniving Air commander. I even think in G1 he was kind of necessary for the story to demonstrated a difference between the loyal Autobots and that the Decepticons couldn’t be trusted, even among themselves. I now think his voice in the Gen 1 cartoon is inspired and suits him perfectly. Animated Starscream was just a joy to behold.

Animated Prowl
    I admit I am a bit of a Gen 1 purist and the choice of this character baffled me. Prime was blatantly a nod to Gen 1 Prime, as was Ratchet and Bumblebee. Bulkhead was a completely new character so I was all cool there. But G 1 Prowl was one of my favourite characters. Taking the name Prowl and turning him into a motorcycle and a ninja? A bot who loves nature and has holograms, Hound anybody? Why not just give him a new name and make him a new character? I thought it would bug me whenever I watched the show. I watched the first episode, fell in love with him and he remained my favourite till the final episode.

So what about you guys?

Bob

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Dinobot.

I hated the fact he was named after one of the coolest sub-factions of all time but basically doing a watered down Starscream thing challenging Megatron (who after 2 minutes was winning the best voice ever award), when he got nailed by Scorponok in the pilot I was like "yeah, take that f*cko!", and then he shows up and tries to fight Optimus Primal. I thought, "great, take the name Dinobot and give it to your shitty Scappy-doo rip off".
    Needless to say the character grew on me.

3. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Honestly, Trabnsformers as a whole.

I remember watching an episode of RID and not liking it. It just wasn't my cup of tea, if you know what I mean. Years later, The 2007 movie came out, I reluctantly watched it, and fell in love with Transformers. I started buying the Movie toys, watched g1 on youtube...

And here I am posting on a fan board! So i've changed my mind on Transformers as a whole!

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I used to give Bumblebee a lot of flak for, in my mind, being rather worthless to the Autobot cause. He hung out with Spike more than anything.

After re-watching G1 lately, I found far more worthless characters. And Bumblebee was actually pretty cool.

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

"180, you stupid, spaghetti-slurping cretin - 180! If I did a 360, I'd go completely around and end up back where I started!"

6. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Dinobot grew on me through beastwars, especially after the transmetal thing because TM primal is a big fucking Xtreame Sportz Special Edition. Code of Hero is one of the best episodes of transformers full stop too.

I never liked starscream in G1 because he was a snivelling pussweed, but TFA made me like him more and more. he became more like the joker - an unhinged and utterly relentless psychopath - rather than an unrealistically egotistical wannabe.

G1 BB sucked ass too but movie BB, who i hated immediately becasue of his shitbagging heritage, is growning on me *slightly*.

7. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Hmm.....Optimus Prime used to annoy me somewhat. But after the movies (and watching the whole of Beast Wars, yes it's Primal, but same idea), I've started to become a Prime fan.

Movie BB has also grown. I don't really like BB too much, Animated BB is fun, but G1, Movie 1 and well all of BB's various counterparts suck at some point. But, RotF brought in the psychotic maniac who rips robotic cats apart and blows up robot babies!

I'll add to the Dinobot list. First impression, yawn, boring. Then by Code of the Hero, well it was quite different.

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Cheetor.

Oh great, the yellow, kid-friendly character. Oh look! His incompetence, over-eagerness, and arrogance almost got everyone killed again! Hoo ha.

Oh look, now he has a crush on the single female character!

Oh joy, extra-special prophetic dreams.

Wait...is he...learning from his experiences and growing as a character? Is the writing actually making him more mature in a slow, steady fashion?

By the time BM rolled around, I could absolutely believe the changes they had made in him. He was capable, confident, more reliable, and actually started to live up to his potential.

- Coeloptera

9. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Animated as a whole. Really the same with BW a long time ago.

But as for individual characters, my biggest 180 was RID Sky-Byte. I HATED that guy at the start, but towards the end of the series, I started loving him. Now I think he was the best thing about the series (other than the toys for OP, UM and Scourge).

10. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

It sent shivers up my spine in Beast Wars when he mourns the deaths of Tigatron and Airazor

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well to be honest, I can't say anything for sure on regards to characters but I can tell two things for sure in regards to the cartoons:

G1 season 3 - I was told by a lot of folks this season was crap; ultimately I discovered this was just blatant anti-Rodimus bias from some fanboys who were still butthurt over Optimus Prime dying after all those years. I felt the writing was vastly superior (albeit even S3 has some major clunkers) and that there was a genuine character development from Rodimus Prime's behalf, showing how he matured from a reluctant leader to one who accepted his role - all neatly undone with Return of Optimus Prime. I mean, I love Optimus Prime too, but I think the price of his return was too high.

Transformers: Victory - "best Takara show" my ass. The hyperbole on the internet in regards to the series naturally cranked my expectations way high - only for it to succesfully and utterly smash them. Just because it goes back to the route of the American cartoon of "adventure of the week" approach and removes the human element of Masterforce doesn't make it better. Personally I thought Victory was a lame attempt to recapture the spirit of the original series and failing horribly at it, only succeeding in giving us a bunch of one-dimensional autobots and repetitive storytelling that actually succeeds in making even the worst of the American series good...well, except Girl Who Loved Powerglide. Not even Victory is that bad.

12. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Well-Known Member

LOL !! :lol 
    Sorry, it's been a long day.
    I think everyone got the idea though.

Bob

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I thought ROTF Wheelie looked pretty funny in the trailers/as a toy. But his character in the movie pisses me off so much I hate him. Goshhh I hate him!

I disliked Animated Sentinel Prime in the beginning of the series, but I really started to like him the further the series went. Of course, he's an asshole, but a very fun written, designed AND voiced character!

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Rat Trap; definitely a character not written for kids.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I used to hate Megatron before I watched TFTM/ROTF...

16. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    ROTF Wheelie. At first I thought we finally get a Wheelie that doesn't suck.

Then I saw the movie.

Well, I'm still right for the most part. But at least G1 Wheelie wasn't a pervert-OH WAIT:

[​IMG]

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TF Animated as a whole grew on me more than any other series. When I first heard about it at Botcon, I was like WTF? Anyway, I've come to love the series and really hope to see Season 3 on DVD soon. I was really surprised how I had come to like Sari as well.

18. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have to say the movie TF stuff since at first I wasn't going to get nothing at all. Then as time grew on I started to like it more and more. Now I pretty much buy any TF from whatever line as long as it looks cool.

19. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Yeah, same here. Over time, his douche-baggery simmered a bit, and as the reasons for it became clear it was easier to sympathize with him. But I still love to hate him. :) 

I also had my doubts about Animated Prime not being absolute Supreme Commander of all the Autobots like in other series, but him growing into a great leader who saves all of Cybertron from Megatron just really worked out well in the end.

20. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    No wonder you didnt like TF's, RID sucks