Characters that could have played similiar roles or been replaced

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Alienbot, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally think the team dynamic for the Autobots was really well done. I was thinking about how Ironhide was written into the script after fans reacted poorly to Arcee. Arcee could still have been in the film, taking the role of Jazz: she was small, skillful, and no one would bat an eyelid if she got killed, unlike feminists, who'd have objections similiar to Jazz being the "black" robot. That way Jazz could have been saved for a sequel.

Likewise, I wonder if Ironhide could have easily been replaced by Grimlock: they could have played up the role of a "devil's advocate" in the team to the extent that he was no longer a friend of Prime, or his age so he's Kup. I also look at Ratchet and feel it could have easily been Wheeljack: Ratchet is my favourite character, but I wonder if his name was just picked on the strength of his role in Marvel and IDW alone. Still, the care and dedication to saving lives is there, unlike the pure eccentricity of Wheeljack.

Overall, I guess I really like how the writers molded characters together to make a true team dynamic, rather than throw in many characters as they could. Any more thoughts? In contrast, I don't think Blackout could have been Soundwave, because Blackout feels like a monster on a leash, alongside Bonecrusher and Brawlastator, rather than a spy.

2. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

A giant, mechanical T-Rex isn't exactly "hidden in plain sight". Hell, the only think more terrifying than a huge alien robot is a robotic dinosaur with metal teeth. Grimlock will never make it into the theatrical films, mark my word.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I wouldve loved seeing her torn in 2

4. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Talk about a God-complex.

Anyway, Grimlock could have easily had the role, it doesn't matter what his alternate mode would be. I wouldn't be surprised if only he shows up, but his Dyno-pals don't.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Famous last words. Talk in the sequel is that they have "a good idea" on how to intro the Dinobots and Constructicons. I mean, the whole idea of hiding in plain sight is pretty null now, seeing as how the government and media outlets undoubtedly know of the Transformers existence/presence.

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Nah grimlock couldn't replace ironhide I can't say it same with wheeljack re-placeing ratchet I can't see it

7. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

Grimlock would be sweet, the real Devistator will be better, and they have to change one of the constucticons names that was formerly bonecrusher. but yeah, spartan is right, no need for hiding!! But I also vote for Wheeljack being introduced.....just not like his small role in the cartoon movie being drug along the floor, dead! booooo

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    whatever. i was happy with who was in the movie. what i wasn't happy about was some of the lack of robot screen time. hopefully there will be more in the sequel.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    This made me giggle like I was in 6th grade again. Then I felt bad for doing so.

10. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Why feel bad? that would've been cool to see her get ripped in two. Granted, I'm not a big fan of hers. Would like to see Grimlock in the next movie, but only if he brings along a stick to poke at things with...

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

I agree.

12. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

Any of the Decepticons sans Megatron, Starscream and maybe Frenzy could have been cookie cuttered IMHO. I mean I who really cares if you name is Brawl or Devastator of you really don't get any lines and no real character development. i liked the choices for Autobots. Ironhide could have been any heavily armed robot and Ratchet really didn't fix many bots in the movie so he could have been anyone as well possibly replaced with Wheeljack, Hotspot, Hoist or any other type of Protectobot/Construction bot .
    Jazz was pretty throw away at the end when I think about it as well. He could have been any number of Autobot car robots. Sideswipe or Tracks even comes to mind.
    Don't get me wrong I like the choices that were made. I just think the Characters were very throw away with out the comics, toys, and extra-movie lore.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Just because the gov't knows *about* them, it doesn't mean that they have no need for disguise anymore. Just because they saved the day in the first movie, it doesn't mean that multiple governments wouldn't still love to capture & study them since they are, afterall, aliens living on Earth... mechanical aliens with the ability to transform. Translated: potential weapons just waiting to happen.

And right there would be a GREAT plot for the second movie - while the TF's are still doing battle with each other, the Autobots still do their damndest to stay off the radar due to the CIA or someone wanting to capture them, copy their technology (if possible) and eventually use it as an advanced weapons system for countries they're at war with. If you're the CIA, FBI, Pentagon, etc., it doesn't get much better than being able to send in robotic drones disguised as helicopters, jets, tanks, etc. only to have them also transform into giant warrior robots :)  Your enemy wouldn't know what hit them. And since the Autobots need to stay disguised from the gov't, it's a perfect excuse for them to take new forms from the first movie. Always keep people guessing until they eventually reveal themselves.

Anyway, back on topic. I agree that Jazz was a completely wasted character, and wish he was replaced with a generic "red shirt" character instead. I also wish they would have avoided using G1 names on characters that in no way matched the personalities of their original counterparts. Ratchet, Ironhide, Bonecrusher, Skorponok & Frenzy should have been true to their original characters rather than being completely reinvented personality & design wise.

That's why I don't have high expectations for new characters we see in the sequel(s). Even if we do get Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Hound, Soundwave, etc., they'll probably be nothing like how we know them. As it stands, Prime was the *only* movie character that stayed somewhat true to what we expected & remembered. Jazz was a distant second. So not only did we get a bunch of questionable new designs that looked nothing like the characters, we also had to deal with entirely new personalities as well. Hopefully some of that is remedied for the sequel.

14. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Taking their names aside for a second, I really loved the characters of Ratchet, Ironhide, and Jazz. They had hints of classic G1 characters but went above just being cliched cartoon cutouts.

From what screen time they had, they turned into well rounded personalities that became their own characters, in spite of having traditional G1 names.

Like, they gave Ironhide this air of intelligence in certiain situations. I dunno, him and Ratchet had alot of great scenes but I love them protecting Sam in the city.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Honestly, everyone BUT Optimus and Megatron were replaceable in terms of team dynamics.

Warrior Ironhide=Prowl/Sunstreaker/Sideswipe
    Medical Ratchet=Perceptor/First Aid/Hoist/Wheeljack
    2nd in Command/Warrior Jazz=Prowl/Tracks/Hot Rod/Magnus
    Best Buddy Bumblebee=Hound/Hot Shot/Jazz

Deceptions just replace their names with any other Decepticon name.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

If a giant anime jet was allowed in the first movie, I think a giant robotic T-rex would be passable as well. LOL!

17. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

well now thats just nasty........lol

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I don't know if I agree, I mean, Prowl, Sunstreaker, and Sideswipe are nothing like Ironhide, and I couldn't see them saying the same lines as Ironhide in the movie.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Definitely not Prowl, but if anything Ironhide's personality was more in line with G1Sunstreaker or Sidswipe than G1 Ironhide.

Besides you can't expect word for word replacement cause some lines would have to be changed for different characters, but their functions/status in the team every autobot besides Op were all easily replaceable.

20. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I think this can happen with most of Decepticons, tehy seem just disposable.