Character Flaws: Defining Our Beloved Favorites (?)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey gang, something I've given a lot of thought to over the while is that some of our favorite characters are due to the things they struggle with. Starscream? Sure, he wants to rule the Decepticon camp, but he sure can be cowardly at times! Tracks? Vanity certainly can get in the way of attacking the Decepticons effectively! Grimlock? NO! Him am king! He am also too forceful and headstrong often. Megatron? Question his motives all you want, but do his ends justify his means (and is "wanting to rule the universe" good or bad?) Optimus Prime? No, no, no, NO! Not my hero! Sorry, but even an excess in compassion can cloud judgment.

Anyways, the list goes on and on. Even with fan characters (especially with fan characters?), I really think this is an important area of focus. I won't even discuss Drift (oops, I guess I just did).

So, what are some characters you like (or dislike) based on their character flaws? Make sure to list the character, character flaw(s), and why you like or dislike them.

(Be sure to check out our resources section for TONS of techs and bios!)

Attached Files:

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    A character without flaws has no true depth. A character is, in the majority of cases, defined by their flaws more than their strengths, as these flaws and shortcomings provide the basis for their internal conflict and growth throughout the story. Just as we can see the virtues we aspire to in some characters, and grow close to them as a result, we can see the flaws we struggle with each day in others, and draw courage and inspiration to advance ourselves from these characters as well.

Scrounge from the marvel comics is one such character. He's not strong, nor is he fast, hell, he's barely even competent at what he does. But he's got the heart of a hero, and at the end, displays the courage in the face of an excruciating death and the devotion to his mission that any Autobot could be proud of.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always liked the bit about Jazz being "easily distracted" in his G1 Tech Spec. He's one of Prime's right-hand-bots through-and-through, but he might show up a little late to combat if there's a Bon Jovi concert in town.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    What about Trailbreaker's low self worth due to his high fuel consumption?

5. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Ever since I found out about Thundercracker being not entirely committed to the Decepticon cause, he became my favourite Seeker. Pity he was just "Generic Evil Guy #2" in the cartoon. In fact, has there been any fiction aside from the IDW comics where this is brought up?

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Thrust.

He thinks he's the shit, when he actually kind of sucks.

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I like flawed characters. It makes me relate to them easier since they make mistakes and learn from them.

8. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Rattrap: Expert marksman, masters spy and demolitions bot, but was at times the doomsayer "We're all gonna die"

Waspinator: The Kenny of Beast Wars, loyal to a point to Megatron, but not all there with all the kerplosions

Inferno (BW): Pyromaniac, fanaticallly loyal to Megatron

Wheeljack: 95% of his inventions tended to blow up

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'd like to say that for the very reason of this thread is how I REALLY started to care more and more deeply about each Transformer. As a kid, Optimus Prime was my favorite character, even though I still liked a lot of the others. The impact that this subject has had on me as an adult fan is liking virtually every character made. :) 

Thundercracker was my very first Transformer toy. His arrogance coupled with his indecisiveness towards the Decepticon cause always made him interesting for me.

10. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

That was the idea, to make the TF's more relatable. One of the smartest moves that was ever done to a prospective toy line.

11. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

flaws are what make characters

12. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I've always liked Optimus Prime in most continuities because he's such a nice person, and that's his downfall. He cares too much, and that's usually why he dies or gets a beating.

Also IDW Prowl, he's pretty much the antithesis of Optimus. Really makes you wonder what exactly a "good guy" is.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yes, which is one of the reasons I thought it would be cool to have a thread about it. :wink: 

Also, I totally agree on it being one of the smartest moves for a toyline. The TRANSFORMERS brand and each of the characters is a Hasbro venture (there are some who like to rant on Hasbro for things all of the time, of course). Also, especially with characters like G1 Bumblebee, each story has to have its entry point for the audience.

Speaking of Bumblebee, I always enjoyed that he was the "smallest" Autobot, yet he is resourceful, relatable, and is generally upbeat. That in itself is a great entry point into a story :) 

14. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I loved how someone had actually sat down and thought what this robot could do, his personality, his weaknesses. It was a very nice touch.

I think as a child I could relate to the characters as they maybe had the same flaws as myself.

I'm afraid of heights - think of Silverbolt

etc

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I guess a lot of this has to do with Beast Machines, but I've grown to like Cheetor quite a lot, and I could easily see him becoming the "Rodimus" of his generation.

Along with that, I really wish that we'd been able to see more of Rampage, as he always seemed like a character with a lot of potential, but just not a lot of time left on his clock to move forward with.

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always liked Jazz, because (as someone stated), I liked his tendency to get distracted.
    I loved rumble due to his Napoleon complex
    Wheeljack especially due to his zany ideas, but they never worked out due to wahtever reason

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like Prowl because he's a logical prick and not really a team player kinda charecter think Cyclops from X-Men.

Hot Rod/Rodimus, Hotshot and Cheetor are all great charecters because i like the young impulsive charecters who wise up[ and become leaders in the their own way.

I also love Lugnut's blind loyalty. :lol  He puts BW Inferno and Energon Mirage to shame.

Shockwave and Soundwave deleting their personality and emotion for knowledge makes them their coolest attribute. Scroubge's death affecting Blaster in the Marvel comics and Animated Optimus Prime in general.

Starscream's ego, Megatron's malicious warmongering personality and even Optimu's freedom is the right of all sentinet beings are all attribute that can give them flaws.

Hell i think Drift has flaws because of his Decepticon past but i can see why people dislike him. He's now perfect it loses his edge.

18. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

There were a couple scenes in MTMTE part 3 that have always stuck out to me as Primes most human momments. When Prime orders Sideswipe to hand over his rocket-pack, Sideswipe objects and Prime raises his voice in anger. When he fails to stop Megatron and crashes back to earth.... and he is being helped back to his feet Prime yells at Jazz...."I said I'm fine." These two little momments define Prime for me as a real person. He lost his stoic leader fascad, over taken with frustration showing anger and barking orders at his troops... effectivly taking it out on them. So to me, even though it hasn't really happened since then; that Primes fault is that he has a bit of a temper when he gets frustrated.

I wish Transformers Prime 'Optimus Prime' had such characterization. Pitty.

19. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Soundwave follows a giant idiot while he's completely capable of ruling everything all by himself and his fellow microcassettes.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the characters already mentioned. Trailbreaker's low self esteem covered up by his jovial nature. Thundercracker's inner conflict. Silverbolt constantly fighting his fear of heights. Inferno's blind loyalty and identity crisis.

One flaw I don't like that wasn't in his early incarnations, is Prowl being a prick. His tech specs describe him as patient and logical. A listener, not a talker. I usually love Furman's work but I hate what he did to Prowl.

I also agree with Prime's outbursts in MTMTE. First time I remember a good guy in a cartoon losing it with his friends.

Also, I always loved Huffer's line: "But we're not fighters like they are, Prime!" Again a first for me in what's essentially a superhero show. Even at a young age, this line intrigued me. It showed the Autobots as victims, reluctant heroes who had war forced upon them. Quite deep for a cartoon.

Other character's I enjoy because of their flaws include:

Rodimus Prime and his self doubt.

Marvel Thunderwing's obsession with the Matrix.

Marvel Scorponok/Lord Zarak and their inner conflicts.

DW Sunstreaker. A sociopath. Though I hate bullies, I did enjoy his portrayal in Dreamwave's ongoing. Had the funniest line ever when he said he had to wipe Bumper's tailpipe. Laughed my head off at that.

Shrapnel's 'speech defect' with his eerie sibilant repetition of certain syllables makes him cool.

The blind, misplaced loyalty of Cyclonus, Demolisher, Lugnut and Inferno is always fun to watch.

Detour's MTMTE profile and his cowardice is interesting especially since Blackjack uses it to guage danger on a mission.

Repugnus MTMTE profile. An Autobot psychopath. A bad, good guy and necessary evil.

Sludge - his shyness and lack of intelligence.

Snarl - his loathing of his dinosaur mode. I like the unhappy loner description too.

Scavenger's constant attempt to gain the other con's approval.

Scrapper's modesty.

Hook's arrogance and perfectionism.

Dragstrip's competitiveness.

Metroplex modesty and frustration at not being able to move around, particularly when his friends are in danger.

Animated Wasp - give him an obsession with the Matrix and he'd be Gollum. A truely tragic character, framed and wrongfully imprisoned. A fugitive. It gets me everytime I hear him scream in the transwarp chamber. Chilling.

Rotorstorm's lack of self esteem covered by bravado.

Pyro's Prime obsession.

Overlord's Megatron obsession.