Character development for Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Flashdisk, May 10, 2012.

?

Should Optimus Prime be serious all the time?

Poll closed May 30, 2012.
  1. No. Transformers also doesn't have the time to dwell on it.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes. He needs it to stay sane and connect with his men.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The way I see it, I think it would be nice if Optimus gets more development.

-I want to know his hobbies, quirks, likes and dislikes.
    -I'd like to see him conversing about none serious matters with the autobots(and the kids). He could have a drink of energon with them, tell jokes, tell stories, tell life stories.
    -I'd like to see him play a game. Basketball? Computer games.
    -Also, it would be great to hear him laugh once in a while.

I really liked the episode loose cannons, seeing him in a awkward situation within Wheeljack's ship. I'd like more of that.

If Prime's don't party, I think it would be good character development if he learns how to.

2. frost_fenix

frost_fenix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they've pretty much threw the chance to "develop" Prime Optimus out of the window by now. Idk, it just that they've made him saying and doing the same thing over and over again so far.

3. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Nope!

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I want Arcee to laugh first.

5. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Yep!

6. Una

Una Well-Known Member

Yes, I would love to see some character development for Optimus, but like someone has said, it seems the creators don't want to. :/ That's a shame.

I mean we had past episodes which hinted for some development then it crashes down. =(

7. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Apparently most of you fail to realize that there was character development for optimus 25+ years ago. he's got the matrix of leadership which contains the combined knowledge of the primes, and his billions of years old now. how can you say he needs even more development?

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

lolwut.

This makes no sense.

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. He needs it to stay sane and connect with his men.

10. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why can't he just be stoic? Does Optimus need to be like G1, the live action movies, Beast Wars (yeah, I know he was Optimus Primal, but you know who he was supposed to be) or any other incarnation of the brand? Everything about this series and the one before it has something unique about it and its characters. This Optimus is stoic[​IMG]

11. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just because He's serious doesn't mean he has poor character development. I think we've gotten to see how prime went from a clerk into the prime he is now and how he stood for right. I think He's gotten some good developement thus far.

12. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Pretty much like this.
    I almost wanted the scraplets had eaten Vector Sigma before restoring the Key.

13. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I don't buy it. He went from almost mourning Megatron's apparent death in Masters and Students to ultimately deciding that Megatron HAD to die for the sake of peace in One Shall Fall, though he was willing to spare any Decepticon that was willing to step aside.
    Then in Crossfire, immediately after saying "we don't kill defenceless enemies," he's ready to blast a defenceless Megatron's head off. In Flying Mind he was ready to use, essentially, a Cybertronian WMD on the entire Earth-based Decepticon force, not even making the distinction between Megatron and his followers that he made in One Shall Fall.

To say that this Optimus Prime is without character development is to ignore what Prime's actually done through the course of the show.
    Just because Prime's not an inexperienced putz like he was in Animated doesn't mean he isn't lacking in strong character development in his own way.

I will say this though, Hasbro needs to get off of their "Prime doesn't use contractions" nonsense (see the Toy Feature on the BluRay set). It makes Prime's speech seem more stilted, which is a problem when you're already writing a stoic character.

14. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    Not for Optimus Prime only...

I remember Ratchet laughed, and that was stupid.

I do not see any "development" in a way, where all Autobots have a relay baton passing between them.
    Arcee: laughs on Wednesday, gets angry on Friday and parties on Sartuday.
    Prime: laughs on Friday, gets angry on Sunday and parties on Thursday.
    Bumblebee: laughs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and gets angry on Sartuday.

They'd better didn't go off the beaten track of their behaviour, but share some new verges of well- known lines.

And for development episodes: I like, how it was in ATLA: five- minute stories, different for every member or group of members, showing something personal in a few words and actions.
    And regarding Prime "only", if there would be an episode "how Optimus Prime gets on with everyone around", I want it to be the same, as how I have mentioned about ATLA: three minutes for Arcee getting on with Miko, two minutes for BulkHead getting on with Bumbleebee and so on.

15. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I think when he opted to drive by himself rather than party with his friends when Wheeljack first showed up kind of illustrates a distance he feels from his troops. Megatron may have been the closest thing he had to a real buddy.

16. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

There's been some development, yes, strong however? Not really. He's gone from having no problem killing any Con EXCEPT Megatron to also not having a problem killing Megaton.

The thing is you can have a 'detached from his men' leader and still give them fuller characterization, see Picard from TNG.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's ok if he's serious like Movie Prime, but this Optimus Prime is just boring. Stoic != needs to be boring

18. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

I like him the way he is, but I wouldn't be against a few scenes of him being not so serious.

19. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I've come to the conclusion that Oppy Poppy is "boring" because he's supposed to be. That's his defining character trait. G1 is a cowboy, Movie is a serious but emotional warrior, and Prime Prime is a stoic hardened by thousands of years of warfare, the deaths of his comrades, and the betrayal of his best friend. Optimus staying emotionally distant from the other characters says more about him than him going epic speech mode and saying THIS IS HOW I AM FEELING for no reason to all of his troops that depend on him as an emotional and moral anchor.

20. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

If she has to laugh before Optimus gets some character development, then he'll be the same for the rest of the show :\