Character collections and movie toys

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, May 5, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I have a question I've been wondering for a while. This is for anyone who's collection is based on a favorite character and especially if that character has upcoming movie toys.

With all the stuff coming out lately, I've decided in the past year or so to focus my collection on a favorite character, namely Bumblebee. At first I was excited by all the new movie stuff coming out, but now I'm just feeling overwhelmled. I was trying to shift my collection's focus to avoid the completism I'd been feeling with Alts and Classics, but now I just find myself heading for a different sort of completism.

Do I get an item even if it doesn't thrill me just because it features my favorite character?

How do you handle radical changes in the looks of your favorite character, do you get those toys too?

I like Bumblebee's robot movie design okay. But one of the main reasons loved Bee originally was because he was a VW Bug, not so much as the Camero. Though it certainly didn't stop me from buying the Classics version of Bee so he doesn't HAVE to be a VW but I definately prefer it.

Do/will you also include statues and other things like T-Shirts of the character, mugs, etc. in your character collection?

I know the basic princlple of buy only what you like. Still, I could use a little help deciding. I was wondering just where some of you with character collections draw the line and what are some of your strategies, especially you Op, Megs, or Screamer collectors since those three have had a lot of toys over the years and will for the new movie too.

2. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I can't get why people would buy a toy they didn't like just because it exists. Seriously, just get what you like. If it's your obligation that's causing you to continue buying then you need to quit.

3. Fairlady_Z

Don't worry, I'm not going to get anything I don't like. I've rarely regretted my TF purchases. I'm NOT going to hunt down some rare Japanese variant of a toy I already have. Nor would I ever pay big money just to get something ultra rare. That's just not me.

But there is a difference between getting a toy you like versus getting one you love. And I was just curious how other people handled their own character collection who have been doing it longer than I have and if they had any tips to help me refine my shopping list. That's all really.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish I could find more TF stuph I don't like. :D 

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I often stick with things I really like- which is generally about 20% of a line. That is a little different with short running lines like classics, but for most major lines, that's how it is. I am also partial to Prime, but there are so many out there that I don't even try to get them all, I just like to make sure I have what I consider the best.

Kinda surprised you favorite character isn't Prowl...

6. Fairlady_Z

I think you meant Bluestreak, since that's who's in my sig. And there aren't enough Bluetreak toys out there to really justify a character collection of him unfortunately. There's like what? G1 Bluestreak and Alt Silverstreak and Binaltech and the G1 reissue and that's it as far as I know. Maybe Alt Camshaft would count too. So I chose my other favorites Bumblebee and Hot Rod/Rodimus instead.

7. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Well for me I'll buy everything, but the next time I do this picture, I'll only have "Figures" which means anything that is a figure molded from plastic/die cast.

http://www.ezy.net/~avenger/PrimeTime1.JPG

8. AutoBot Mirage

AutoBot Mirage Autobot Secret Agent

I only buy what I like. Me = Poor.... **sobs quitley**

9. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I hear ya! Unfortunately, with this movie coming out, I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like...my wallet weeps...

10. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You can probably guess as to the focus of my collection. For me transformable figures takes the lead. Then statues, pvcs ect. Then other odds and ends.

I don't dwell on how much stuff is out there that I don't have yet, and I am not about to try and go on a mad rush to find it all. I go piece by piece. I may never have everything but I can be happy with what I am able to aquire.

I realy need to take some updated pics.

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ahh, but see, that's great.... that makes it much easier to have a complete collection of something!

I for one am quite proud of my 100% complete collection of Tailgate figures. :D 

12. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd say you hit the nail squarely one the head with that statement. As soon as you start buying stuff you don't really want, just cause it's such-and-such character, it's time to step back and seriously evaluate why you're collecting in the first place.

As for where I draw the line, I collect Prime stuff, so there's plenty to choose from. I have around 170 individual Optimus Prime toys, not counting posters, comics, t-shirts, etc. But if something doesn't appeal to me, I don't get it. It has to have the right feel to it, you know what I mean? I have a number of statues and PVCs. I also get comic covers that feature Prime exclusively or prominatly. T-shirts with Prime are usually a winner in my book too. But don't feel obligated to pick up something just cause it's you fav. character. If you don't like camaro-BB, then focus your collection G-1 BB, or VW-BB. Personally, I think seeing different incarnations of my favorite character standing side by side is really neat, so I have Optimus Primes from every TF line.

In the end, your collection is for you, and has to make you happy. When I walk into my living room and see my "Wall-O-Primes" I get a big goofy grin. It's doesn't matter wether or not someone else thinks your collection is complete or whatever. What's important is that you enjoy it.

Anyway, hope that helps! Sometimes I get a little long winded! :lol 

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I buy anything Prime since he is the center of my collection. Beyond just anything I like.

I like the movie because it is helping me concentrate on my Prime collection. I just got my first Prime statue at a great price and can't wait to start getting other Prime statues.