changing/expanding characters or the mythos itself

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Abrogate, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who buys a new toy and then decides that Hasbro's official canon bio isnt good enough. So here's a thread for those of us who've expanded on or drastically altered aspects of the TF universe to fit our own ideas.

Alternators Ricochet and the Secret Police: Despite the fact that Stepper spent many years as a holy grail, when he got re-issued, it seemed like almost no one wanted it. And his Alternators rendition didn't fair much better. But personally, I loved it. He wasn't a new character, he had been a part of G1 since 1987. He just never got any kind of backstory, and so the idea of making one got my creative juices flowing. First, I borrowed an idea from the Howlback and Garboil bios. I took the Decepticon Secret Police, and made it into a full-scale Cybertronian Secret Police. A force that exists outside the jurisdiction of the war, and has the right to imprison not only civilains, but most soldiers too, under certain circumstances. As the name "Secret" Police would suggest, it mostly consists of covert types.

Of course, they dont have the authority to imprison big names like Prime or Megatron. In fact, even though the members of the Secret Police swear allegiance to the Police Force and nothing else, they have to be registered as either faction. Since Prime and Megatron hold total authority over their respective forces, if they feel that there's a Secret Police member who's skills would benefit their factions on a particular mission, they have the right to draft them temporarily. But by dividing up the Force, they cant have a situation where Megatron drafts everyone and takes advantage, or something to that effect. Plus, the members do have freedom of will, and are thus allowed to be registered with whichever faction fits their own personalities.

Ricochet is a member of this force. I got this idea from the fact that his Japanese name was different from his American one. Yes, I realize this is the case with a lot of Transformers characters (Jazz > Meister, for instance), but usually those characters are released at the same time. The name Stepper had been his only name for over 15 years, and so when he was given an American name, it was almost like a stand-in name. I took this idea and ran with it; as a secret police member, he is not obligated to tell the general issue Autobots his real name, and can take a code name whenever Optimus drafts him; which is often, because his skill as a marksman is very useful. Furthermore, his very quick temper is just a facade personality. By not acting friendly towards the general issue class, he alienates himself and thus doesnt lose his secret police mindset by getting too chummy. His strong sense of justice and his love of helping innocents (as seen in his only ever media appearance in the manga) belies his true personality.

In addition to putting Ricochet in this Secret Police team, I also retconned several other characters. I decided that since Howlback and Garboil are Secret Police, and since so many of the other Cassettecons are built for covert ops, that Soundwave having influence over them is no mere coincidence. He is one of the founding members of the Police Force, a former captain, but left to become one of Megatron's lieutenants. Likewise, Jazz was among the Autobot founders and captains of the force, and he left to become one of Prime's lieutenants. As such, Ricochet has a great deal of respect for Jazz. That's why he looked like him in G1 (his reason for changing in the Alt storyline? To fit in better with the general issues). Also, his flame decals are an homage to Jazz's love of style. Mirage is also a secret police member (thus his "lost cause" personality is also a facade) and Smokescreen is a former member (hence why he's so good at deception and information gathering).

Before the war, the "Secret Police" were just regular police, which meant they were more about law enforcement and security than covert and special ops. Back then, Ironhide, Downshift, Red Alert, and Prowl were among the top cops. Prowl, however, didn't really care for law enforcement, and as soon as the war started he quickly enlisted. He felt his strategist skills would be much more handy in a military. Ironhide also joined as Prime's friend and bodyguard. Downshift, meanwhile, joined the Omnibots, feeling that protecting the timestream was more important than upholding peace on one planet. So, these 3 character didnt care too much about the Police Force. Red Alert, on the other hand, did, and he tried to go back to the Force after spending time as a soldier. However, they wouldnt let him in due to his panicky personality. This greatly upset him, as he was able to become fairly important as a soldier (Director of Autobot Security) but was shunned from his former profesion.

In addition to making such a back story for Ricochet, I also decided that I didnt want 2 Ravages in my Alternators continuity. So, I've elected to make the upcoming 2nd Ravage into Howlback herself. Because of her duty as a Secret Police, she joined the hunt to find out who was responsible for sealing the Decepticons in a time rift and altering history (Binaltech storyline for those who arent aware). As we know, BW-era Ravage is the one who did this. Now, Howlback has a grudge against Ravage, as she felt slighted by the fact that Soundwave favored him over her. Once she finds out that he's behind all this, she naturally gets pissed, feeling that he turned on Megatron (since she's loyal to him and Soundwave and she though Ravage was too). However, she isnt good enough to take him down, and he forces her to join him. Thus, they develop a Tarantulas-Blackarachnia hate/hate kind of relationship.

Energon Dreadwing: This is one is going to be much shorter. Dreadwing was obviously meant to be an homage to Scourge and the Sweeps. The logical thing to do would be to just rename him Scourge and have him join Energon Galvatron as the new G1 Unicronians. However, I wanted to take it in a different direction. Rather than be Scourge himself, how about being just one Sweep? And instead of setting this in regular G1, set it in a future/alternate timeline in which Scourge and Galvatron had been wiped out long ago.

Now, my understanding of Unicron is that he was created before the Universe, and when it was created, it upset him terribly. He's so evil that the smallest existence of life is enough to disturb his great sleep. And that's all he really wants to do is sleep in the lifeless void for all eternity. But as long as life exists, he's dedicated to systematically terminating it. Dreadwing, being a Sweep and thus being loyal to Unicron, shares this mentality. As all of Dreadwing's allies were destroyed long ago, he has taken to just drifting and sleeping through space.

However, at some point in time, he awakens to the fact that new Unicronians (the ones from the Universe continuity like Razorclaw) have been born. He seeks them out. They have many great plans in the works, all of which will hopefully culminate in the reawakening of their master. Dreadwing is not one for such complex thinking, but he does know one thing: this will give him the chance to kill again. And killing is his only joy in life besides drifting in the void. Furthermore, his name is not Dreadwing, but simply "Dread" itself.

I have a few more ideas--mostly involving Cybertron Sideways, RiD Axer, and Cybertron Scourge--but these aren't fully fleshed out. Besides, I've rambled long enough. Now it's your turn to lay down your own ideas and/or give me feedback.

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Those are great ideas. I do something similar, but it usually involves giving new names to repaints (I like Armada Demolisher and his repaints, so I give each of them his own name - it makes sense to me that robots would look the same. They are just the same model that rolled off the assembly line).

I also have a general idea in my head that the G1 homages in Armada/Energon/Cybertron are the actual G1 characters who have returned to the war and that A/E/C all happen way in the future beyond G1, G2 and Beast Wars.

Finally, I almost always take comic personalities and G1 bio card personalities (check out Onslaught's awesome bio) over the cartoon characterization.

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I really don't think that much about the characters/figures in that way.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That's cool. Armada Demolishor was one of my favorite Armada molds too, and I intended to do something similar. Unfortunately I never got around to buying Powerlinx when it was in stores, and I wasnt even gonna attempt to fight the KB-exclusive. :( 

Same here. I have a big notepad file which details all the Alternators based on how their Marvel Universe bio described them. That's why I love getting characters who werent around during the Marvel era, such as Ricochet, cos then I get to write my own :D 

Sorry to hear that, but this is a thread for people who do! Imagination is the spice of life!

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I recreate the backstories so they all fit into G1 somehow, and rename all the characters that have reused names. The exceptions are Alternators and Classics, but it's sort of a moot point anyway since soon I'll just be putting all my TFs on shelves to display and won't be messing around with them much anymore.