Changing Aspect Ratio of Movies

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigertrack, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I've got about a ton of movies on my computer and all are great. However, what annoys the hell out of me, is their all in wide-screen. I know a lot of people enjoy wide-screen as they say they see more in the picture, but I can't stand the black bars on the top and bottom of the picture! It's worse when you have a special wide-screen TV and you still get it! UGGGH!
    Plus, my IMac computer isn't a wide-screen and the movie look's very thin on the screen.

So my question is, is there any way to change the entire movie from wide-screen format to full-screen format? I was searching in Apples downloads section and they have something called Aspect Ratio 16:9. Is that what I want to use?
    It stinks having a nice large screen and get only a sliver of a picture on it! I HATE wide-screen formats! :banghead: 

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Use the zoom button.

3. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    No, there isn't a way to do that unless you want to significantly alter the picture by zooming in then removing the sides or pushing everything into a smaller area (which would elongate the picture on the screen). Either way, it would be much worse than having black bars on the screen as you change the film that you're watching.

16:9 is the standard aspect ratio for HDTV monitors.

If you're buying films, you can look for pan-and-scan versions (if they're still making them) which at least try to preserve a sense of original framing for a film.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I notice that when I play the movies from my Ipod and through an Ipod/TV adaptor, the Ipod itself has an option of screen-fitting. Our 55 LED Samsung has options of changing from the "square" format, to wide-fit and zooming in.
    However, my Imac has none of those features, so if I want to watch the movie on my computer, again, I get a very thin film.

5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

This thread is full of fail (i.e. Talk of full screen, pan & scan etc. - all of it evil that should never be mentioned ever again).

6. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    DVD Player application should be able to do the same thing. I seem to recall it being under Window at the top then Video Zoom. You need to check the box.

Eh, pan-and-scan, zoom, or any alteration to the original film's format is clearly inferior, as has been made clear in the thread. The responses are just trying to be helpful to the question as preservation of the film's original representation doesn't seem to concern Marcatron.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have my PC connected to a 32" HDTV and i can't stand 4:3 ratio at all anymore.

and when i see Pan and Scan movies, i get motion sickness because it is unnatural during play back for the film to run and the image shifts over just to allow you to see what you could with widescreen.

so IMHO, either accept those black bars or get a new monitor.
    the other options are unacceptable.