Customs: Changing a Movie Leaders SFX??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by lostnfound, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

I know nothing about the inner electronics of a Transformer, so I figure I'd ask the folks on here.

My biggest peeve about the movie leaders like Starscream and Ironhide is that their electronics - their voices specifically - sound nothing like their movie voiceover counterparts.

So my question is, is there any way to change them at all? And I don't mean simply disable them, but actually change them. Its robably impossible I know, but could you use audio from the movie to replace it? Like Ironhide's line from the movie "Class dismissed"

I don't see how you could do it, but I figured I'd ask since I think it would be pretty cool.

Any ideas?

2. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

bump

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I swear I saw this thread with replies earlier...

In my experience the soundchips are solid-state without any kind of swappable or read/write capable media, so it's no small notion to try and do so.

if you're handier with electronics, I imagine it would be possible to swap out the whole sound board with an alternate device, and tie it into the activation-leads and the speaker-leads in the toy so that it would SEEM like you pushed the button and it made a "new" sound.

I think you can find such devices (i.e. a compact sized widgit that can record/store/playback sound) pretty easily online. For a kind-of-sort-of similar project I actually grabbed a great little device at the Build-A-Bear Workshop (No seriously), it was a little quarter-sized (but thicker) thingamabob that would could record a sound (your voice, etc.) and then after that every time you pushed the button it would play back that sound. It was intended to be used to make your Bear play Mommy's voice when you hugged it (or whatever) but it was a cheap little device with a lot of potential!

Whatever path you take though, you'd best be good with electronics though :) 

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

5. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

I agree. You could buy or build an EPROM/EEPROM programmer to erase then reload a new sound to the chip but destrongerlupus is right these aren't removable media and it's not like using the SD card in your phone or camera to change the sound here. If you don't have the electronics background, I think you'd have a real challenge. However, sometimes someone finds a simple hack for these types of things like jumping particular pins while having other pins connected to the output of a feeding sound source for example so you never know, maybe someone has figured something like that out for these particular chips in TF's. The Universe Onslaught (2008?) had a problem with its sound module at first, where the siren only chirped instead of being continuous. Maybe you can search the boards and see if anyone ever figured that one out. Mine was a bad one chirp siren but I didn't really care enough since I take the batteries out anyway.

If you don't have a Build-A-Bear store near you and you'd like to use destrongerlupus's idea of a packaged recordable sound chip, try the greeting card aisle or a Hallmark and look for a card to buy where you can record your own sound clips (obviously NOT the ones that have a pre-recorded song or sound when you open it since that would put you right back where you started). I've used the electronics out of a greeting card that had blinking LEDs for something once and also one with a recordable module like he's talking about (quarter sized but thicker) but not for a Transformer mod. The benefit is they're cheap, fairly readily available and by default small, though you may have to get creative to get it to work in a Leader class TF's electronics area.

Also Satomiblood's suggestion of contacting RyanUybengkee sounds like a good one, clearly in that video he's figured something out. Good luck.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    *Face palm* How did I forget about those record-your-own-greeting cards???? I used to work in Hallmark!

OTOH though, while more cheaply and readily available the greeting-card units have a VERY high fail rate, we used to have to damage out and send back a lot of those puppies. IIRC the ones that don't fail more or less right away seem to stay good however. Also, I don't think their powersource is very readily replaceable either.

Anyway, fun discussion in this thread! Hopefully the OP is getting somethign useful from it!

7. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

Yeah, another good point. I'm sure those modules aren't the most well made but it could still be a good option to the OP since they're relatively cheap, just buy three or four identical cards to hedge your bets. Don't look at it as a waste of money on cards, it's just parts for modding and still cheaper than learning to re-program the things. Radioshack sells a recording module for $10 but I think it's way to big to fit in a Transformer and takes a 9v battery as opposed to a button cell. As for the batteries in card modules, the one's I've seen (YMMV of course) have had an accessible button battery (maybe an SR44 or similar compatible type) that could be popped out of a little metal cage without breaking anything else on the module. I made something with one a few years ago and as of a couple weeks ago anyway, it still works and apparently has sufficient power. Hope he let's us know what he ended up doing.