Change of "Transformers" pace....is in the Eye of beholder?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ExtremeGz, May 22, 2010.

1. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    Given the fact that TF3 is already set in stone with the same Director.... same main human characters sans Miss Fox..... and the same "look" of the Transformers....does anyone (really) think that a totalitarian change would do this TF money-maker any justice? Or, do you think that just a change in Director would help? Maybe it should pull a "Spiderman" and kick Mr. Shia to the curb?

ExtremeGz

2. Prime82

Prime82 Optimus knows all

I think just a change in director would help. The robots look great and the effects are almost too realistic. Its the way the writers have to fight so much to have what they want in it and not be left alone for a few months so they can write. Its the kind of actors they get for the film and what they let the actors do. If every idea is given the ok, ur not really being a director. I think michael bay is a good director, I just think he isnt open enough to grow as a director, whenever you staple ur name on top of every movie you make, ur basically saying all my films are so similar that its my style. Crazy humor and action sequences are his specialty. Hed function better as a producer and stunt coordinator for transformers.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think they will promise us all the change in the world to build up some buzz for the third film, but as long as we have the same production crew nothing is really going to change all that much.

Until some reboot is done years down the road I sort of feel that we are stuck with what we have now. Maybe a little less of this and a little more of that, but no one in the production crew is bold enough to really shake things up.

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    THe only thing that will be different from TF3, well relatively different (and I'm crossing my fingers on this one) is the story, if it they can pull it off in telling us, and taking us somewhere during the film, and both Bay and Spielberg love the script, I think it will undoubtedly do good.

There will be no writer's strike this year (I hope), and if everyone has high hopes for the script, then hey.. let the count down begin! :thumb 

5. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bay  has never made a movie that has been significantly any different than any of the other movies :bay  has made. To believe TF3 will be any different is the textbook definition of insanity. The only way for a TF movie to be any different is to get a new director. The only way for that to happen is for :bay  is to walk away. Hasbro would never force a change because, after ROTF, it's obvious that Hasbro doesn't care about quality so long as the $$$ keeps rolling in.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I watched TF1 last night and was noticing how vastly better it was than ROTF. What the series is missing and desperately needs is the Spielbergian flourishes that made the first so good. It was a little bit ET and a little bit Close Encounters, with some Indiana Jones thrown in for good measure. I think mostly this is due to Orci and Kurtzman doing a good job, but I also believe Ehren Krueger is capable of doing the same.

So given that there can be a huge quality difference between the first and second, why not the second and third? I just hope this time it's for the better.

7. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    ROTF major problem was editing. The first half of the movie was great, save for the dog humping and forced makeout scene with Sam and Alice. The second half was the problem... For example, since Jetfire is in Egypt, why didn't they just fly to the locations they needed to in him? Would have saved a lot of the desert moping that made that part of the movie drag.

The pace is fine, but ROTF was obviously rushed. If Bay takes his time and combs over this and has it ready it should be great. From my understanding, the movie was being rewritten AFTER major filming, meaning the movie may have been edited to reflect scenes that weren't shot with dialogue in mind. Then the writers strike allowed Bay to add his flavor... Orci and Kurtzman seem to have had different ideas and so you had a script written by people with opposing ideas. This time, seems Ehren Kruger and Bay were working together. If they are the sole vision, that bodes well for the film having a uniform flow. The movie moved to fast for it to slowdown in the middle like it did... you could see the Orci and Kurtzman style of overexplaning scientific ideals. It shoulda built to that pace, or kept it going the whole movie.

Avatar did one thing better than ROTF... it presented its story as a cohesive bit of storytelling, with a single vision. RoTF was all over the place in storytelling and pace, so it felt haphazard and was hard to digest.

8. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that makes TF1 appear to be anything remotely "good" is the simply horrendous quality of ROTF. Yeah, Simmons' boxers are so much better than his thong. BB peeing is so vastly superior to Wheelie humping. TF1 has the same crap in it as ROTF, but the first movie at least has the thinnest semblance of a plot. The only Spielbergian element was the notion of a boy and his car. To compare what :bay  has done to ET, Close Encounters, or the Indy movies (OK, maybe Crystal Skull) is stretching it.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't see why not- there was a change of pace between TF1 and TF2. It's not hard to comprehend that there could be a change of pace between TF2 and TF3.

10. Ash from Carolina

I think some of the changes had a huge impact on the feel of the movie.

First film the Autobots are on their own roaming around Earth so there is this really nice feeling that the robots really could be anywhere at any time. You also don't get introduced to all the Autobots at once so there is also that feeling that at any time maybe more Autobots could show up. Confining the Autobots to a military base and working with the military really killed that anything anywhere feel.

The Decepticon detectors really didn't help either. Just doesn't feel like the Decepticons can jump out of anywhere to attack if both the Autobots and the humans can detect them in vehicle mode. In the first film you could say well maybe Ironhide knows it's Starscream because they have fought so much he knows how he flys, but are they really robots in disguise if they are so easy to detect.

The rail gun was also another bad idea. At least the first film they could use the excuse well he had to jump a motorcycle, slide, and get lucky to hit a weak spot to kill Blackout with one shot. You could claim well yea they have to go above and beyond to kill a Decepticon. Now killing Decepticons is only a call away to either a rail gun or an air strike. Characters don't have to do some crazy heroic thing just to take out the bad guys anymore.

I'm just not sure what the writers bag of tricks will be to get back a feeling of robots in disguise or that it's just a forgone conclusion the Autobots and humans will win. Just how do they put the feeling of mystery and tension back in?

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just a line from a NEST operative or Autobot saying there doesn't seem to have been any Decepticon activity for a while or maybe there is and perhaps they've found a way around the detectors could put some of that feeling back. A simple line of dialogue that wipes away that whole detector mess. Same with making the Decepticons harder to kill by giving them personal shields to negate or lessen the effects of sabot rounds, air strikes and rail guns. I thought the stuff about Blackout having an energy aura in the first film was going to lead to that meaning they're hard to kill.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm hoping TF3 will finish out the Bay movies on a high note. But the only chance for a really solid TF movie is with a reboot and a new director.

It could be a change for the better, it could be a change for the worse. It's not as fresh as it was in 2007. A-listers may not want to tackle Transformers, so we could end up with a less high-profile movie. But it could also go the other way, since now they know transformers is a bankable concept, all they have to do is make a good film.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Spielbergian Elements:

1) The story of a boy and his car.
    2) Tying events in the fictional story to real place(s) and historical eras or events.
    3) An artifact or object shrouded in mystery and power.
    4) A gauntlet that the main character must run to prove himself.

True, this was attempted in ROTF, but came off less Spielberg and more BOOM! So it failed.

And I'm not saying that the toilet humor in ROTF was acceptable, but I hardly think the humor in TF1 ruins it. It was a good movie, a fun adventure with heart.

14. Ash from Carolina

I think you could also throw in slowing things down to enjoy the wow factor.

The big wow moment of Jurassic Park was not in the crazy action but when we see the dinosaurs for the first time.

First Transformers film we get that wow moment when things have slowed down to see the first transformation of characters like Blackout, Bumblebee and Prime.

Just one of the great Spielberg movie tricks to take you from the ordinary into the fantastic in a nicely paced moment.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Good point. The overall wow factor was thrown out the window in ROTF, in a slough of missed opportunities. One thing that bothered me most is how instead of easing us into the story, we are dropped in the middle of a giant robot firefight in Shanghai, with no respect paid to the wow factor of the scale of what was happening.

Instead of a profound philosophical musing that only foreshadows things to come, we hear Optimus get literal, telling us straight up that he and the Autobots are in a squad of elite soldiers hunting down Decepticons. I think "Our worlds... have met before" would have been a fine place to leave it.

It takes the fantastical and renders it impotent by giving it nonchalant treatment. I realize the origin story is finished, but I think Bay took that as an excuse to throw away the sense of "first time wonderment" that could have been achieved by treating the material with more reverence.

16. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Giant robot fights is all I need, guess im easily pleased, Rotf has one of the best fight scenes of any movie if ya ask me :D 

17. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I would not be opposed to that... it would work.

I think they just need to slow the plot down and let room for robot character development... yes, I know I'm :horse:  but it's what needs to happen.

18. Prime82

Prime82 Optimus knows all

Totally agree that our worlds have met before would have been enough. The beginning was self-explanatory. It takes you out of the movie some right away having optimus actually talk to the audience and tell them whats going on