Chance for a United Ultra Magnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zannus, Feb 1, 2012.

1. zannus

zannus Well-Known Member

Does anyone think there is a chance we may see Takara release Ultra Magnus in their United line? The current waves coming out are older molds never released over seas in addition to some recent molds and a repaint. Trying to decide if I want to purchase a price hiked Magnus or wait it out and sit here with an empty City Commander shell.

2. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

I don't think they would, but I sure wish they would. If I want to pose my City Commander set, I unfortunately have to stuff him with my SDCC Nemesis Prime. I'd like to own Magnus, but he's just so expensive...

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they did they would probably take their own crack on the color scheme and not reuse the old classics mold

4. zannus

zannus Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to get the Kold Blue Convoy, but I am not sure how it would look or if it would even fit with the legit City Commander set.

5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    i have ultramagnus with shadow armor i kinda want nemisisprime lol

6. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Don't think they would, but you never know. Might be better just to bite the bullet and buy Magnus now.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

If they did they probably wouldn't use the Voyager mold, but the Deluxe they've used a million times already.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There've only been six uses of the Voyager Prime mold (Classics, Henkei, Classics Magnus, Wonderfest Clear Convoy, SDCC Nemesis, Botcon SG) and the Seeker mold's been whored out more often, so has the Deluxe Bumblebee mold. I know Takara itself has only used the Deluxe Optimus mold twice (2010 Sons of Cybertron, United) but why would the Deluxe be the automatic candidate for Takara?

As for the possibility...I really doubt it. They could've done that and Cliffjumper, among other things (Sunstorm, G2 Starscream and Bumblebee, G2 Hero Optimus from the G2 Laser Optimus to go with Thunder Megs) but instead pulled out the four random molds from 5-6 years ago and went that route instead.

9. zannus

zannus Well-Known Member

Guess I better just act now before the Magnus/Skywarp sets go even higher.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

"A million times already"?

Twice.

Sons of Cybertron and United.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I was exaggerating, but it does seem like a lot since the first paint job for the mold has been reissued in almost every line, there is a pretty huge paragraph just on all the releases of the mold: See here.

Also, Hasbro and Takara should just make a new Ultra Magnus that isn't just a repaint of Prime. They did it in Titaniums, and I'm sure they could do it even better now without the restraint of having to put metal in the toy.

12. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Peanut butter, meet jelly.

13. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

0 chance unless there's a new mold; noticed TakaraTOMY does not do many senseless repaints unless exclusives? The revival of the Energon/Cybertron molds is because those molds were not released in Japan before. I am pretty sure they won't release a repainted Optimus Prime as Ultra Magnus unless it's an exclusive or comes with something new.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Japanese releases of white Optimus Prime toys as Ultra Magnus are more of an e-Hobby thing. E-Hobby repaints tend to be molds Takara is currently using. Takara isn't currently using the voyager mold for Prime.

15. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing the RTS G2 Prime mold repainted into Laser Rod Ultra Magnus, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Outside of possible e-hobby exclusives, I think they're going to hold off until there's a mold that does the whole Ultra Magnus right.

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Huh? United Megatron and Rodimus are both repaints of older figures. I don't think a United Ultra Magnus is a totally out of the question.

18. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I meant senseless repaints; like Bumblebee into Cliffjumper unless there is a good reason to; like a new head. You don't see TakaraTOMY doing many senseless repaint unless exclusives.

19. snoopcow

snoopcow Yaranaika?

a united re-release of classics prime and nemesis will be sweet, missed them the first time

20. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though the original Classics deco of Deluxe Optimus has been released multiple times, the toy itself has four unique decoes (Classics, Universe Special Edition, United, 2010 Sons of Cybertron). For what it's worth, it has been used less than the Voyager Optimus mold and all releases have been as Optimus; it's yet to be turned into a separate character (or even a separate "Black Convoy/Nucleon Quest Convoy" version of Optimus).

Because Bumblebee into Bumblebee (bringing him back for United) makes even more sense? That didn't stop them from redecoing the Legends Bumblebee into Cliffjumper with no remolding done for Henkei either.

I still don't see why Cliffjumper or Magnus qualify as "senseless" redecoes for Takara. Transformers have historically relied on redecoes so often to fill out character lineups so I don't see why Takara would draw a virtual line in the sand on Cliffjumper or Magnus but have no problems releasing Wipe-Out (Seriously, thought it's nice to get him, who was clamoring for that when Tailgate was the logical partner for a Windcharger two-pack? That would've been like packing Enemy in with Rumble instead of Frenzy) or new versions of Bumblebee, Voyager Megatron and Hot Rod that they've already covered in Henkei? "Senseless" releases, for the Japanese market at least, could also qualify in Drift, Straxus and Thunderwing over Skullgrin/Dauros and Black Shadow, which longtime Japanese fans would be more familiar with.

If Takara doesn't want to release them then they have their reasons for it, whatever that might be, but I don't see how the "senseless redeco" argument holds up very well (even if that's Takara's actual position). They could've refused to do Red Alert without remolding his head first, and they went ahead and released him with no indication that Hasbro would ever follow suit at the time. What exactly is stopping them with Cliffjumper and Magnus is a mystery to me, but for whatever reason, there's no indication we should expect them from Takara anytime soon.