CERN researchers confident in discovery of new subatomic particle - A boson

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aernaroth, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a boson: Higgs quest bears new particle | Reuters

So the CERN facility has accomplished one of its primary goals (or appears to have done so) - discovered the existance of the a new "boson" particle, very possibly the one proposed by Higgs.

What's a boson? It's a subatomic particle, one of the bits of matter that makes up atoms, which, in turn, make up the matter of our universe. Bosons are important because they are the carriers of various fundamental forces, such as weak force interactions, strong force interactions, and EM radiation.

Boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what? The Higgs-Boson is thought to be fundamental in how matter in the universe achieves mass. Thus, the existence of such a particle (before only a theoretical) helps to explain not only how the universe functions, but a number of "grey areas" as to where mass is distributed throughout the universe.

What's next? Testing, testing, testing. The results will have to be reproduced, naturally, and even then, this new Boson may not be a "true" Higgs-boson. While it may verify the Higgs mechanism, it may also deviate from the theory and function in entirely different or unforeseen aways, and only exhaustive testing and observation will determine how.

Still, it's a great discovery, and one that could represent a paradigm-shift in how we understand the greater universe.

2. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Oh dear, it's Chemistry 101... Is there any simpler way to read this article in?

3. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol, this is physics, not chemistry

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    All I can do is nod.

Seriously, science isn't my best subject.

5. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Either way, Physics and Chemistry are related.

6. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

better keep it away from Iran
    JK JK

interesting

7. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    One step closer to time travel... And only 24 more years until Mr. Titor shows up. (A guy can dream, okay?)

8. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Ooh brilliant! I've always been fascinated by the LHC ever since I first heard about it,I remember getting super-excited for a school visit there in yr12, but never got to go as I never got the required grades :(  that would have been incredible to see

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I hear the Iranian government is in possession of Bosons right now!

Okay, I'm seeing some calls here for a simplification, so let me see what I can do about that.

All "matter" in the universe is made up of atoms. The elemental atoms are building blocks for basically everything you can touch, and join together to form molecules, which in turn form structures, objects, etc. All atoms are composed of three main parts, protons and neutrons (which have a positive and a neutral charge, and exist closely packed in the centre of atoms), and electrons, which orbit the centre. Basic chemistry stuff.

But from there, it gets complicated. THOSE protons and neutrons are THEMSELVES composed of even smaller bits, called quarks. Those quarks are held together by particles caled gluons. Finally, gluons are considered a part of a group called the gauge bosons, which basically moderate the various forces we observe (such as the weak and strong nuclear force).

At this point, it's important to know that while electrons have mass, this mass is almost two thousand times smaller than the mass of a proton or a neutron. So proportionally, 99.9% of the mass in an atom will be borne by the protons and neutrons. The mass of something determines how gravity will interact with it, especially on an astronomical scale, and on an atomic scale. So it's extremely important to understand where the nature of that mass. But unfortunately, we still don't really understand what causes all those bits to stick together and form... well... stuff.

And that's where the Higgs-Boson comes in. It's another subatomic particle, a boson like gluons, that exists to mediate particles having mass. So to investigate it, as well as other effects, they built CERN, a massive supercollider that ramps up atoms and particles to ludicrous speed and then slams them into eachother, to watch how they behave. By doing this they hoped they could better observe the bits that make up atoms, and it appears it's given them a glimpse of some particle that looks like what they expect the Higgs-Boson to look like.

10. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Science hurts my brain.

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Hopefully this leads to the understanding and explanation of dark matter. My theory is that it acts like a non-Newtonian fluid, where its effects are really only felt at stronger forces, such as in a galaxy (and higher). At small scales, or smaller gravity, it's almost undetectable.

It's crazy that we can only detect a fraction of the mass of the universe where there should be more.

Then onto dark energy!

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I've, regretfully, only the vaguest idea of how most of this ties in together, but a discovery is a discovery; I'm glad that we're one step closer to understanding the universe surrounding us.