Ceasar's Random Rants: Headmasters sucked.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I recently aquired and watched TF Headmasters, as I heard it was one of the better Japanese TF series.
    Ok some people are going to hate me, some are going to think I'm insane, but Headmasters and all the Japanese cartoons after it prevented the Transformers from having a stronger run. As much as I dislike Season 3, The Rebirth was a good reboot, and the Team Up of Galvatron and Zarak could have spawned very good episodes in Season 4. Plus, Fortress Maximus kicked ass. On the other hand, the crap that they call Headmasters (the Japanese version) is garbage. Corny dialogue (maybe a hell of alot is lost in translation), all too obvious rivalries, the utterly ridiculous apperance of Fortress and his horrible backstory(Especially disgusting is the scene with Kup getting cuddly with him), the immediate rekilling of Prime... It's all so bad. The Blaster Soundwave fight is cool, Galvatron's demise is cool, other than that... trash. A D rate cartoon. Every Transformers series from Japan following has been trash (although it spawned some great bot designs characters and toys, Super Megatron is full of win). And the gimmicks got too out of hand. Headmasters, Target Masters, even Powermasters, ok. But breastmasters, brainmasters, godmasters, micromasters AUUUGGGH!!! Headmasters, MAsterforce, Kiss Players, Zone, Energon, Cybertron.... It seems to me they cannot make a good Transformers series. Bring it back to the west (TF Animated) and it's good again. Not that I don't like Japanese cartoons, I am a Robotech, Ronin Warriors, Baki The Grappler, Trigun loving fool. It just seems they cannot capture the spirit and essence of Transformers and build a cohesive series. I pray Hasbro never allows another eastern produced TF series. /rant off

What do you think?

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

You need to watch Victoy .... it's actually the Best out of Headmaster, Masterforce, and Victory....... plus the main thing that probably made you not like it was becuase of the Dubbing.

3. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'm going to have to disagree about Victory there -- I'd place it at the bottom. Out of the three, I would place Masterforce ahead of them and I think they got the best start of the three until it devolved into the utter pain that is watching God Ginrai fight at times. Quick! Stand still and stare at this missile coming right at you, which I fired roughly a quarter of a mile away! I'll agree with Ceasar about Headmasters and the other series being pretty trashy.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I would love to hear a professional dub of those cartoons with voices similar to the ones they had in the US series. I bet they would be alot better. Especially Headmasters.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have just seen a few eps of HEadmasters but i relaly liked it maybee it is the G1 love in my hearth and soul and the love for the head,target and powermaster toys that rocks. I have orderd the takara box and will watch all 3 shows and then I will see what I feel for it.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Onesock's Random Rant:

You spelled Caesar wrong.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there is a big problem with Victory and thats the way that i ended up symphasising with the decepticons over the autobots as they were much more interesting characters and the autobots i thought were quite bland (apart from Galaxy Shuttle, he ROCKS!) and i did like

I haven't actually finished watching Victory, i've got the official Metrodome set and just can't bring myself to watch those charismaless autobots beat up the dinoforce again. Kakuryu (Triceratops) is by far my favourite character in it.

i'm going to go back to finish watching it just because he's so cute to watch he forces you to care about what happens to him.

8. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

I love headmasters, the animations a bit better than earlier seasons, plus the continuing storylines are great compared to the rigidly episodic american eps. Also you get to see early g1 bots, season 3 bots, headmasters, combiners, Japanese only chars all interacting. So much fun, especially the early episodes.

9. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I couldn't agree more. Watching Headmasters for the first time was like watching G1, Season 1 all over again.

11. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

where is a good site to buy masterforce, victory, and headmasters online? im dying to see all of masterforce and victory, thanks

12. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I haven't seen all of Headmasters, only up to as far as TV-N have subbed, and to be honest I'm not bothered about finishing it, I thought it was a bit silly and Wheelie and Daniel are proper annoying in it.
    I'm about 3/4 through Masterforce and I like it much better, especially the characterisation of the Pretenders, better than the US Marvel characterisations. It's exprememly Japanese in it's storytelling style, but the animation is quite good.
    I haven't seen Victory yet, but I wil get hold of it after I finish Masterforce.

13. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Post includes spoilers for Headmasters. Skip over if you don't want to be spoiled.

In Headmasters, I absolutely hated Wheelie and Daniel. I was hoping Trypticon/Dinosaurer would crush them and this is coming from a guy that didn't mind either of them that much in Season 3/4.

The degradation of Arcee's role wasn't great either. Granted she wasn't the greatest of characters to begin with but at least she wasn't a secretary.

The fight between Blaster/Billy and Soundwave? Awesome.

Killing off Convoy so early in the series, I thought was a mistake but at least he had a better death than Galvatron. Circling ring of friendship power or something like that? That was just insulting. At least have Fortress Maximus cleave him in half with a sword in dramatic fashion. Poor Ultra Magnus had a pretty lame death as well but at least he got a proper funeral.

Metroplex/flex vs. Sixshot? You're kidding, right? A massive robot versus a whole lot smaller robot flying around and shooting at each other? Hey, Metro, just swat the bugger like a fly! Speaking of Sixshot, he was utterly disappointing. True, he killed Magnus but he had Daniel dead to rights! I was almost literally shouting, "shoot him! Shoot him, now!"

My all-time favorite wtf moment was just after Cybertron/Seibertron blew up and then Rodimus Prime, Springer, and Kup just suddenly decide to leave and explore the universe. Wait, what? This guy has the f***ing Matrix! Get your mechanical arse back there and lead them!

14. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    I agree with this 100%

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main thing Headmasters has going for it really is the nostalgia factor - the excitement of seeing the cast of the US cartoon in action again, and in bigger battles and with more characters present than the US toon usually managed. Like MattMoylan said, it's *fun.* The does not, however, change the fact that most of the time, it's cripplingly *stupid,* and that the person who thought it would be a brilliant idea to make Daniel and Wheelie be the stars should be shot. They've *already* got all the hate against them in the Western fandom, despite the fact that they don't actually *appear very much* in Season 3, but Headmasters just completely misunderstands and misuses the characters, de-aging Daniel until he's a pre-pubescent crybaby instead of the fourteen-year-old he's supposed to be by this stage and turning Wheelie into an arrogant snot.

But...

It's still better than Victory.

Charmless Autobots indeed. In addition to having a totally unlikeable main cast who are all completely interchangeable with each other because they have no personalities, Victory ditches Headmasters and Masterforce's story-arc approach, consisting of nothing but episodic stories with imagination-free scripts that are formed from of nothing more than "Decepticons attack place, Autobots fight them" for about half the run of the series. It's only in the second half that anything fun, clever or out-of-the-ordinary begins to happen (metal-eating space insects, Leozack posing as Star Saber), but at that point, it's really too late to care. The Breastforce and Dinoforce are really fun characters, but because they're all just walking jokes, there's never any real suggestion that there's a THREAT involved. It's got *lovely* animation, though, and a really great soundtrack, but there's zero substance.

Masterforce, on the other hand, has a really strong story, heaps of characterization and character interaction, and a story arc that runs through the show while still manging to offer up self-contained single episodes in the process. Yeah, it does falter later on when Ginrai turns into Every Japanese Autobot Leader Ever and just stands around barked about how The Blue Earth is Beautiful and Burning Heart-O-I-Must Suceed, which is a distinct change from the *interesting* character he is for the first twenty or thirty episodes, but it's *easily* the best Transformers animated series to ever come out of Japan.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I don't know how you missed perceptor2.0 posting the link just 2 posts before yours :) 

You can get the Metrodome releases which our very own Chris McFeely contributed to. Maybe Chris can recommend a good UK-based site.

Or you can get the Madman version, which is almost exactly the same except Chris' commentary tracks aren't included, and the Masterforce set has some of the dub's audio track.
    http://www.madman.com.au/transformers/

Both releases are region free, but require a TV that can display the PAL colour system. Or just watch it on your PC.

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Yeah...Kakuryu is just too cute for a villain. Hes just so...innocent! Youi know, with the way he often breaks up into chibi-ness and sings the 'nonsense' part of Victory closing credits song...and having the autobots beat him up along with his peers, it's just so wrong. (Quick, someone post a pic of Kakuryu being adorable!)

The only good thing about Victory, storywise, is that the Dinoforce actually get a happy ending.

Also, the battle between Star Saber and Deszaras inside the Space Fortress ranks right up there with Prime vs. Megatron in the '86 movie and the final episode of Armada in the awesomeness scale.

18. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm watching Headmasters for the first time now. I'm on the last disc and have only a few episodes left. I have to agree with the majority here. It's not very good. I have subtitles turned on combined with the English track so I can see the disparities. Subtitles are much better, the English acting sucks.

Wheelie and Daniel are hellishly annoying. I wish Sixshot would have turned the other way while the Rock guys threw Daniel into the molten hot lava.

I would have also liked to see the Targetmasters, Sureshot etc, in tandem with the 'other' Targetmasters - Hot Rod, Kup etc.

The one thing that stands out to me, is that every time Fortress transforms with his Master Sword, it looks exactly like Voltron combining (especially the final sideways pose where he hoists his sword).

19. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    My problem with it. Is the japanese reflected to much of sentai and super hero stuff onto the transformers starting with headmasters. And continued to push that on us throughout car robots, armada, energon, and cybertron.

But I guess that's what the japanese market thinks of transformers, ((gundam is godly and serious and transformers are wacky superhero puzzle toys.

well rather than argue with the opinions of a nation on the other side of the globe that may be dated by 5, 10 or 15 years of crucial information,I'll just say: In my opinion transformers are way better than any gundam toy I've ever owned.

getting sidetracked>>

masterforce had some great animation though. It's the best on action and nostalgia for giving some of the best late g1 toys some animation facetime .

But headmasters like the other series I mentioned is very watchable as cheesy cartoons about superhero robots go. Just have fun with it.

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I tried that, just out of curiosity, and it completely screwed with my head. I had no trouble watching it in Japanese with the subtitles, but as soon as I switched it to the English dub, I couldn't concentrate on either... :p