Cat question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chaddi_90, May 20, 2011.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I'll also agree with canned food. My cats go crazy for canned food. It really is better for them I think. I change the water everyday. If it looks old, then it probably is. A lot of times their hair and other crap gets in there and it looks nasty.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Canned food can be the devil though. Too much and it gives them nothing but the squirts, and that really makes cleaning the litter box a pain. Also, cats can easy come to prefer just canned food, and will not eat dry food if given to them.

A healthy mix of dry and wet is the best way to go.

Honestly though, I don't think canned food is any better than dry food. It all depends on the quality of the food you're buying.

3. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Here's an interesting story. Close to fifteen years ago, my family got a kitten while in Texas. We raised her on Iams Kitten chow during her kitten months and around the time she was growing into a cat, we started mixing the Iams Kitten chow with Iams cat chow to ease the transition. Anyway, around the time she was one year old, we moved back to Japan whereupon we ran into a dilema. At the time, Iams wasn't sold in Japan and for several days, our cat in fact refused to eat anything we gave her. It really worried us until one day, she finally did eat. Turns out, the cat food we gave her was the exact same shape as the Iams Kitten chow. And that's how we started feeding her Friskies Cat Food.

Of course, several years later as an adult, she was far less picky over what she would eat. :D 

4. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

My cat won't go near wet food. but she's weird and won't even eat things like tuna or chicken. What she does like: cheese(the stinkier the better), milk(only once it's reached room temperature), vanilla ice cream(scarfs it down cold), anything with mayo on it, biscuit crumbs, bacon and pretzels. Like I said...weird.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    One of my cats turns the kitchen tap on. I've had to make a lock for it when I go out or I return home to find water running wasted. It's not like I don't give them fresh water several times a day either. But then the same cat also likes water that's been standing around for a day or so as she'll prise the grate off the tub I stand water in for changing my fishtanks and drink that.
    That darn cat. :p 

As for food, mine usually just have dry food. They puke up wet food 90% of the time I give it to them. Occasionally I'll give them a small tin of tuna and hope they keep it down. One of my rescue cats had most of her teeth kicked out by her previous owner and even more had to be removed because they were broken because of how she was treated, so she's always struggled to eat. Her jaw was broken and doesn't close properly either so she's very slow with her food and I have to make sure the other cat doesn't steal her food. Strangely though, even though she's only got about three teeth left the rescue cat prefers to crunch her way through dry food than eat the softer easier wet food.

And for fleas, we usually just use Frontline Spot On. Never had a flea problem with them. But then our cats don't go out because the timid one gets scared and hides under the nearest bush for a week and the other cat likes to jump out and attack passing people.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you want cold water for your kitty, just fill the bowl with ice cubes/crushed ice and it will melt, leaving cold water.

here in the South, we do that for our dogs during the summer. should work for cats.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll throw crushed ice in for my cats. My dog loves ice cubes and will sit crunching them like sweets. You can give dogs frozen vegetables too. Mine loves frozen carrots. It's like a veggie popsicle to her.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I heard that. One of my mine recently has grown to love bread. She'll pick at her cat food, but give her some white bread and she'll scarf it down like no tomorrow.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Mine is actually weird that way, too, first one I've ever had that wouldn't eat canned...she'll eat the rehydrated raw I give her, and kibble, and fresh raw chicken or turkey, but she cannot stand canned food. I suspect this is because of having to feed herself on birds for a while when she was very young.

If a cat, tho, is throwing up canned or getting the squirts from it, that usually means the food is mostly cheap fillers and crap ingredients that the company doesn't care if they poison your cat - which is what most grocery store brands are full of. It's best to go with the stuff at the pet store, and always read the labels - this goes for dry, too, and if you can't get it locally you can order it online.

--Moony

10. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I have heard that if you give your cat egg yolks your cats fur will get really thick, has anybody heard of this?

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    You mean give them to eat, or rubbing it on their body? Because that sure sounds like it would work.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

13. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    hehe, to eat.

14. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I think it goes without saying there's a lot of bogus info on the internet. Best place to get correct info on propper health and care of cats and dogs, short of going to vet or RVT school, is your veterinarian.

15. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I'm gonna put this here because I don't think it deserves its own thread and most of the cat people will probably see it here anyway.

Data raps about Spot

16. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

^ Lol - FTW

:dj