Cat question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chaddi_90, May 20, 2011.

1. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Hello

I got a questions I would like to ask a member that owns a cat or know anything about cats. My friend is getting a cat and he was asking me to look up something about kibbles/dry fodders. How often do you have to change the kibbles and how long does it take for it to get bad?

Sorry for my bad English and sorry if these are some stupid questions:p 

2. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

What are kibbles/dry fodders? Is it food or an alternate litter? Would be glad to help, just need to zero in on what you are asking about.

3. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Assuming it's food, you don't have to replace it. Trust me, they'll eat it before you need to throw it away.

4. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    haha I'm from Sweden, we call it "torrfoder" littearly meaning dry food.
    I was refering to this[​IMG]

5. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    yeah, I posted a pic of it in my previous post. I have search it on google , here and on the manufactures webpage but can't find the answer.Are you sure it won't go bad?

6. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

I leave my cat's dry food out all day. They usually eat it all up before it goes bad. The extra food place it in a container or tie up the remainder.

One thing you can do is call the customer support phone number on the food container, they should give you their best opinion.

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Most cats will eat until they are full and then stop, and the dry food will be good much longer than it will be in the bowl as long as it doesn't get wet, so I just leave a bowl out and top it off when I see it getting low. Every few days I'll dump out all the very small crumbs that accumulate in the bottom. You're friend is going to have more fun with water probably. My cat hates drinking from a bowl and prefers to drink from a running faucet. Tub, sink she don't care as long as it's moving.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You should give them fresh food every day, but in a container it can last for weeks or months, depending on the kibble.

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

My parents have three cats and they buy the food in the large bags then pour that into ziplock bags and freeze them until the current ziplock gets empty.

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Look at the ingredients - get one that has a meat (like chicken or turkey) as the first ingredient. Do NOT get one that has corn - cats cannot digest it. Don't give them a heaping bowl full, some cats DO overeat and get fat or develop diabetes. Just give them enough for about half a day (about a cup) in the morning, and another cup in the evening.

You should also look into canned food - it's better for cats than kibble is, partly because of the moisture, and it is usually more pure meat.

--Moony

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

The only problem I have with dry food, is my cat seems to puke it up once a month. But, I can't get her to eat anything else, she loves her DeliCat, it's her one and only food of choice. Silly cat won't even try salmon!

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I usually put out my cat's food a scoop at a time..I have a measuring scoop from a kitchen set..about 1/3 cup at a time..any more she tends to waste it too much..she eats that scoop and I give her another one..I wouldn't put out bowls full at a time..it will be wasted, especially if your cat is the type to eat a few bites then take her paw and toss it out of the bowl. Also, I've noticed she will leave 1 chip of each dry kibble..guess in case she needs the food later..but usually later doesn't come. (when the bottom of her food bowl is nothing but the little chips, I just mix those with some wet food for a treat) That's what I meant by waste. Lots of cats have their own eating quirks, you just have to find out what your cat will do with the food.
    But you can leave dry food out as long as there are not flies or other bugs drawn to it. Just leave plenty of water as well, they do need more water if you are only feeding your cat dry kibbles.
    Good luck with and enjoy your cat.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  13. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the answer!:)  Haha, can't believe why they just don't write it on their webpage or on the package.

14. Moonscream

News Credits:
    In the US it's on the packaging.

--Moony

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    This might seem like a silly question, but do any of the pet owners out there like, make some sort of effort to keep their water bowls cold? I mean, I might not be a cat or anything, but I think it's safe to say that I'd hate to spend all day drinking out of the same warm bowl of water, especially when it gets into them summer months.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I make no efforts of the sort. Animals in the wild get room temperature water. Now keeping the water fresh, that's a different matter. Don't let the same water sit around for weeks, freshen it up or replace it every few days.

17. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Also consider that cats drink from the toilet as much as dogs do! Fresh water there all the time! :lol 

--Moony

18. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

My advice is to tell your friend to take his kitten to the vet, get all the vax and check ups needed, and ask the veterinarian for dietary advice.

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My inside cat loves her water ice cold..she really does. So I change her water about 3x a day, plus her water will stay cool longer as it's not placed near a window so the sun would warm it.
    Now outside kitties..well, I change their water daily..too much debris gets in there..plus I would want fresh water every day, especially in the summer months.

20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second the canned food idea. However, to save money and cut costs, you can give them a mix of canned/dry so they get the best of both worlds and don't get spoiled or stuck in their ways with one or the other.

Also, canned food provides them a source of water. You should always have a water bowl at their disposal, of course, but I found out that one of the reasons you rarely see them drink is because they're either getting it from another source, or their food provided just enough to quench their thirst.