Cat Problems, need advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Honey-Flash, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Honey-Flash

Honey-Flash Yes, I'm a girl.

I have two cats. Our older cat Moose, and our younger cat Marshall. Just yesterday when I came home from school, my dad said Moose was hiding in our basement after he and Marshall had been fighting all day. Our cats fight sometimes, but this time it was actually violent. I got Moose out of hiding, but after about a minute, Marshall attacked Moose. My mom and I eventually separated them, but Marshall kept making this weird humming sound he makes when he is angry. Moose was shut in the basement last night to keep them from fighting and Marshall slept upstairs. Tonight Marshall sleeps in the basement and Moose sleeps upstairs. Even after we let Moose upstairs, he seemed freaked out and tense.

I don't know what is going on with them. My dad said a cat that lives a few doors down walked through our backyard, we don't let our cats outside, but Moose gets very angry if any animals bigger than a rabbit come into our yard. My mom thinks Moose took his anger out on Marshall, but is unsure why the fighting continues. They have fought like that before, but it usually stops after one time.

Has anyone had any pet issues like this? I could really use some advice.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Young male cats like to fight other male cats. Doesn't matter if they live in the same household or even if they're litter mates. Best just to keep them seperated for now nothing else you can really do about it.

3. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Sounds kinda teratorial too me.Eventually they will end up duking it out untill one ends up being dominant then things will mellow out.You might get a few spats here and there but eventually they will grow on each other and it will be fine.

4. Honey-Flash

We have had Marshall for over four years and Moose for eight years, I'm sure by now they would have grown on each other by now (Moose didn't like Marshall when we first got him when he was about six weeks old, Moose growled at him and would hiss at him if he came near him, but that eventully stoped). All this fighting just recently started. Cats have crossed through our yard a few times, usually Moose never lashes out on Marshall, he usually just gets fuzzed up and whines. My dad is actually thinking about giving away one of the cats, I don't want him too.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Get rid of your cats and get a dog. ;) 

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Speaking of cat fights, two of mine just had a fight in the living room. They're animals and they get into moods where they don't like each other. Two may absolutely love each for year then be bitter enemies for an equal amount of time. More than likely, if you do have stray male cats coming into the yard/by the house, then they're probably strays and they are spraying their scent. This probably is setting off the younger of your two cats, who, in return, is fighting the older cat simply because he is there.

7. Honey-Flash

We had a dog when I was in elementary school, but he was too wild and we had to give him away. Besides I am really more of a cat person anyway, they are much easier to take care of.

Ironicly, the reason we got Marshall is so Moose would have a friend and playmate.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    My two cats fight on and off for no reason at all, and they are mother and daughter. It gets bloody sometimes. They can be fine all day, and then something as simple as a loud noise sends them into battle.

All you can really do is separate them for awhile - just cutting off their line of sight is usually enough. Feeding them something they like usually makes them forget they hate each other as well - I think it's because the fat one is usually the one who starts the fighting bullshit.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

My two, like clockwork, start chasing each other at around 3am, then agaqin at 6am, then around 5 pm, and then arond 11pm. ocationaly we here a pain cry, but they break it up when that happens. The male will never use his claws on the female while the female will. I truley belive that they are just playing.

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    why not have both?

and I second Smk's comment

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Sometimes cats can get in fights that last quite awhile. They hold grudges. I accidently kicked my mother's cat in to the wall two weeks ago (yes, accidently) and he's STILL mad at me.

The best thing you can do is keep them separate and when you decide that it's time for them to try and be around each other again, do not try and "re-introduce" them to each other. Just let them find each other on their own.

There will probably be a scuffle at first. But hey, they haven't seen each other in a few days and need to re-determine who is in charge.

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Hmmm, you didn't mention if your cats are neutered or not, which would make a huge difference. Are they?

Its possible something may have changed in the environment, or in one of the cats. Moose is old enough to start having older cat problems, which could exaggerate his already aggressive tendencies. You might want to get him checked by a vet to rule out any kind of physical or cognitive problems he may be having.

--Moony

13. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

there is really only one way to settle this. Thunderdom

That's right, 2 cats enter, 1 cat leaves.

14. Honey-Flash

Yes, we got them fixed as soon as we got them.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sounds like an ideal time for a cat roast.

16. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Nothing a Water Gun won't fixed. They fight, they get wet. Repeat. The end

17. Honey-Flash

Today they seem to be doing alot better. When we let Marshall upstairs this moring, Moose hissed at him and Marshall ran from him. We had to put Moose downstairs. I just got in from school, I asked my dad how they were; he said he opened the door to the basement just a crack so they could see each other with out letting them near each other. He said there were no problems, but we are keeping Marshall in the basement tonight. (We put Moose downstairs today, because he hissed at the other cat. I just let him up and dad put Marshall downstairs because he was acting up.)

Moose seems to be a little angry still, but Marshall seems to have forgoten about it (Marshall has a short attention span for a cat). We think that we can let them in the same room sometime tomarow.

18. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    Get rid of them as said by others. Cats are not nice creatures.

19. Honey-Flash

I'm not getting rid of my cats. Besides, thats really more up to my parents than to me. Despite what they may say, they don't want to get rid of them either.

As for the whole "cats are not nice creatures" thing, they have been separated all day and have been nothing but sweet to us ('cept for Marshall's constant whining).

20. Ian7

Ian7 LOOK AT MY SIG AND CLICK

Okay, here is what i do when cat's at my sister's fight, I pick both up and THROW THEM in diffrent directions. I'm not abusing them I throw them in soft surfaces like a bed or a couch. Both of them are so like "WTF MAN?" they forget about the fight and take a shit in the litter box together.