Cat Owners! I need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CripNite, Mar 26, 2006.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Hey all... I'm having some issues with my cat as of late. About 3 weeks ago, she came in from outside with a good set of claw wounds on her face, between her right eye and ear. While this involved her scratching off a good sized tuft of fur and getting the cone on her for a day, it seemed to heal up nicely in about 3 or 4 days. After that, the area swelled up a lot, and due to her scratching it, it burst open and was weeping a lot. At this point, I took her to the vet, who then prescribed 2 week worth of antibiotics and more cone time. After the first week, I noticed that when I took the cone off of her, she was no longer scratching the area, and thusly I left the cone off as she was being very good about leaving it alone. She was kept inside during this time, and has been using a litter box with no problem in that respect (aside from digging her cone into her poo one day, that was a sticky situation!). She's not harness trained, but I have thrown it on her a couple times and taken her outside on the leash, at least once every two days. Her diet has changed at all.

So here's where we get to the needed advice. About two days after removing the cone from her, she's started throwing up. The first time was in the afternoon and she was near me, and I managed to grab her and aim her head into her litter box, so it landed in there (I cleaned it out quickly, don't worry). The second time was in the middle of the night (she was sitting on top of the litter box, it's one of those "housed" ones) and she spewed down the side. She was fine all that day after that, until the next morning, when she threw up on 3 separate occasions in the morning. That was yesterday morning. She's been on a water-only fast since then (no food) and really only a little water, her bowl is maybe a third full. Having just got home from a graveyard shift an hour ago and finding two "puddles" on my bedroom floor and cleaning them up, and then trying to go to sleep and having her create a third puddle for me makes me kinda worried. I've stopped giving her the antibiotics, but I don't think those were causing the vomiting. If they did, they would have caused it right away, not after a week plus of taking them.

I'm also thinking that she might have worms of some type... tapeworm, I think is the one, where she has at some points, little "larvae" on her butt that look like wiggling rice. The thing is, there's none of that in her vomit. There's no blood either. There's either visible food and brown goo or water/bile. She doesn't yelp or anything when I feel around her stomach and abdomen.

Apparently there's also a condition for cats and dogs called "pika" where they just throw up because they're bored and no other reason. I haven't been ignoring her, if anything, she's getting more attention the last couple weeks. I imagine she might be stressed about because she's not allowed outside right now (there's new cats moved in behind us that I believe gave her the wound that began all of this).

So if anyone here has some kind've info that would help me out, lay it on me. I do intend to take her to the vet on monday, but if there's something I can do for her today, I'd be grateful.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oo..er, dont have any advice, but sure hope the li'l guy gets better :(  poor kitty.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

if she hasn't had any food, I honestly don't know what t osay. My cat was throwing up a lot but it turned out it was because she was eating to fast. Since you are going to the vet tomorrow, just sit out the day with her.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    In all my cat owning years I haven’t experienced anything like that, all I can think of is to get her back to the vet as soon as you can.

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I had to change to a sensative stomach formula of cat food for one of ours. We also had another cat that was in a fight and had an abscess form on her back. The antibiotics cleared it up but she had sife effects from the treatment that included a queasy stomach.

From your description she definately has worms. Get her wormed ASAP. They are in the intestines so you won't ever see them in vomit.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    1) Stop letting your cat outside
    2) Take your cat to the vet. She's most likely got an infection that has moved to her stomach and is causing her to get sick

JUST TO MAKE IT BIGGER SO YOU SEE IT, IF YOU DO NOT TAKE CARE OF HER SHE IS GOING TO DIE.

7. CripNite

Thanks Kickback. I'm kind've getting that feeling. She's been going outside for 8 years so she's more pissed off about not going out than anything. And don't worry I'm definately worried about her and will be taking care of it.

Thanks to all who responded.

I've already forwarded the story to a vet who is a friend of a friend for some early ideas before actually taking her in.

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Sorry. I've got an 18 year old cat who my family has spent probably $5,000 on in the last few years keeping her alive and well. A $200 or $300 bill for an 8 year old pet is nothing when you compare it to all the memories you have of that pet.

9. CripNite

Very true.

10. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Our cat kept throwing up all the time when we had it on medication for a bladder infection. As soon as we stopped the meds he stopped throwing up.

Probably an upset stomach.

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I had a cat once that I think was mentally retarded. She used to run into walls and piss on anything that urine could touch and cat piss is the worst smell in the universe.

12. CripNite

Well, she's not peeing anywhere other than her little box.

Taking her into the vet today if I can get an appointment. She threw up again last night after drinking some water. Barely kept it down for 2 minutes. I feel so bad for her right now. She really does mean the world to me and there's nothing I can do to fix her illness except wait to take her to the vet and hope it's something fixable.

13. CripNite

Update: took her to the vet... he gave her a water injection (she was a little dehydrated, but not too bad), a deworming shot and a shot to basically flush her system, should she have an obstruction. Also, they took some blood to check it, but he doesn't think it's an infection or anything like that.

The water injection is kinda funny though, they put it in on her right shoulder, and after walking around with it in there for awhile, it sagged down to her leg, so her leg feels like a half full water balloon.

Anyways... I gave her a little food this morning and some water, and she appears to be keeping it all down thus far (about 2 and a half hours after eating at this point in time). Her spirits are up quite a bit and she doesn't seem depressed at all.

Time will tell, but I think she's on the mend.

14. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

My advice, don't own a cat.....

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, cats throw up all the time, mine throws up every so often.

Also, sometimes with dry food, after they wolf it down, it swells up in their stomachs, which makes them throw it up. Having said that, I hope she gets better!

16. CripNite

Well, she's eaten twice today now and has yet to throw up, so it looks like all is well. Her saggy water leg is almost entirely absorbed and she is in a MUCH better mood than she was on the weekend.

The vet also phoned today and said everything in regards to her bloodwork looks ok, so it most likely was the tapeworm that was causing everything to go wrong.

Seems like my little Pandora cat is going to be a-ok.