Cat owners - how often does your cat puke ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red leader, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Strange questions I know but there are a lot of cat owners here and I would like your info.

We have a male persian long hair cat who is almost 3 and a housecat who has supervised trips into the garden and no other cat contact, he seems to vomit nearly everyday, only at night and sometimes he brings up a hairball, the poor little guy will start to swallow intermittantly if awake then puke or if he is asleep he will wake and throw up, again this only seems to happen at night time.

He is back and forth between the vet so we can find out what the problem is and taking anti hairball treatment and is back on dried food only with no treats, obviously the more it continues the more vet visits will be required which we dont have a problem with we just dont want to stress him out.

Just wondered is anyone else has a similar problem ?

when I lived at home the family cat used to yack everyday without fail and after numerous vet visits they never did find out what was wrong.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

My cat pukes a lot too, but has no other signs of poor health.

3. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How often ? every other day ? thanks for your input, appreciated!

4. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Nope. My kitties are fine. There's the occasional hairball but other than that, no vomiting. It sounds like your cat might be sick. You've been taking him/her to the vet so I'm not sure what else there could be to do. I hope everything turns out fine.

Edit: Leadfoot's cat too? I currently have three cats. None of them vomit on a regular basis.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Here's something you might want to consider, though. How often do you change the litter box? Fecal bacteria on their paws could be contributing to the problem. Also, keep their water fresh, change it daily.

6. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

We've had a number of kittehs over the years and occasionally some would throw up more often than not or just not be interested in eating much. One of our Vets suggested Pepcid AC, if I rememeber correctly. That helped to settle their tummies and cats have delicate systems. But before you self medicate make sure you check with the Vet. Has the Vet checked for any blockages or food allergies? Trinket cannot have chicken, beef, or fish due to allergies.

Also Moonscream has quite the experience with animals, I'd shoot a PM over to her as well to ask for some advice.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Once a month.

8. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Mine puke, but it's not like an everyday thing, hell maybe once a month. But it's usually just hairballs and not puking up their food or anything.

I'm sorry to hear that your kitty is having this problem, I always feel bad when I hear about other's kitties not feeling well..... yep I'm a Kitty person, love those fuzzy little buggers.

9. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not often. Only when he eats something he shouldn't, like a piece of carpet or a bug. Yeah hes not too bright..

10. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a long-haired cat and he yaks up a furrball about twice a month.
    If your cat is puking every night, it could be because he's over-eating when he eats. Do you just set a giant bowl of food in front of him? Try offering him smaller meals throughout the day.

Either way, if he doesn't seem to be sluggish and sad, he's probably fine.

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
  12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Happens occasionally, sometimes it is as simple as the food not agreeing with her. Bonnie's not too good with some treats and some kinds of food, I'm sure you've already tried giving her different food though.

Hope you're able to get to the bottom of it soon.

13. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Anywhere from twice a day to once a week. Just splurts all the food he ate back out because I suspect he eats too damn fast, he's like the gosh dang cookie monster of cats.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    RL--Somebody on the boards is a Vet, maybe they will see this thread and give you better advice than that given by just us kitty parents..but my Screamer was hurling just about every day until I started giving her 1 tsp of wet food with her tiny scoop of dry food. Plus I do feed her small meals a couple of times a day. She seems to have stopped the daily hurling, now it seems to just be the 1x month hairball or less. You probably should make sure there's no allergies or blockages. That's my :2c: 

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  15. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Lol, that's pretty funny!

My cat only pukes 3-4 times a year. But, he goes outside so he might be letting 'er loose out there.

Oh, I almost forgot. There was a time where he would puke a lot and it turned out to be worms. I didn't figure out what was up until he puked one up on my carpet. Yuk...

16. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I have 2 cats: Michi and Maura, Michi being the youngest and Maura the oldest. Michi never pukes but Michi does it whenver she goes to the yard and eat grass. :S Ad thats everyday.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My cat pukes up a lot. And it pretty much used to be everyday when he was younger. He see's another cat/animal in our garden through the window by his backroom bed and he'll work himself up and hurl.

If he's left alone too long in a place he's expecting to see people, he'll hurl. If you leave him under the bed too long he'll hurl.

Now, its not just hairballs that cause it. They only factor into a small number of hurlings, what normally causes it is the amount of food he's eaten.

I learned this from a dog owner who her her dog dried biscuits. Patch would gorge herself with dried food 'til she felt full, then go off for a nap. Over the next ten-20 minutes the dried biscuits would soak up fluid from the animals stomach and swell up to over twice their size, dog feels crap and hurlage ensues. Her solution was to soak this biscuits in a bowl so the dog would eat until it was satisfied and not suffer any extra volume.

We couldn't do this, my cat doesn't like wet food, but we used the principle. We ended up dividing meals into lunch and dinner, and feeding our cat small amounts (maybe 15 biscuits at a time, just enough to cover the bottom of his bowl in a thin layer) throughout the day, ie, Lunch might last from the morning 'til 5 o' clock. Dinner commences at 6 til we go to bed, that sort of thing. We never give him too much so he can overeat.

It stopped his copious vomiting, but feed him too much and BAM! 'HAKK HAKK HAKK... WAAAAGGHGHH!'

Oh, but there are downsides to this. You will have to be more involved than just giving two meals a day. It becomes a thing every two hours. Now our Cat is old (10 years!) and this method of feeding him has made him dependent on me being there to eat. I know he can eat regardless and sometimes he does, but he'll prefer me to be there when he eats. To the point when he'll simply ignore old biscuits until I replace them for him. Picky.

Also as he's grown older his appetite has reduced so even though I could put out more than usual, he won't eat it. Which means it becomes doubly important to the cat for you to be there for him to eat. But this is only sometimes. Sometimes if I put too much out he'll scoff the lot anyway, and then hurl. Stupid bum.

Also be prepared to deal with some feelings of guilt. Essentially I'm rationing my cat. When he's not sleeping he'll be crawling around for food, and when you feed him he'll wolf it down like he's been starved. But remember, you only do this because he's too goddamn stupid to restrain himself.

Hope this helps. Oh and check his vomit for grass. Mine eats it and hurls. Apparently its natural, but why the hell he does it only occassionly is anyones guess.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    brush your cat it will get rid of the extra hair and help keep down the hair balls down

19. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

i have 5 cats, and mostly just the occasional hairball every couple days, and if they havent eaten in a while they puke after eating but only once maybe twice and they stop until the next time they go without food for an extended period of time.

also changing their food might cause it too, has with mine a few times.

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    our cats puke every other day