Customs: Casting TFA Wildrider head?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by misternewuzer, Mar 9, 2011.

1. misternewuzer

misternewuzer Predacon Secret Police

I've never cast parts before, so I'm curious about somethin before I make any attempts and ruin anything:

When casting a part to make a mold of said part, does it ruin the original part?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I don't think it would, but i can't say I've ever cast anything, only listened to others.

However, f you do cast the TFA Wildrider head, be warned: FR got a C&D letter when he cast and sold Botcon Jazz's head, there's no guarantee the same won't happen to you.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I also got a C&D from FunPub just for saying I might cast '07 Thrust's wings. If you're going to do it just for yourself, then it would probably be ok. I'm planning to cast MotorMaster's head to put on my Wreck-Gar.

No, you won't ruin your original part as long as you keep the mold halves from sticking to each other. I didn't put enough release agent on the first half, so I just had a rubber block with my part inside. I used an exacto knife to cut it out and nicked the original part a couple of times.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No but if this will be your first time expect to spend a lot of money for a tiny piece of plastic.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd suggest casting some random stuff right now for trial runs. If you're wanting to do this for yourself, I don't see the huge desire to just wait for this figure to come out first. On the contrary, if I wanted to do this and never casted before, I'd much rather be able to do this project more systematically than not.

6. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

For small casts, look at Mold Builder latex. It's smelly and it takes a bit of time due to the fact that you need lots of thin layers, but it'll allow you to make multiple copies.
    And if people send you PMs about how you did a casting, well, no one can stop you from offering to do one for them, ya know, as a favour from one person to another...

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FunPub is always more than happy to slap C&D letters on people.

No one can stop you from copying something for yourself.
    But when you get into making money from thier designs, that's when they get upset.