Casting / Molding advice?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by StBrianofMinneapolis, Jul 17, 2012.

1. StBrianofMinneapolis

StBrianofMinneapolis Well-Known Member

I am looking to get into molding and casting parts for customs. An initial project I want to do is copy my Botcon Scrapiron head to make a couple variant clones for my Junkion army.

I am curious if the creation of a mold will alter my original Scrapiron head in any way. I am aware that I should apply vaseline to help the mold release from the original. Will there be any problem in taking these steps?

Also any general advice would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

There's no guarantee that molding wont affect paint, but I've never heard of anything screwing something up majorly. Just know there is a risk.

And i'm always confused about the use of vaseline. yeah, it'll act as a mold release, but as far as i know, most Silicone molding material doesn't need any release. Silicone doen't really stick to anything other than itself. The only time i've ever had silcone "stick" was really becasue there were small pinholes in the original, and silicone will get into every nook and cranny. So it still came off, it just grabbed the surface a bit more becase of a small edge.

3. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

If you succeed, I will totally buy a cast off you. I've been looking for a long time but it seems no one else is even inclined to try. Pm me if you ever do.

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Purchase a proper release agent. Don't use vaseline.

Also there are THREE casting threads in the tutorial section, 2 of which contain more than enough information to cast just about anything.

5. MAIDEN JAPAN

MAIDEN JAPAN Banned

News Credits:
    Example
    [​IMG]

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    this is more of a general creative discussion thread and yes there are tutorials but they don't address your specific question

mold release is so that the 2 halves dont stick to each other on two part molds, not for the part you are making a mold of.

vaseline is a great cheap substite if you are mass producing a prototype, but it has a tendancy to yellow parts well stain yellow really. more noticalbe on white than others but its there, so i would spend the money and get the release agent to match the brand of silicone you purchased.

also something that is not entirely explained but pictured. for 2 part molds make some shallow demples in the clay before you pour your silicone onto the part. be sure and coat them well on the next round for the second part of the mold.

the purpose of this, it acts as a guide so everytime you put the 2 halves together your part will be lined up correctly and not shifted kinda common on cylindrical shapes where the mold line is on the part leaves a lot of prep work before painting.

i am by no means an authority on the matter but i have experience and i hope the above helps you

7. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i been looking for months to get a head cast of Scrapiron pm me...ill buy a few too

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Group discussion threads discussing a topic like this go in Creative General Discussion, so here we are!

9. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

also look into makerbot. It is 3d printer size of desktop. You can design 3d and it will print it out. Than do not have to worry about damaging your figures.

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

^ Makerbot doesn't have the resolutiuon to print out a head that scale. it's still damn cool and I wish i owned one...