Customs: Casting Materials

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by tomhom, Oct 13, 2009.

1. tomhom

tomhom Better dead then Smeg!

I'm a bit of a noob but I'm going to attempt scratch building something and was thinking of casting a mold so i could reproduce it to make some extra ones for a friend.
    What should i use as materials for the reproductions, i dont fancy casting it in resin as its to heavy and brittle, I would prefer to use plastics If that is possible.
    Any ideas?

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    There are a few companies,like Smooth-On that sell castable plastics,in my opinion that's who I would go with,but it is entirely up to you.

3. tomhom

tomhom Better dead then Smeg!

I had stumbled upon Smooth-on while digging around and I'm just wondering how easy is it to use compared to resin and if its more expensive.
    If I'm going to cast a whole toy thats going to be played with (not by kids mind:sly2: ) I dont fancy using resin.

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    There are alot of tutorials on resin casting out there mate,they all range from beginners to the advanced,it's just about taking you time and learning everything you can about molding and casting.

Start small,mold a gun and then cast that,when you feel comfortable with those casts then move onto something like a head,once you learn that then start reading up on how to do the more complex multi part molds and then the skys the limit!