Customs: Casting: How Hard Would It Be?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TENIME_art, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    To specifically cast an Alternator car parts in a different colored plastic?

My biggest irk is that no matter how good a paintjob looks, you're always making a piece thicker than it should be, and with Transformers, that can (and has in the past) pose quite a few problems. One of the main reasons I haven't done much repainting is joint rubbing, and sometimes shaving & sanding still doesn't do as good of a job as my anal retentive @$$ likes.

So, here's my thing: I want to turn Skids into Ironhide and Ratchet. Now, I've got one Skids, and the guy who made the Classics Cliffjumper head sells Alt. IH & Ratch heads. If I bought another Skids, how difficult would it be to take them both apart, and just cast the car parts (keeping the robot parts factory) in red & white?

To those who've painted these customs - how hard was it to take them apart?

To those who've casted before - how hard is it to do, and how worth it were the results? Is this something a novice could do, or does it take alot of practice, and worse, money? Would it be cheaper & easier to dismantle the bots myself, and commission someone else to cast the red & white plastic?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It would take less effort to get a 1:24 model scion in those colors and reshell it I think.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That would be an awesome idea....but I think it would be expensive, anless you were already set up to cast, then cost would probably be minimal.

The reshell idea sounds good too....but the Xb is already a small sized vehicle...even if you did find a 1:24 scaled kit, it may pose probs during the reshell process.

As far as taking him apart, it isnt that hard, the windshield assembly is the trickiest of it, if I remember correctly....NP just took one apart for a custom...his memory should still be fresh....:D 

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

It's a pain in the ass. I did Alt heads once and that was consuming, I couldn't imagine parts.

But the Scions are relatively easy to paint. There are very few tight plces on it. Mostly the roof.

5. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Casting isn't something that you can just pick up. Finding the right resin etc and figuring out how to best make the molds to have no air bubbles is tough. At least from what I've seen.

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed.

7. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    id like to learn how to cast also, i wanted to recast the MP starscream to make a ghost version. after reading, it seems to hard to do...

8. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

There are alot of tutorials on the web including video. If you are going to do it yourself, you will need a preasure pot, Silicon rubber for the molds, and plastic resin to pour into. There are alot of brands of silicon out there (and I mean the molding type, not the stuff you get at a hardware store) as well as mix ratios, so a scale will also be needed. We use Smooth-on resin products for our casting over at GTG and we have been very happy with it. Best advice I can give you is to do your homework. Use the hell out of the search engines like Yahoo and Google. The more you know, the better you can make the right decission for yourself.

Now if you want to commission some one to do the work, you have to figure cost of silicon, plastic, labor and provide the parts to be molded. Plus you need to decide if you want the molds when done or leave them with that person. Remember, airbubbles are the enemy in casting. They destroy detail and set you back on your budget. If you want to persue this path, contact Dave by pm at GTG (www.goodtogocustoms.com), you will need to register at the forume there, and he can give you a quote for you.

I hope you find success on this project.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    casting is such a pain, its gonna cost you a buncha cash just to get use to it so far only thing that has turned out well has been my repro clear browing guns and that took several attemptys to get right.

10. valkfan

valkfan Autobot Special Ops

As others have mentioned, it's really complicated, messy and toxic, especially if you're going to make factory quality plastic parts. Not to mention the fact that my custom heads would still need to be painted to match. This is the reason I made them for the vehicles I did.

I know some don't think the truck body fits Ironhide but Michael Bay and I seem to be on the same page on this one.

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Thanks, guys. JMB, I'll look into it. GTG has some amazing stuff!!

Uhh...kind of why I asked...