Customs: Casting experimental alts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just finished watching mythbusters and they were doing tests (mainly impact tests) of spray on bedliner. It made me wonder if anyone's tried using the material for casting. If I were back in the states I'd try. Watching a youtube vid it seems to be about 25 to 30 dollars for a gallon. It seems to be a lot more durable then other urethane resins I've used and might make for more solid repro castings.

The other alt is some form of abs resin found in auto stores on the cheap. These are used for fiberglass and dash repairs. I'm not sure how solid it is because it is a two part resin that uses a liquid solvent instead of heat to create the liquid form.

Anyway, just a couple ideas. I'm really curious about the spray on bedliner though.

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ive messed with the auto store fiberglass resin kits ( i also work on cars and have made some custom parts)

it's kinda thick once its actually mixed, so depending on what you're casting it may cause a lot of air bubbles not sure though would have to try it, i have only used to brush over fiberglass mat .

bedliner stuff i have no idea though

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

That brings up another idea..why not use those kits for customs where glue is normailly used. Such as extending body parts like arms or the infamous mp soundwave waste? One of the downfalls of moving to Sweden is I have a severe lack to this to try it out.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    you could use it for a glue, but it would need to be a thick piece as it might warp thinner materials as it cures.

other issues are it doesnt leave a very smooth finish, its ment for building the initial shape, a much more user freindly material is used for the finishing of it, and lots of sanding (if you are trying to smooth something out), for just bonding 2 pieces together it might be ok)

cure time is an issue here some glues will react a lot quicker (depending on the amount of hardener) so i would say a 2 part epoxy would be better for a glue and its mixing is a lot more user friendly as fiberglass resin is not a 1:1 mix ratio

that being said fibergalss is used in the mold making process in the automotive aftermarket quite often when it comes to bumpers, ground effects and hoods, but these are large items that are generally smooth and not much detail (if any) and it has a gelcoat finish over it, the backside of one of these molded peices is usually not as pretty

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I can't see that bedliner stuff as being castable. A general rule is that if it's a one part system, then it will not cure in a mold. it's the same reason it won't cure in the container it comes in. If it's a two part, or needs a catlayst, it could work. but i'd test it out in a old mold you don't need anymore. There's alot of things that factor into that as well. Sometimes the core of the casting will work, but it wont' cure on the surface.

As for fiberglass resin kits, yeah that could work as a glue, but it's pretty brittle when cured. The resin needs the cloth (and vice versa) for strength. i'd only recomend that on big customs, since it adds alot of weight, and the fumes are toxic. Polyester resin is ....well, how do I put this. the fumes grab me by the back of the inside of my throat and pull me around the room. :lol  Stuff is horrible. If using any of this more industrial materials (like the automotive stuff) use a good respirator (not the flimsy paper kind) in a well ventilated area.
    Wish I could give you a better answer.

Randy!

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I sure thought this thread was about Alternators....

:( 

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

:lol  so did I when I checked it out. I thought it was going to be about making a mold and casting off of some of those concept cars they only make in diecast. I've had some experience with that, but it was a jeep.

R!