casting exclusive heads. moral?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyber-Kun, May 7, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    So, there's a few threads in the Radicons section involving casting, and sometimes the issue comes up of casted heads from botcon toys or something else, and everyone else has different opinions on it.
    Personally, I've talked to a member about acquiring a casted head of Dreadwind, and personally, I see no problem with this. Why? Well, the head isn't original for one. The first one was still bought the old fashioned way, and Funpub didn't lose any money on that. Also, the body I plan to use (either Treadbolt or Jetfire) also isn't on of theirs, its Hasbro's and was bought fair and square. It's not casted in the same colours, so I have to paint it, and I don't even plan to paint it the same way as Botcon's version. I see no difference in this then casting a head from a toy 20 years ago that you can't get anymore. Now of course, if casting and making replica botcon toys and them being sold as being botcon toys, then I think that's wrong, but for a fan like myself who wants to go another route of making his own Dreadwing for his own personal use? I don't see anything wrong with that, and I doubt Hasbro or FunPub would care either, as this doesn't lower the value of the Botcon toys at all.
    There's also another thread that was started to cast more Cliffjumper sets from FansProject for people that missed it out the first time, and hell, Fansproject doesn't even care

"So the 4th party KOs of your CJ kits don't bother you?

FP - Again, we don't look at the whole thing like a business, it hasn't hurt our feelings. Even Hasbro has knock offs you know."
    ~Interview with Fansproject from seibertron.com

So, what do you guys think?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as you arn't selling, it I see no problem with it. People custom their toys all the time. Look at all the Starscreams turned into Thundercrackers.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

For exclusive heads? I think that if there is absolutely no chance, so low that the odds of a snowball in hell look good, that the head will ever be officaly sold again, then yes, it's fine by me. Imagine the excelent Classic Jazzes that would come of remolding of that Botcon head, as I personaly actually like evil Jazz.

4. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. As long as you don't try to fleece anyone with it, you're fine. Do what you want with your own toys.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, i am looking into getting two dreadwind heads one for buster and one for dreadwind, and if i can get those, i will be buying two of the tru exclisive darkwings as well, so, two molded heads traded for hasbro merch that i will have to buy in the store equals 5 more hasbro products purchased from retail, in the end the winners are hasbro and my shelves

6. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I see no moral issue with casting as many heads as you want. I would go so far as to say that even if you sell them that it is not morally wrong because the creators have no intention of selling them again. The only caveat being that you should always clearly state that the cast is a copy and you should always give attribution to the original creator.

Morals aside, it is probably illegal and risky in large quantities.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was given a cease and desist order from FunPub when I talked about casting Thrust's wings from the '07 set. I was planning to sell them though...

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the dreadwind head i am pretty sure is trade only, so hopefully that doesn't make it illegal

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Plus the set is sold out already. When I was making plans to do that, they were still selling the set. Maybe they thought people would skip the set to buy from me instead? Doubtful as they'd still have to kitbash the figures. Not many people do that. But if that was it, they'd probably not care now. They sold them all and made their money.

10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

dun

I do not think it is illegal, Hasbro does nto stop the mass production of other bootleg figures, so why would they care about the Botcon exclusives more then the others?

They have made there money already.

11. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    what are you talking about? Ok granted Hasbro doesnt seem to stop KO manufacturers but supposedly they sent cease and desist letters to the uber KO people. Mainly hasbro can control distribution in the states. But anything goes in china.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I had Botcon jazz heads for sale, and I don't anymore ;) 
    Didn't go as far as a C&D letter, but was asked "nicely"

I plan to mold/build my own G1 Jazz head, which will be superior to FunPub's ;) 

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Aren't FunPub also big on protecting the value of their toys? I seem to recall them saying they'd sit on the unsold 2005 sets rather than drop the price to something people might actually pay.

14. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok but the problem is we are talking apples and oranges. retaining the value of the 2005 set is because there is an inherent cost to the sets. and they want to make their money back.

But the popular 07 boxset is all sold out. I really dont see the problem with making recasts. Its not like we are re-producing the figure entirely.

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Personal use? Fine. Anything else? Lamesauce indeed.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Did ANYone read f_r's post? I think that is the official answer to the OP's question.

17. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

do it but keep it on the down-low, lol

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm only going off what I remember (and most of that is from Shortpacked!), but they said they were also protecting customers' investments (unless I'm remembering this totally wrong). If you've paid $275 for that set, and FunPub subsequently sell off their excess stock for $150, you're going to find it difficult to get back anything like what you paid when people can pay less and get a minty fresh set. So FP could have a problem with this, because it means someone is spending a few quid on getting someone to copy the Dreadwind head and then buying a Classics Jetfire rather than spending insane money on Botcon Dreadwind. But meh.

Given that you're not talking about mass production, I think you're more likely to have problems as a result of this thread than if you'd just got whoever it was to copy the head and send it to you. Then again, it's not like FP have a team of ninjas who will track you down and kill you for using their mold. Is it?
    :confused2 

19. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

I'd be interested in buying/trading for a set of Thrust's wings. I actually own the Botcon '07 set, I just dont have the where-with-all to cast my own stuff, and I have a few custom characters I've been wanting to try.

So yeah, uh, lemme know I guess. Thanks!

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Oh, this has nothing to do with me getting a head, that's already done. I'm just curious on people's opinions on the subject.