Customs: cast parts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    this is not your normal question about casting its from a customer standpoint

if you buy a cast part, how much work would you expect to have to do to get it to look right?

i ask cause im new to this area of tf's i have never bought something like this and i dont know what i should expect.

but i got something that is well in my honest opinion very sloppy looking and i am having to to quite a bit of work to get them to look right before i paint them (more than your standard clean and paint. and to be honest i am starting to regret what i purchased

but if this is the norm of cast parts i hold my self accountable due to my inexperience

but i wanted another opinion

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I sell anything cast I ask if they want it raw with the flash and stuff or if they need it trimmed. I would ask if it's trimmed.

As far as quality, I don't do pressure casting yet and so I had to run several castings before I could get anything bubble free. I would go with a pressure caster (I plan to get a pot soon ).

What was the cast part and do you have any pictures?

3. Megatron31

Ebay:
    it was a member on here but if i say what it is, it is going to to pretty much giveaway who and i dont feel that is the proper way to bring it up since i havent said anything to them yet, but i expected more to be honest

but i was not asked about flash and it took over a month to get the parts and after all was said and done he forgot who i was and i had to give him my paypal info again and tell him how much i sent how many i ordered and give him my address again (i only paid once)

it is this very reason i got into doing customs my self as i have had 2 run ins like this with customizers selling things and both have left me frustrated and dissatisfied

minus my shapeways stuff

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm always open for communication myself. It's always hard to tell without feedback for someone. It should never be a gamble but sadly anything commission wise be it art, casting, labor is always risky.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Megs, if you've had a problem with something you've gotten from a member here, I'd highly recommend talking to that member particularly about it. Also, the Commissioners Listing and Feedback forum is for this sort of thing as well. Just be honest. :) 

6. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i get that but i dont know if i need to go that route

my prupose for this thread isnt feedback its to understand if maybe i was expecting too much. if that makes sense? im trying to establish the norm of cast parts. what should i expect, and better yet would should my expectations be

i dont want to slam anyone and that was not at all my point which is why i have been so vauge about who and what

7. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i've had nothing but good experience with buying cast parts. i'm also very easy to please. THere's been a few I needed to fill in air bubbles, and slight sanding, but i was more than happy to do so, because it was to be expected at the least.

so i guess, never expect something perfect, always buy the part/s, thinking you will need to refine and prep them.

8. Megatron31

Ebay:
    thank you thyvipera that is they kind of answer i was looking for.

maybe i didnt work my initial question the right way.

but that is the kind of response i was wanting

minor clean up was expected but this is quite extinsive

and its been more trimming than removing flash there is just lots of inconsistencies with shapes and other areas

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Of the casted parts I've purchased or traded for (I usually build them myself), I've only had one that needed some very light sanding. It was still a great sculpt and cast, so touching it up wasn't a problem. I basically do what Dan (thyvipera) does.....I'll weigh the need for the part or head, take into account the amount of work & time it took to create, and take into account the issues that may arise and if I'm capable of fixing them. Then I'll contact or make the purchase/trade. I basically prepare myself to get a part that may need some light fixes. If it were a major issue or something really bad, I would definitely talk to the seller and either ask for a refund or maybe they can handle the issue and help you (which would say a LOT about the seller and their work--it's great when they are willing to help and fix any issues).

If you feel you got a bad part or had to do too much work yourself, maybe you can hit the seller up and discuss the issues with them. Even if you're happy with your part now, it might be good to let the seller know (via the feedback thread Allen mentioned), that way it can be fixed before any future pieces are sold to others that may have issues like you did with it.

Hope it's good now and you fixed the issue(s) with it. Just think like I do, in the end, it will be worth it to have the custom or toy with the part to complete it.

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

To throw in my two cents, it's also about what level of quality you are looking for. i am very hard on myself about details, and probably apologize too much when there is something like a easy air bubble to fix when selling castings.
    I found that there was a lot of people who enjoy working out those last details. others think it should be like a injection molded part (which, unless you're really good, is hard to pull off). it's all about what you are looking for and where the imperfections are. sometimes you can let small air bubbles slide if it's a easy place to fix(and sand later) but if the bubble messes up detail (like in a face) or is warped, that gets into the "unacceptable" range.
    When I have bought a couple things I usually wait until i see what the castings look like. When I bought uuser's arcee head, was it perfect? no, but thats okay for me (and I'm NOT complaining or putting down his work at all). I like to clean it up a little more and everything is fine.

For the future, I'd suggest asking to see some previous casting work, and mention you'd like the same or better results. that gives you and the seller something to gauge off of.
    Good luck.

Randy!

11. Megatron31

Ebay:
    thanks dude and are you still interested in casting some of the hook parts i have made?

12. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

yeah, our shop has slowed down some. And my buddy only has a few larger pieces that he's doing now. I'd say shoot me some pics at my gmail addy so we can figure out what you need, and I can give you a decent quote.

Randy!

13. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Cool I wick give you a shout with some pics of what I am after