Customs: Cast/Mold ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Auceps Prime, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    I've been wanting to start casting some of my own parts/heads and guns.
    But I'm not sure what kinds of Resin and other things I need to buy. Also how to go about doing what needs tobe done to get the job done right. I've read the tutorials on our board but still I'm not sure what are the best products availble to this. Can someone help?

2. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Ok, seriously, are we long lost brothers or do we have a mental link or something? Not even 20 minutes before you posted this, me and a friend were discussing the possibility of us casting our own parts! That's like the 3rd time we've had almost the same idea at almost the same time! If you didn't live on the opposite side of the country, I'd suggest a team-up.

3. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    well it sounds like you are going to be a begginer to this. So I would suggest you try a kit made by a company called "smooth-on". They are in a yellow white and blue box. (They are $28.00 a kit at my hobby shop, but worth what I make in the long run.) They have 2 kits. One for the mold, and another for casting. Both have a two part mix process. Mix even amounts of each chemical in a mixing cup and simply pour. So it is very simple and has great results. The only thing you would have to do is research through google "making a mold" and "mold casting". This way you can also reduce if not eliminate air bubbles. And make perfect copies.

There are many great articles that will take you step by step. Here is one I use:
    http://www.mechaskunk.com/images/suku/16-01.jpg
    http://www.mechaskunk.com/images/suku/16-02.jpg
    http://www.mechaskunk.com/images/suku/16-03.jpg
    http://www.mechaskunk.com/images/suku/16-04.jpg

Just copy and paste the links. These directions are pretty straight forward. This is also what I used my first few times mold/casting.

Hope this is of some help. If you need more help just drop me a pm.

MAC

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I agree to an extent Mac...
    I bought the Alumilite kit, which is great, but am already out of the silicone rubber mold and catalyst (I went a little crazy with heads)

I saw a tutorial posted here which lead me to Smooth-On's products. I ordered directly from them silicone rubber (the 2 part yellow/blue quarts) and think its' MUCH better quality, easier to control/mix/clean up....dries faster too. If they have a kit, I'd shoot for that also.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I order my stuff from this guy:

Welcome! - The Engineer Guy

Has a wide range of products. The last silicone I used with Mold Max 30. Worked great, but you have to de-gas it. There are products that allow you to do this, I'm a science teacher and just happend to have a vacuum pump and chamber to do that. It looks pretty cool when you do it too.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I got the smooth on rubber which mixes 1:1, it's semi-translucent....do they make different types? The stuff I used from alumilite was opaque and beige, I liked the color better, easier to tell when fully cured.

I'm about to cast my first parts using the new rubber, I'll post how I think they compare to the other stuff I had.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Smooth-On makes tons of stuff.... silicone, urethane rubber and plastic, etc...

Clear, colored, differnet softness, etc...

Apparently the crystal clear stuff will mess you up something awful, there are warnings all over the place before you order it. I think you have to have a pressureized pot too, it keeps bubbles from forming.

8. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I echo the recommendation of smooth-on. It is simply the best out there and there are endless options. They have lots of good video tutorials on there site mirrored of youtube as well that are always worth a watch.

9. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    Brothers I'm not sure about that, not unless my mom is hiding something from me or just doesn't want my dad to find out. But seriously if you want to team up in some way or another don't let us being on the opposite ends of the U.S. stop from keeping in touch more often. Just It would be nice to team up with someone every once in a while just whish I had some friends around here I could team up with more often.

Also thanks guys for your help i'll check that stuff called "smooth-on" next time I'm at the hobby store. :thumbs2: