Casshern

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else watched this movie? It caught my attention a couple of months back, and then it slipped from my radar until I saw it at my local blockbuster and gave it a rental. I mainly rented it because I loved the visual style (Metropolis-The Anime, City of Lost Children, and Sin City), but I ended up loving the hell out of it. It's actually a pretty damn good story, with some very nice visual effects and art direction, and the fight scenes are awesome, straight out of the Matrix, with some battles against robots that resemble the Fight Mace Windu had against the robots in the Clone Wars animated series. I definitely recommend a rental of this for most of you guys who seem to appreciate this stuff. The entire movie is in Japanese, with subtitles (no dubs), but most of you prefer it this way :D  Lot of cool robot action, but that's not everything there is to the movie, it has a lot more going for it

http://casshern.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Casshern-Dire...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1207140348&sr=1-1

2. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I saw it several years ago through a bootleg. I'd like to watch it again and see if it makes any sense this time with a pro translation. The effects and action was definitely enjoyable though.

3. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

i bought it on dvd well over a year ago and always forget to watch it. i shall definatly watch it soon

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to say that it does make more sense, despite me not having watched it years ago. The story flows very well and you always understand what's going on. There was one part towards the beginning that confused me, but it made sense after a while.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember seeing a preview for it way back in 2004 (methinks -could've been 2005).

It was only the action sequences and I was major stoked.

I saw it was at Blockbuster and rented it a couple of months ago.
    I want to say I loved it, but I didn't.
    I didn't dislike it, but I couldn't see me buying it.

Some of the scenes were so heavy handed that it was just a chore to watch.
    There is more drama in one scene of someone answering the phone in Casshern than in an entire season of Grey's Anatomy.

Also, by the middle of the movie I had quite gotten the message that "war is bad". I also wish they had explained more of the "lightning bolt" before the very end sequence. It just seemed tacked on.

Reading my own prose, it seems like I didn't like the movie.
    I did, and I would reccomend any geek watch it.
    After all, it has kung fu X robots and that is always a good thing.

However, one movie I can not reccomend at all that I recently watched is Dragon Wars or D Wars or whatever.

After finally watching that thing I have just one thing to say.
    "What?"

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not even for the cheese factor? I wanted to rent it with my girlfriend, have a few drinks, and watch D Wars. Is it bad even if you are making fun of it?

7. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

For me this movie is a love hate sort of thing. There were parts of it, especially certain action portions of the film that were beautiful. Like when Casshern and the Robot Army (Zombie) Leader dude first meet up to fight. That was awesome. The tank, robots, running up walls, swords, it was all cool. The Visuals were stunning. Bascially reminded me of a live action anime movie.

I wouldn't compare the fighting though with the matrix. Matrix was 10 times better than this film. The fighting in this movie was meh at best. I don't think any of the actors actually knew any martial arts as alot of the scenes zoomed in on the fighting and went blurry. In fact the best fight of the movie was cut from the film. The show the fight start and then skip to the end. That sucked. This filming style reminded me of the new Transformers Movie or the Bourne Trilogy. If you liked that sort of fighting filming then you like this movies fighting sequences.

For the most part the story was kinda weird and out there. Like the lighting thing that starts the whole regeneration thing. I know it was sent by some god or something, but they lost me with that bit. The acting was ok, but over the top at times. Similar to alot of anime I guess. So it sort of fits.

I give it a 6 out of 10 and do recommend anime lovers watch it.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah -watch it for the cheese factor.
    That was my problem; I wanted to take it seriously.
    At least semiseriously -like the Millenium Godzilla movies.

The movie is about these dragons that need a sacrifice so they can become ...um ...dragons.
    What the hell did I expect? :) 

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes it's all about popcorn and not thinking too much. hehe

10. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

We were watching it at a Sharper Image a few weeks back, and it was towards the end I think , where the two dudes were fighting. One of them punched the other in the ass, it was wacky as hell.

11. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Either the subtitles on my copy were broken, or the translation was REALLY bad.

Either way, I do love this movie, if even just for the fights. But it leaves you wondering what the hell happened... half of the movie is unexplained, and it jumps all over the place.