Cassette Reissue Variations

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wannabeGeorge, Aug 19, 2009.

1. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

I got Encore 15 & 17 in the mail yesterday and noted there are some significant differences between the current round of cassette reissues and previous ones.

RATBAT - the SDCC version of Ratbat has stickers while the Encore version has the pattern printed on. I assumed that these almost simultaneous releases of Ratbat would be identical. I'd be curious to know if, under the stickers, the pattern is on the SDCC version also. I might just have to peel a corner up. Also, the ears on my SDCC Ratbat don't stay in position as well, and they look slightly different (although that could be the difference in plastic).

STEELJAW - the TFC:21 reissue is FAR superior. The new one has the printed label instead of stickers and the yellow parts are inconsistent in color. The toes and legs are a washed-out light yellow while the rest of him is the correct darker yellow. Also, the metal parts of his legs are a much more polished silver, as opposed to the dark, oxidized appearance of the TFC:21 Steeljaw and the original (similar to Ravage).

RAVAGE - now does not have the Soundblaster diagram. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Ravage was released in '87 with this diagram? I have yet to find evidence of this.

EJECT/REWIND - have Autobot symbols printed on their chests to match the G1 artwork. I guess I approve.

RAMHORN - the tan on his label has been replaced with white. I really wonder why. Maybe Takara/Tomy thought the tan looked dirty/old.

Also, the text on all the cassettes has been reconstructed and looks slightly different. They probably didn't want to go to the trouble of reconstructing the complex shapes of text, so they just approximated it with replacement fonts. Other than that, Takara/Tomy have changed out some of the original production information (JAPAN/MADE IN CHINA, etc.), and the plastic colors are not quite the same.

BUT, I want to stress that they are seriously cool. Steeljaw is the only reissue I'm really not satisfied with. The different shades of yellow are just too obvious/distracting. I might post pictures later, if people are interested.

2. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    See, I felt the opposite about Steeljaw. I have both as well, and I liked the more polished look of his diecast legs and the tampo'd, more vibrant patterns on his one side. The only thing that did irk me, was, as you pointed out, the feet that don't match the rest of the body color. I'm currently having trouble figuring out which one I want to get rid of based on this one point of contention alone...

3. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

Upon closer inspection, I could accept either the shiny shin Steeljaw or the oxidized. He is shown as oxidized in Transformers: Generations (which I accept as the final word on G1 Transformers toys, even if it's not always 100% accurate) BUT I see that a lot of vintage Steeljaw's on ebay have shiny shins.

As far as the SDCC Ratbat goes, he does not have tampo decals under his stickers. Still sorta surprised by that guy.