Case assortments addressed at Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Apr 28, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    "Don't blame HASBRO... blame the retailers!!! They tell HASBRO what to pack!!!

Except hasbro says:
    So there's another piece of the puzzle. It's all on what HASBRO THINKS will sell, not what retailers order. But many of us who even know anything about ordering already realize that.

When WAL MART or TARGET order, they just order TRANSFORMERS based on their shelf mod. They get from HASBRO what they get- even if a case has 3 Bumblebees. And WM gets the same cases that TARGET and BBTS and your local comic book store dude get.

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who the hell was blaming the retailers? That was frankly stupid of them.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Oh you'll see tons of people drag retailers through the mud in any long thread about case assortments. It's absurd.

4. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    its based on what they think will sell based on feedback from retailers and other factors

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    So some people actually thought retailers were to blame?

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'd assumed it was retailers, since they're the ones with the most power in the equation. Hasbro can design and make these figures all day long, but unless retailers purchase them, then Hasbro is just spinning its wheels. As we've seen with Prime First Edition, late-run DOTM, and late-run Animated.

Seems like Prime is just fated to be a frustrating and unintentionally expensive line to collect; for some folks anyway.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    If everyone is getting the same stuff, why even blame the retailers in the first place? I always thought that it was pretty obvious that it wasn't them.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    When products get cancelled...it IS a retailer issue. Hasbro can't release stuff if nobody will buy it.
    Retailers basically didn't want First Edition toys...so they weren't release in most US markets.

Bingo, and it's NOT an exact science, especially when case assortments are being put together 6 months or more ahead of when this stuff reaches retail shelves, much less sells.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But what they THINK they'll sell is based on retailer feedback. Talking to retailers is the only way Hasbro can ever find out what sold in the first place.

10. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

More like they called one of two stores then decide eh BB sells.

11. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I understand in that case, but I was referring to case assortments.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Except that I don't believe that any infrastructure exists for feedback. Once the case hits the distribution centers for each retailer its already sold. That's what Hasbro sees. The sale is done... No feedback required or even possible.

If I was to guess I would bet that Hasbro bases decisions like this on info from census... Like income for the area... Education.... Racial mixes.. etc. Then they probably average it all out so that BBC sells out in one region but clogs up another.

13. Phantom6

Phantom6 Well-Known Member

exactly. Retailers don't say "Oh we need more Optimus Primes." THey send in an order for Transformers assortment B(Example).

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There has to be. Otherwise, what do they base their decision of what they believe retailers will buy from them on?

You agree on one thing: the retailers have to buy them. They can say no if it's something they just completely don't want. So Hasbro has to try to come up with something the retailers want to buy from them.

15. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

lets face it BumbleBee played a big part in the movies so they made a lot of bees they even did costumes and accesories for kids of BumbleBee, and its transfered over to the new lines like Prime.

16. Phantom6

Phantom6 Well-Known Member

Sadly Bumblebee is to Transformers (Now) as Pikachu is to Pokemon.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    That's the point. Why would they buy more cases later in the line when their pegs are still full of Bumblebees or Mudflaps? It ultimately comes down to Hasbro's case assortments. Blaming retailers is nonsensical.

18. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

So Hasbro is the reason why FOC Shockwave is short packed and I have to pay BBTS almost $70 to get an entire wave when all I want is one figure.

I could just wait... but waiting is for wussies.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm not blaming retailers. But clearly, Hasbro has the idea that Bumblebees sell. And where, other than the retailers, would they get that idea? If Hasbro didn't have the idea that Bumblebees sold, they'd have to be afraid of retailers rejecting these ridiculous case assortments the way they rejected the FE Voyagers.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone made the claim that retailers specifically choose what goes into each wave, it's more the fact that they usually over-order on waves 1 and 2, so good luck finding wave 4. And they usually don't order the final wave of a given line at all cos they have to make room for the next line, so some toys (like Universe Ratchet) become rarer than they could've been