Cartoonnetwork dropping anime?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Midnight, May 18, 2009.

1. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, CN has really been slipping in quality. I remember the days when Transformers were after school, their original shows were funny, and Tenchi Muyo, Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Big O, and others were on every Friday night. Now, Toonami (the best part of CN imo) is gone, Transformers' time spots are the second worst that I can remember (Cybertron only had 6 AM weekdays for reruns), and they're now adding non-cartoon shows.

Good Cartoon Network, I'll miss you.

2. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. I used to be one of them. I kinda fell out of the weekly Japanese Bleach, Naruto, One Piece crowd. After a while, it feels like it rots you brain.

THIS! I noticed that a while ago. It is the same with Nickelodeon. Jimmy Neutron was GENIOUS! I WANT MY 90'S NICKELODEON BACK!!!

Though I can't beleive that CN is still airing Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo. I used to watch those as a kid and now I hear they are making a live-actiong Scooby-Doo television show! What?!?

Tenchi was one of the first television shows I bought on VHS...that and the GOOD parts of the early Pokemon. Oh, memories.

But now a lot of other networks are buying into the Anime business. I mean, it was Sci-fi Channel that brought Gurren Lagann to America. I really like how they can air some of the darker animes out there. Though...Rave Master?! I read that manga and I like the author, but there are much better shows you could choose to air!

And then there is the Anime Network. I actually don't get it but I do get most of the new episodes via this random On-Demand Channel I found. They did Full Metal Panic and are doing Kiba right now so...yeah.

Maybe it is all a giant plot by the cable companies and Capcom and other big CEOs to get people to buy more channels. If there is a channel that has good shows 24-7, then no one would ever want to buy more channels. Now there are special channels for specific kinds of shows. Nicktoons Network still airs decent adventure shows and Boomerang and some of those other channels are bringing back the old super hero shows. So they call up CN and tell them that they can't air Anime anymore because that would take profits away! I figured it out guys! Jk, but really, Cartoon Network is starting to disapoint me big time.

I wonder if they will make a Toonami-based Channel. I would pee.

3. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    How can you say that about DBZ?

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Exceptions to the rules! shhhh the fighting hasn't started yet. Don't ruin my fun D: .

Ha seriously! I can't stand the japanese voices for Goku or Vegeta.

5. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Ocean Group and Funimation Entertainment DBZ all the way.

The least they could've done was at least changed Krillin and Yajirobe's voice. They sound like kids.

Ironically, Drummond sounded like an improved English version Ryo of Vegeta.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i dont watch CN often...maybe one show (TF: Animated)

but isnt some of the anime they show dubbed and some subbed...im more of the sub kind of guy.

but as to why anime is getting dropped...maybe cause licensing fees are getting more expensive. Too much for CN.

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Agreed. . .back in 1994, CN did have good stuff on often. Now, Boomerang is the best we get. I wish the "Boomer" had better selection, though.

As for the reduction in anime--good. I enjoy a Cowboy Bebop or Akira every now and then, but for the most part, the kiddie-stuff sucks, and I'm sick of it taking over the airwaves. Take your U-Gio, and shove it, U-Gio fans. :) 

8. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    While I do not watch a lot of Anime anymore, I do prefer the sub versions. So it does not bother me that Anime is not on Cartoon Network's daily schedule. Although, I would like to see DragonBall return.

9. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    God no. Tenchi Muyo/Universe/In Tokyo's Dubs were alright, but far from the Best. If anything the best voice actor out of the lot was the one for Ryoko.

[Other Great English Dubs]:

#1. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz
    #2. Outlaw Star
    #3. Blue Submarine No.6
    #4. The Big O/The Big O II
    #5. R.O.D. THE TV
    #6. Ronin Warriors
    #7. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team
    #8. Wolf's Rain
    #9. Full Metal Alchemist
    #10. Almost Every Hayao Miyazaki movie Produced under Disney (or otherwise noted)
    #11. Samurai Champloo
    #12. Bleach (The first Season)
    #13. Gunsmith Cats OVA
    #14. Digimon: Digital Monsters (Seasons 1-3)/Digimon: The Movie
    #15. Cardcaptors
    #16. Dragon Ball/Z
    #17. Sailor Moon/Sailor Moon R
    #18. Rurouni Kenshin
    #19. Yu-Yu Hakusho
    #20. Paradise Kiss

10. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Kinda sucks that anime isn't being shown. Even though I always will prefer the subs.

The only dubs I can bring myself to watch are Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

11. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

All of this awesomeness and no love for Evangelion? Really?

Anyway, CN is practically eliminating animation as a whole right now anyway. Why even call yourselves cartoon network anymore?

12. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Epic Fail Cartoon Network...... Epic Fail.

hell Zoids isn't even on that list

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

CN has cancelled award winning, high quality series because their merchandise wasn't as popular as they wished for. With CN, it's not about ratings, it's about products.

And not all dubbed anime is bad.

Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo are as good as free to repeatedly air, so it's good for filler. Sci-Fi has always had sporadic airings of Anime here and there, but now that you need a box to see the channel it's a bit of a pain to catch. And Anime Network sucks. For an On-Demand channel, it has very few actual options and gets new content very slowly. Often times it'll stop airing a series before it even ends, and pick it up a few months later where it left off. For a normal network this wouldn't be horrible, but for a specific, pay-per-view On-demand channel, it's a kick in the balls.

And while there were rumblings of a Toonami "on-demand" style channel, I don't think anything came of it. Toonami was run by the same guys as Adult Swim, so if anything there might be a mixed channel featuring older shows from both "sub-networks" but not an actual new channel.

Nothing shown on CN or AS was subbed.

Sadly it seems the big "Anime craze" of the late 90s has lost a lot of steam on mainstream television in the west. I remember way back when I was able to flip through 3-4 channels on saturday morning and watch a different "anime" on each one. Every network was clammouring for the next big thing and niche networks were airing niche series as well. Now, it's just not as popular to get random animes that have no built in male 12-18 fanbase. If it doesn't have an accompanying line of collectable toys/cards or an already established fanbase it won't see the light of day.

14. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wut

15. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I've only really heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion from word of mouth. Its all been positive, so I'm guessing I should take a looks-see into it.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    CN was indeed a much cooler network a while back but still, it's *never* been the best place for anime. You've got that right at your fingertips. Internet baby.

17. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Such as?

And I was being kind of facetious, but it's in large part to that - at least that's what CN has said all along (and it makes sense, it's expensive enough to license that stuff and then find out nobody is really watching it anyways). The other factor being what else was mentioned - CN wants to own their stuff, and why not? So not only does something like Tim & Eric get more viewers than a lot of anime stuff did, but the profits from DVD don't have to split up with licensing fees or whatever too - so win win.

However, most of CN's current successful shows barely have any merch at all, aside from an occasional novelty t-shirt or something like that, so you can't really say that outright (does CN own Ben10 though, I don't really watch the non-Adult Swim stuff). Which sucks, because you have no idea how much I want Venture Bros and Squidbillies action figures damnit ;) 

18. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I will add, I have been watching Ghost In the Shell SAC on Netflix the last couple of days, and really digging that. I can't imagine watching it cut up or with commercials though, so really in this day and age there is nothing to complain about if you aren't getting your fill of cartoons, ya know? Streaming to your Xbox, torrents, Netflix etc. You wanna watch it, it's out there, go get it.

My dilemma with these "Adult Swim sucks now" arguments though (which seem to pop up just about once every 3 weeks lately btw), and why I have so little sympathy for the people who use them, is this - if CN stopped showing anime, your supply of it isn't really cut off because you can still get it from lots of sources - BETTER sources too. But if CN decides to cancel Tim & Eric, Ventures, Foster's etc, well that's it - bye bye. I'm not really a fan of anime anymore, but I would never be like GET RID OF THAT JUNK HAI GUYS AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES GAY ASS JAP TOONS or whatever threads because I know obviously people like it, and it can occasionally be pretty cool too. Oh yeah and also IT'S THE 21ST GODDAMNED CENTURY AND MY TELEVISION HAS A REMOTE CONTROL IF I DON'T LIKE WATCHING SOMETHING, ahem ;) . But seeing all these &%(#& TIM AND ERIC AND ADULT SWIM TOO posts or whatever, just comes across as really dicky.

I'm just sayin'.

19. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Thats sad. But I must say that AS has not picked up a good anime since the Ghost in the Shell series. Maybe if they picked better stuff the shows would get ratings.