Cartoon Network

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Runamuck, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I just noticed that they show the old Voltron episodes on Cartoon Network. If they can show Voltron, why can't they show old TF episodes?

Sorry if this has been brought up a million times, and it isn't supposed to spark deep-thinking discussion, but I was just wondering this after watching that Voltron episode.

2. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    once upon a time cartoon network was run by very nice people who loved cartoons. then one day some guy with a degree in banking took the top post. since then it has mostly been an avalanche of crappy cartoons and crappier re-runs. not that any of that has anything to do with why they don't play TF cartoons, but in my mind that is why...

(i know this because close friends were pitching a cartoon to them when the power switch happened...)

3. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Well, considering the CEO of the network just resigned in light of that whole Aqua Teen Hunger Force promotion scare in Boston - and the fact that CN has been actively advertising for a new programming director - there may be light at the end of the tunnel yet. :wink: 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hardly watch CN anymore. I remember Saturday night lineups of Samurai Jack, JLA, The Transformers etc. Now there's hardly a show I can stand. I sure hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'm pretty sure it probably has to do with them wanting all/most of their shows to be done in house. That way they can get a cut out of merchandising/licensing the shows. Plus the company handling G1 (Sony?) would probably like some nice change for them to air G1. I think Voltron is just to help market the DvDs (which the Green Lion set 3 has been delayed until May). I watch CN for Futurama and some of the 11 minute shows (Aqua Teen, SeaLab and Metaloclypse among others). Also Foster's is on right now. Bloo rules.

6. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

um cartoon network does play transformers cartoons

7. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

yeah, they've run Cybertron so far in the ground it's about to come out the other side of the earth.

8. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

LOL that was halirous, CN said they did it and Boston didn't believe them. Good vid on youtube about it

9. TimothyVernon

true. i personally think.. cybertron and armada are just very corny.
    i remember bein a kid and watching beast wars before school, that and g1 were the best.. but most of the g1 episodes are on youtube so tv doesn't really matter

10. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I think CN had some good shows, ATHF, Frisky Dingo, Minoriteam, Venture Bros, Assy McGee, Metalocalypse, all good watchable shows, although yeah the rest is pretty much blah.

11. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    totally! thank god for craig mc cracken! anyone else remember 'no neck joe'?

i am surprised they don't re-run the GI series anywhere. it seems like most of the 80's shows cartoon network runs are just the old hanna barbera...oh well!

12. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:

Uhh, yeah...I know they show TF cartoons. I guess you really didn't read too much into my first post. It implied that since they were showing OLD Voltron cartoons, that maybe they could show OLD TF cartoons.

And youtube...or TV. Hmm...I think I'd take TV.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe I should apply for the program director job. Get a hold of the old Looney Tunes and Hanna Barberra (sp?) for mid-days (preschooler time), modern action stuff in the afternoon, CN original stuff during prime time, and retro weekend mornings with Jem, TFs, GIJoe, Smurfs, Thundarr, and all that extra crap I used to watch as a kid. Keep the cartoon movie of the week on weekend afternoons, and do some real anime Friday and Saturday nights...I'd be great at that job.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    That depends on one's personal definition of "good" and "watchable". And calling Assy McGee a "good watchable show" but not mentioning "Cowboy Bebop" or other Adult Swim shows like "Harvey Birdman" or "Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast"? WTF?

You also neglected to mention any non-Adult Swim shows, with entertaining programming like Samurai Jack, Star Wars: Clone Wars, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powepuff Girls, Duck Dodgers, Megas XLR, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door, Teen Titans, Justice League, Cartoon Planet, Time Squad, Ben 10. And I'll take any of those shows over the one-joke Assy McGee.

As for other theories offered on why CN doesn't air G1 TFs: the reality is that many more kids watch CN than adults. And CN's major advertisers want to reach the kiddie demographics, not adults. And CN caters to their core demographics for that reason alone.

Let's face facts-- it would be mostly diehard TF fans tuning in regularly to watch G1 and they make up a very small percentage of CN's audience. Kids would tune in out of curiousity and when they see how dated and cheesy it is, flip over instead to Nick or Disney. Granted, there would also be 80's children tuning in as well to relive a little nostalgia, but again they're just a small portion of the demographics pie.

And most diehard TF fans would probably already own the Rhino G1 TF DVD sets, and so they lose another chunk of potential viewers. I wouldn't bother tuning in to see G1 on TV for that very reason. Unless they were somehow offering newly produced G1 content or a brand new show altogether based on G1, it would be a waste of my time to tune in.

For a while, I hoped CN would air BW or BM, but then they were released on DVD too, and now I can watch them anytime I want.

But have patience... "Transformers: Heroes" is on its way. Who knows... it might just be something that TF fans all unite around for once. Or it could suck. Either way, we're bound to get some cool toys out of it and that would be worthwhile to me at least.

15. TimothyVernon

yeah.. before your get your panties in an uproar you should understand that my comment wasn't directed towards you.

and my computer rocks and the screen is large and awesome. not to mention the gen 1 shows aren't on tv, and i don't feeling buying the dvd's and youtube has most of the episodes in pretty good resolution so.. i'll take youtube.

16. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

uhm well what time exactly do they air this show at??

17. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    No panties in an uproar here. I was simply making a post.

And I do not have a large and awesome computer screen, nor large and awesome TV, for that matter. So, kudos to you for having that awesome computer screen. I'll stick to TV.

18. TimothyVernon

fair enough

19. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

yeah, seriously i have never seen any tf cartoon on the cartoon network. in oregon or iowa! everytime the cn is on there is some blue ghost thing in a house of monsters. or some anime thing i couldnt care about.

athf on adult swim is pretty cool though....

20. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Well, where I live, they show Transformers Cybertron at 5am(central time) on weekdays. Not sure about weekends.