Cars running on water?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=trancedm

My first thought was "scam". Then I watched the first video of the new broadcast. Then I thought it might be worth considering. My question now is, how hard would it be to make a "fake" news broadcast? Could this be legit?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, a buddy of mine claims that he did something like this to his Civic. I'll have to ask him if this was what he pulled off.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Bull and Shit.

If it was possible to easily generate electricity from water, every power company would be doing it as water is readily available and thousands of times less expensive than traditional fuels.

4. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Apparently this can work, but you'd have to be very very commited, and have a pretty good knowledge in chemistry.

It seems like it uses steam injections to make the create hydrogen particles or something like it and use that as partial fuel. It's not something I'd do with my own car, though. Too much trouble.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It claims to use electrolysis from your car's battery to make Oxyhydrogen (HHO) to improve your fuel economy. However if you know thermodynamics, it resolves down to creating energy out of nothing. The energy required to make HHO is always greater than what can be recovered from it's combustion.

Plus it claims that just 60 dollars of equipment from a hardware and automotive store are needed for the conversion. If that was really the case, then like I said before, energy companies would just be chomping at the bit to use the tech.

And automotive companies would too. I know every-one's probably heard about the patents for a 100 MPG carburetor and the engine designed to run on water having been bought by big oil and sat on, but with the push by the federal government to increase average MPG and reduce emissions someone at Ford (or automaker of your choice) would have independently came up with a similar design, or acquired an expired patent, and put it into a production model to become the super green company and rake in millions of dollars.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Always apply Occam's razor first. What's more likely, some jackass on the internet is trying to scam you, or some jackass on the internet is the ONLY PERSON WHO HAS MANAGED TO EVADE THE MASSIVE WORLDWIDE CONSPIRACY TO KEEP YOU FROM THE TRUTH L@@K NR?

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Bingo.

This is smoke and mirrors people.

8. ToSte

ToSte Well-Known Member

If you have a jar of water with 12v running through it to create an on demand supply of HHO how much more power can it take than running a high wattage stereo?

9. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I read this as "Cats running on water".

I should get my vision checked.

Kitty Jesus?

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Science: When you absolutely, positively gotta disprove every scam in the room, accept no substitutes.

Also, power companies do use water to generate electricty. Hydroelectric power (ie. dams, like the ones used for various climactic battles in tf). Cheap, clean, and relatively inexhaustible with no emissions (though you could argue a bunch of other environmental effects). But yeah, this thing is still full of crap.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If this is true (which I doubt) than I'd still be fearful. We'd run out of water pretty quick. Now if people could make cars run off Salt Water... with only oxygen and salt being emitted, I'd be impressed.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  13. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I hope this becomes a reality one day, but can they ensure horse power?

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

That pretty much sums it up right there.

tikgnat also raises an important point, even if this were possible, we don't have an unlimited supply of fresh water. Although, like you said, if it worked and if you could use salt water, I'd say the fuel/energy problem is solved. However, it also raises another problem, if cars run on salt water and emit only salt water, would this not pose an environmental problem by raising the sodium content in ground water and rivers due to runoff?

Although if I had the money, I'd buy the plans and the materials to try it out, just to satisfy that piece of me that's curious.

15. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

This stuff been around since the 70's.

16. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

That reminds of that one "that 70's show" were they keep talking about the car that runs on water.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I figured the website is a scam because of the "low cost" of conversion. It was the newstory linked to that made me scratch my head. Surely they wouldn't run the story if the guy was scamming and his welder were not actually running on water. I'm sure the tech is solid, but the ability to convert your own car for $160 a bit of a scam.