Carpocalypse Now: If you ever want a Bumblebee, you'd better hurry.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nutcrusher, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I do like the look of the new Taurus and the Fusion, although I still much prefer the Falcon, but its what I grew up with.

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    My '99 Dodge Neon has over 192,000 on its original engine, and is only NOW in need of a transmission rebuild. And it survived collisions with a mule deer and an 8 month old elk. I try and take care of it as best I can - I look at it like 'if you take care of your car, it will take care of you'.

--Moony

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    1. "Carpocalypse Now" is the half-joking name for the auto maker meltdown - I believe coined by our friends at Jalopnik - and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

2. I would strongly contest the anti-UAW talk, but I'm afraid that doing so would border on the political - which is verboten here. I will say only this: please don't blame the rank-and-file for the mistakes of upper management. The "big three" all neglected investment and development in smaller, less expensive, more efficient vehicles during the SUV craze. They took the easy money that came from SUVs and didn't do a lot of long-term thinking or planning. Now that SUVs are so much less desirable the "big three" have been scrambling.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I wish I was able to care for my ol' 97 Dodge Stratus before I got into a car accident with it :cry .

That's okay... I'm taking better care of my 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Not worried. New technology will always be a goal in our nature. And the automobile category is way up there.
    There will always be new cars pushing new boundaries, choices may be a little slimmer that's all.

6. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight... it's built with steel and aluminum from North America, built with North American labour and you still won't buy it just because the badge originated from elsewhere? Wow..

Someone nailed it on the head though; at the end of the day, both management and UAW need to share the blame on the sorry state these three companies are in. The government pumping money into essentially these poor run business is only prolonging the inevitable in my opinion. I do feel sorry for the rank-and-file and their families though; it must be hell going to work everyday thinking it could be your last before getting the boot.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The company headquarters is overseas and that is where all the profits go. That is how she defines foreign cars and I agree. We have a Toyota Camry plant here in KY, but it is still a foreign car since alot of the money will go overseas.

I agree with the talk of the UAW. It was good when it came into being and has been good as far as the employees are concerned. They make good money. However, in an economy where most people make half that much, the high labor will cause the price of the cars to be too high and out of the price range of most people. Imagine if the new Camaro SS were only $20K instead of $35. How many more would they sell? So the UAW has been too good to the employees and has shot the company in the foot. The pay has gone up too much over the years. Instead of just keeping up with inflation, they have way overshot it.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last summer, a 92 Lincoln Town car was given to me. It used to belong to a friend of my family and he passed away last year. Anyway, the car has around 160,000 miles and it still drives great. The few things it needs is new upper ball joints and a new brake rotor. I have to add a quart of oil about every three weeks.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

My dads 99 sunfire still runs strong and has quite a lot of trips on its back

and before it the dodge phantom 92-man I loved that car- lasted just as long and it was quite badass

the cars arent whats wrong really its how you take care of them. and well A car a is Car doesnt matter where it come from all have 4 wheels and 1 engine.-yes Im quoting initial D-

And frankly designs I liked in cars that arent foreign faded circa 2000

then again my favorite cars are from 92.-currently drives a celica 92-

10. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Cars you won't be finding in 2009 - WalletPop Blog

Geez the Saturn line wouldn't have this faith if GM didn't killed the electric car, the EV1 (only available in California as a commuter car). That baby would have been today's Prius. Especially when gas hit over $4 here in Cali.

Don't always blame the higher ups, shareholders can be also the blame. They have a "control" on companies decisions. Remember the Selling Yahoo.com fight?

Lots of people will be losing there jobs. That like saying "Ding-Dong-another-family-that depends-on-welfare, losing their house, starving, etc."

If you don't like it, don't buy from it.

11. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

i still have a few years untill i can drive, untill then im saving up for a camaro.

12. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Sadly GM aint the same as it used to be, we have 3 Impalas as patrol vehicles at where I work(2 '05s and a '07) and they are constantly having to be worked on at least 3-4 times a month. My first car was a '79 Olds Delta 88, and that thing was a beast that wouldn't quit, they need to build them with that quality again, not trying to put out as many different models as they can but a few damn good ones.

13. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    They should have listened...

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

They sure don't make cars like they used to anymore.

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I don't ever recall any 60's and 70's models running for 200,000+ miles. I detect some rose colored glasses.

16. LilithMorrigan

LilithMorrigan Banned

I don't know about 1960's model vehicles but I can recall plenty of 1970's and 1980's model cars that run past the 200k miles.

I detect purposefully being obtuse I think.

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I guess people must have taken better care of them where you live. Anything over 100K was worn out where I grew up.

18. LilithMorrigan

LilithMorrigan Banned

Columbia, MO isn't that much less redneck than what I've seen of KY. I would think that your statement isn't entirely accurate.