Carpocalypse Now: If you ever want a Bumblebee, you'd better hurry.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nutcrusher, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Because GM is shutting down its High Performance division.

Saturn division is dead. Hummer's on the table. Pontiac's good as dead with the complete cut on the G8 production. Saab's been dying slowly. Cadillac V models are dead along with Chevy SS models. I'm afraid that even Camaro's and the Corvette's days are numbered.

The company will likely survive, but it won't be the GM as we know it.

Chrysler's desperately looking for partners, although it really doesn't have much to offer. It drags on with rehashed version of current cars. Chrysler might just die off or be bought out in near future.

Ford is doing much better, which is good news. But Mercury and Lincoln are still undesirable, although money loss is minimized thanks to platform sharing throughout all three brands.

Japanese companies aren't doing much better. Toyota's cutting up to 40% of its development. It's already stopped truck production after low sales.

Honda's Acura brand is said to be doing worse, not helped by the extremely polarizing design they've recently implemented.

Mitsubishi and Subaru have very little to show, especially now that they've withdrawn from rallying that made them so popular in the first place.

Audi's pulled out from American Le Mans series, in which it's claimed long standing victories. Aston Martin's suffering from a drastic sales drop. Porsche's also seeing the effect.

2. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

And there we have it folks, even more proof that GM is run by mental defectives who just don't/won't/can't understand anything whatsoever about cars or their marketplace.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I doubt Corvette will go away. People that could afford those cars before the economy tanked can probably still afford them.

While I feel for the families it affects, these companies have made their bed.

If the Jobs Bank is still around after this bailout, then I will give up on the Big 3.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dea.. uh... I mean... er..

... you know, I'll just let myself out.

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Hopefully they'll realize that while the new car market is dying, the parts market will be expanding as people hang onto their older vehicles.

--Moony

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't know or hear any announcement about Saturn.
    I am still seeing red from the new handout GM wants as they announce nearly 50,000 more job cuts.

I hope future execs at college are watching.
    This is what you get when you ignore your competition outright, and push bland, boring, lifeless and underpowered product out of the plant for 25 years and at the 11th hour design cars that would have been revolutionary 5 years ago.
    too damn little, too damn late.

IMO, The big 3 should die. I don't want decent folks here losing their livelihood or feeling like their hard work was wasted on a lost cause. But the Big 3 made fatal mistakes and fatal mistakes kill. that simple.
    They aren't like the Dodo or the great Auk- birds that were foolishly killed off by hunters.
    They are a species that didn't grow fur when the cold winds blew in and well....froze to death.

the incompetence being revealed in this mess borders on criminal. rant over.

7. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Excellent point there. Good news for spurious parts manufacturers.

8. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Carpocalypse? You can't be serious since nothing could be further from the truth. Just because GM is phasing out several brands doesn't necessarily mean it's no longer going to be in the business of selling high performance cars; somehow I doubt Chrysler will be shutting down MOPAR anytime soon as well.

Don't even get me started on your assessment on the Euro and Asian auto makers; heck, even Hyundai is raising its profile in the performance aspect rolling out a 290 horsepower, rear-wheel drive coupe (for under $35K as well if I'm not mistaken).

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was going to go with GM if Chrysler tanks, but if GM is going to bomb... looks like I just might end up with Ford, despite the fact that the only good Ford is a Mustang.

There's no way I'm buying foreign... unless it's a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini... none of which I'd be able to afford in this lifetime.

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    But wouldn't that require them to have a brain?

11. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I can never understand the reasoning behind this, especially since "foreign" cars are usually built domestically in North America these days.

12. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

:lolol 

13. Lock Cade

Still... a foreign car is a foreign car, even if these days they're being build in countries outside where they originated.

I've had a good number of family members who have worked for at least one of the Big 3... my mom used to work at a Chevy dealership, my grandpa from my dad's side on the family used to work for Chrysler, my uncle from my mom's side of the family works at a a Chevy dealership, and a cousin from my dad's side of the family works for Ford.

Since my family has had cars from the Big 3, I'm pretty much accustomed to buying only from the Big 3.

But should Ford join GM and Chrysler in bankruptcy, then I can just keep driving my Jeep until it's no longer roadworthy or I'll start looking into other modes of transportation.

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Can't say they're undeserving of this.

I wonder how this'll work into TF3, though.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Where's my fucking bailout check?

16. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    GM is trimming brands that don't sell and cutting back on high performance vehicles, which are a luxury and a hard sell at this point. sounds like they're keeping themselves viable. this doesn't effect any of the Camaro models and they're introducing several new models in the next two years like the Cruze (35+ mpg) and the Volt (electric car). this is just GM adjusting to the demands of the market.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    no!!!!!! they can't kill the hummer and pontiac i like them.

18. Lock Cade

That was my response... I like Hummers. I would like to get one, but if they're going to kill the Hummer, then it looks like I won't be getting one...

19. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Where was KB's constant fearmongering? Where were KB's "campaign contributions?"

Executives that can't/won't understand your industry or the market is just a start!

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This^

Part of the requirement of the first bail-out check was that they present a plan to keep themselves viable. This is part of it. However, there needs to be a better check on some internal workings of the company instead of just product adjustments. Cut some of the fat and wasteful spending.