Carly's change of dresses

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jun 26, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I'm surprised Carly got to change her dress as she left for Chicago. Guess Dylan is quite a gentleman after all, perhaps I've misjudged him...

From a production point of view, it was just because MBay didn't want another skimpily-clothed heroine running around a battlefield. As if we minded THAT at all :p ! But still, I felt it was a little weird, though I didn't think it was a continuity thing...

2. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    um i dunno

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    This is a rather odd nitpick considering some of the other issues DotM had...

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    ^This

From a story POV, it does make sense, even if does come off as some sort of error in continuity. She may be his 'hostage', but he also sort of (creepily) likes her. He wants her to look nice. And be prepared And also wants her to be safe during the incoming invasion. I can just imagine him having a huge closet full of clothes to let her change into. Think Beauty and Beast when Beast shows Bell his library. "Her you go, Duchess. You may want to change into something more...comfortable. Things are about to get really bad really fast."

From a production POV, it also makes sense. She's in an awkward dress. Have her change wardrobe off-screen to allow for a more 'battle-ready' (sort of) outfit.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    She kept her dress on in the comic-novelization (but then it's generally agreed that was the better version of DOTM). That's what drew me to this discrepancy in the first place.

6. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a friend commented the other day when we were watching that movie that she never wore much of anything except white. Wonder what that was all about.

7. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    :lol  You mean the 90 page, super-rushed and condensed version of DotM that flows even worse than the movie? Not quite sure where you get that idea from, but okay. Peter David's novelization, yes. The comic adaptation? Not so much. Yeah... it does some things better but it also shoehorns 2.5 hours worth of events into what would probably translate to a 50 minute movie. They're different mediums with different strengths and different weaknesses. The comic is meant to be shorter, the novel is meant to be longer. The movie is the in-between stage, it has to take those events and fill 2.5 hours with them.

In the comic, Carly goes straight from Dylan's party to Chicago. In the movie, there's obviously that stop-over sequence where they gather the pillars from his company and get in the helicopter. Carly didn't have to climb onto a bus to speak to Megatron eye-to-eye. And you can also see from the comic that it just looks plain awkward (and very sexual) to have picture-after-picture of her upskirt every dang page as she runs through buildings and alleyways, being chased by Decepticons. As I said before, it's more practical to just have her in pants. The comic didn't have to worry about that for reasons stated above.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

These random threads the OP keeps making are becoming more and more trivial.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

While we're on it, let's discuss the font they used for the credits.

10. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

I thought they were pretty cool.

11. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, she always in clean clothes even in the most intense moments, like, after each explosion she change dresses. And she runs very briskly in high heels, it's unreal!
    I respect Megan Fox, because she ran in a tattered dress, without heels and with flowed makeup! And it was amazing, she is a real woman! :thumbs2: 

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    "Carly, look nice for the enslavement of the Human race!"

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Traditionally, it would be a way of showing her as pure and virginal. If we contrast this with how mikela wore predominantly dark colors and "masculine" clothing, it's sort of a comparison of their characters: in that she was the aggressive, "bad girl" and Carly was a damsel in distress.

As to her new dress, I can picture Dylan saying something like "You there, alien robot from another world, go down the street and pick her out something nice. No I don't know what her size is! GUESS!"

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Yeah, Bay seemed to be trying to show Carly as the "perfect" woman - which is actually a reason why I didn't care for the character.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Carly was Dylan's prize and he treated her relatively well; he let her stay in his fancy place in Chicago, with the luxurious food, drink, etc, and Megatron didn't seem to care about her prescence either, so she could survive the apocalypse with him.

16. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Complete with six inch heels. How she didn't fall and break her neck I'll never know.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    She's a model. She could probably breakdance in those things.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    People changing their clothes is no different than Transformers changing in to cars and trucks.

19. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    :lol  Yes, obviously there's the heels. Maybe "battle-ready" isn't the right choice of words. But between "skin-tight dress and heels" and "jeans, sweater and heels", the latter is the least not-battle-appropriate. ;) 

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    She changed her earrings, too.