Carly/Sam relationship backstory (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

I just saw this on ET.

According to Shia, Sam is coming off of heartbreak and is looking for someone to fill the void (or something along those lines), and he finds that in Carly.

According to Rosie, Carly and Sam are already living together in an apartment at the beginning of the movie. Carly had been working for the British embassy, and she and Sam met in the White House.

She also hinted that her boss, Dylan, could be part of a love triangle with them, and Patrick Dempsey later basically hinted that Dylan might get a little "McDreamy" with Carly.

2. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    basically confirms that Megan(Mikala) will only be mentioned in a passing conversation as whole then in TF3.

3. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I hope it's explained well... not just, "Oh, I broke up with my other girlfriend."

4. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The easy way is to say she broke up with him. The interesting way is too say she was killed by a decpeticon. Who knows what may happen in the prequel comics?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I have repeated ad nauseum that having her killed by a decepticon is something an eight year old would come up with, but no one seems to remember. Anyway, as I have also said many times before, it ain't gonna happen.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Heartbreak" kind of implies a breakup not someone dying. Dying would better be described of as a tragedy.

7. chojin998

chojin998 Well-Known Member

So Cristopher Nolan must be an 8 year old brat having had Rachel character being killed by the Joker (the evil in the movie just like Decepticons are) on The Dark Knight, uh?

The heartbreak thing is going to be cheap soap opera writing.
    Having Mikaela killed by Decepticons with flashback scenes and a funeral would add the dramatic effect and wouldn't trash Sam Witwicky character along with the whole movie franchise.

An heartbreak condition applies even if your loved one dies, not just for a soap style breakup despite how common it can have become nowadays.

8. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    it sucks they cut her out completely, maybe if she was in it and actually dumps him we could see a real sense of humanity to his character, but the audience is already forced into buying the whole "its 2-3 years" later crap. How does a dorky kid top Mikaela? At one angle it makes sense they wouldnt last but people that go through the things they did dont usually break up or fall out completely, that would form a lasting bond at the least. At least they didnt recast her like they have done with the Hulk and Rachel, that would be worse.

9. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

Yeah because surviving alien wars together surely gaurantees you're the perfect life partners for each other excluding counting social status, education, economy, life goals, the stuff that usually makes up a lasting relationship.

I never really thought the two would last. They make decent high school sweethearts, troubled pretty girl and awkward sheltered boy. Sam probably gave Mikaela a sense of security that had eluded her most of her life. She's a sweet-smart young woman that's seen her fair share of life's unhappy moments and humans' dark side. Sam was a sheltered kid and once got into college probably the "real world" changed him, robot war left him jaded, he wasn't that sweet kid anymore... One thing about Mikaela she doesn't deal with BS from guys.

Well that's my two sense of why they broke up. Wish we knew more about Carly. Strange that I'm actually interested in a HUMAN CHARACTER in the Bayfilms...

10. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    [​IMG] nuff said

11. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

True :lolol 

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Didn't she say that Sam wanted someone who loved him for who he is, and not because of being around Transformers?

13. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Its like they are trying to take a dump on Mikaela's character but she spent most of her time trying to dump him or telling he was crazy

14. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    either way [​IMG]

15. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

To each their own, but I can buy the ol' "sorry it didn't work out for you two" line and be done with it - it happens in real life as far as I know (it happened to me, and I'm far from being a fictitious character). I'd be GLAD to see some realism in a broken relationship in a movie for once.

Besides, it leaves more time to see some robots beating the crap out of each other. :D 

Oh, if only Mondays were like that for me.

16. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

my two cents...cents people!!! Sorry...

17. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    they could always go with wheelie humping her leg to death.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought they met during a late-night trip to Walgreen's.

19. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm gonna transcribe the relevent parts:

MARK STEINES: "Action, sure, but Shia ALSO promises an emotional love story, far different than 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'."

SHIA: "I think what we were lacking in the second movie was...heart, but I think, with the addition of Rosie and - and new characters, you still have the magic of the first film, but you have the depth and the endgame of the third."

MARK: "Where is Sam coming from in this relationship?"

SHIA: "Sam's coming out of heartbreak, and he's looking for a rock. He's looking for stability. He's looking for a person who doesn't love him for his involvement in the wars - or because of his involvement with the robots, somebody that loves him for HIM, the depths of Sam, uh, aside from his involvement in the - in the - the awesomeness that is this, right?"

MARK: "Sure."

SHIA: "And so he's - he's - he's looking to - to FIND himself and find a person who - who understands the definition and loves him for him, and he finds it in ROSIE,...Rosie's character, Carly."

MARK: "Carly and Sam's love is sure tested in this attack with destruction on a massive scale."

MARK: "In 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon', Shia is a decorated national hero; Rosie is his live-in love."

MARK: "Where does this chemistry start?"

ROSIE: "Oh,...we...met in the White House when I - I work for the British, or I WORKED for the British embassy [unintelligible], and we met in the White House, um, and then, uh, you know, we - we sort of - film starts in our apartment, and, um,..."

MARK: "Did HE chase YOU? Did YOU pursue HIM?"

ROSIE: "I think HE chased ME."

MARK: "He went after you."

[BOTH LAUGH]

MARK: "But, as Sam, Shia may have MORE to worry about than Decepticons. Patrick Dempsey is moonlighting, and that creates the 'Transformers' Love Triangle."

ROSIE: "I work...for Patrick - for Dylan. He's my boss, and, uh, you know, you have a little energy going between them, a little vibe, and, uh, well, the rest, you'll have to watch."

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The Decepticons are not the Joker, and Transformers isn't The Dark Knight. Joker is more concerned with causing nihilistic panic, chaos, and emotional distress, not to mention torturing Batman. The Decepticons could care less about one puny flesh creature's emotional attachment. Killing one human to upset another would seem to them a complete waste of resources. Is that so hard to understand?