Carl Erik Rinsch - The Perfect Guy to Handle Any Transformers reboot...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 27, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So i was trying to look over his work and this guy i think is perfect to handle any eventual Transformers reboots.

his work on the short "The Gift" is exceptional and i think given the chance, he would do the Transformers myth justice and the solid story and movies us Transformers fans deserve. what also compelled me to make a thread about it is that he is an up and coming director, but has the talent and skills to take on an endeavor such as any eventual Transformers reboots. he also worked with Ridley Scott and if ever he gets the opportunity to take on a Transformers reboot, he would be like what Neil Blomkamp was.

also, the robot on his short feature film proved that with the care, talent, and skill, it is possible to have robot designs that can actually have more humanoid faces on them. i know the robot in the short film didnt show its mouth moving or any expression of the face, but i think with careful and great work, as shown on the clip, it is possible to put actual humanoid faces on robots and with CGI, probably make it so that while the robot has a humanoid face and could talk, frown, make faces, or what-not, it is possible to make them have faces so that at least in the reboots, Starscream at least have a good-looking face lol.

Check out his Behind-The-Scenes interview at the bottom of the page:

Exclusive: Making Of Carl Erik Rinsch’s The Gift | /Film

And this is his feature short film titled "The Gift"

YouTube - Philips Cinema - Parallel Lines - The Gift, by Carl Erik Rinsch

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Interesting stuff, but that reminded me of I Robot. The Bay style isn't the best, but liquid metal faces would have been corny. Optimus face, to me, is how most of the faces should have been, actually able to smile frown etc...

For a short film, that was interesting. I think there's a lot more involved when the robots are 30 feet tall. Plus, I'm wary of non american directors doing Transformers... I wonder if they would appreciate the westernization of the characters and that impact on the film.

3. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    i get what you're saying and also, yes, the face of the robot in the short did remind me somewhat of I Robot but i think with the I Robot designs, it was kind of like a generic crash test dummy face, whereas this one looks and feels like a human face. but i do agree with you that i would probably find it lame if the faces were like liquid metal (i think this is probably the kind of design that "War for Cybertron" used, made the faces look liquid metal and then you can see the mouth actually move magically, without any articulating parts as what we have seen on Optimus Prime's Bay Transformers face.). i still think the best Transformers design would be a blend of Bay Transformers design, War for Cybertron designs, basing it all on G1... but going back to the short, it just proved that it was possible to integrate a human face to a robot form seamlessly and if any designer could actually accomplish that, but still maintaining some semblance of "robotness" and its mechanical components with the designs (like Optimus Prime's face on Bay's live-action movies), then that would really be great. imagine if, say, you took the robot face design of that short movie, blended it with the face design of Optimus Prime in Bay Transformers, (or imagine Starscream), i think that would be a great Transformer design for the eventual reboots.

also i think Carl Erik Rinsch is American. there's an interview of him at the bottom of the page on the first link i provided where he offers his thoughts and ideas on his short film. the more i learn about this guy, apparently he made that short film in Russia and entered it into some short film contest and since then, Ridley Scott started to back him and some major film outfits are trying to get their hands on his work.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The perfect guy to handle the Transformers reboot - or sequel for that matter - is Neil Blomkamp (District 9).

5. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    i'd have no problems with that at all :thumb 

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Peter Jackson. Seriously, you want epic? This man gives you epic.

7. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Meh. With both of them, Jackson and Blomkamp, I'd be worried we'd get too much dialogue and not enough action.

Transformers needs more of a Jon Fauvrea (the guy who did Iron Man) type. District 9 and Lord of The Rings are great films, but the same treatment applied to Transformers would be too wordy. Neither of them are really action films, which is what Transformers should be, not a sci fi epic.

8. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only guy I could see coming on as a new TF director is Robert Zemeckis. He has a Spieberg connection, can helm a big budget movie, and can do big action. Plus, given his more recent work, the concept of a predominately CGI main cast may interest him. Also, like Bay before him, Zemeckis is coming off a couple of financially under-performing films and could use the boost of a built-in audience that TF provides.

Other than him, I can't think of another big-time director that would even want to come anywhere near the property, and I don't think Hasbro/Viacom is going to tap some small auteur to helm their tentpole blockbuster. History proves they value fast turnaround and optimal budget efficiency over any kind of value of content.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    ^Wasn't Zemekis Speilberg's first choice to direct TF? Really wish he was the one who ended up with it.

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I could think of when I watched "The Gift" was how the transforming box looked suspiciously similar to the box from the Hellraiser movies. :)  Good stuff though.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Sure, let whoever direct it... but I'd desperately want the new director of the reboot or whatever to get the rights to the designs of the robots we have now.

I've gotten attached to these "alien, insect" robots, and I love em. I'm gonna be sad whenever they say farewell.

12. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    I disagree. Either James Cameron or Ridley Scott, but we all know that won't happen.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

It was a cool short film and all, but just because it had a robot in it, doesn't really mean he'd be good for a Transformers film. The short film was neat, but mostly it was neat looking. Other then that it didn't really make any sense...huh...Maybe he would be good for a TF film.

It's not really a matter of that it cant be done. It's that it'd just looks silly. It works for cartoons, but on a 3D robot, that's ment to be an alien, it would just look too campy.
    The only reason it makes sense in this context is because the robot in the film was obviously built and designed by humans to look like a human servant.

I would like to think though that there is a happy medium that wouldn't look completely human, but not completly alien either. You don't need a human face to emote character.

Peter Jackson and Neil know eachother. I believe Jackson helped Produce D9.
    Maybe they could work together on a Tf film...Well one can dream anyway.

I get what you're saying, but a scifi epic can be an action movie too. It's all about balancing out the talky scenes with the action scenes.
    Much like what Jon Fauvrea did with Iron man.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ridley Scott or GTFO.

15. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interestingly enough, Scott wanted Rinsch to direct the Alien prequel before Fox became nervous and Scott decided he may as well return as director.

Lot of great choices, but if someone's hoping a new director will completely change the aesthetic then they may be sadly mistaken, to the layman they look at the cartoon and go 'Oh back then the animators didn't have the time to show the articulation on their faces and just gave them faceplates,' or 'It was just a cartoon, they didn't need to think about scale' as with the case now with Starscream's so-called 'fat' appearance. After all the amazing work ILM has gone with everyone screaming out about how they were robbed of an Oscar, I don't think a director would want to start making the Transformers look more a 1980s toy. Even WFC has some influence from Procter, Nizzi et. al's work on the films by giving the Decepticons that alien appearance reminiscent of their own insignia. Figueroa's designs are a good alternative even though he didn't have to use real vehicles.

16. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no edgar Wright should do a reboot of Transformers...