Cardboard Store Displays - Any tips on how to get them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Swoop Dogg, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Does anybody have any tips on how to get the cardboard Transformers store displays that you see in the movie theaters and stores (TRU, Target, Wal-Mart) when they are done with them?

Thanks in advance!

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ask nicely?

3. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Well yeah that's a given.

I mean it seems like they are gone and or reserved by someone else before you know it. I just wanted to know what people who collect them do to get them. If they have any tips that work well etc.

4. PB379

PB379 Autobot

I got one from K-Mart when my Wife worked there when they had the Toys from the 2007 Movie.

5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Running, with a mate outside in a van.

Some go to charity auctions, but a lot just get given to who asked first, usually the staff.

I worked in a cinema about 15 years ago, man, was it really that long ago! Anyway, we got loads of posters and stands, I've still got a few, Natural Born Killers, and Disney Aristocats stands, and a '60's Batman movie poster amongst others.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  6. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

From my experience, an employee typically has them reserved. Sometimes they're a fan, other times a scalper; always they're not willing to let it go to a fan. The only other way to get a foot in the door is to know what display might be coming and reserve it BEFORE it even hits the store. That would require a relationship with someone who gets advance notice of these displays(i.e. store manager).

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just gotta get in there quick to begin with. If you know a big Transformers event is coming up (ie. the new BayFormers movie) go to shops that usually have cardboard standees and displays a few months before merchandise is going to show up and get your name on them then.
    Make friends with the staff, particularly those with higher positions in the store, like the manager or head of the toy department. Or, like me, have a relative that works in such a shop that brings me home the occasional cardboard nugget. Once you get that first foot in the door you're usually going to be considered everytime a TF promotional item is taken off the shop floor. Of course, sometimes the staff have already bagged the items for themselves, either to keep because they're fans themselves or sell online (in which case go online and buy them if you're that in need).
    Find out who makes them and contact the company to see if they may have some left over. You might be able to buy them. Doesn't often happen though, even less if having to mail them to you is involved.
    Find out where the store's bins are and keep an eye out. Check the store and when the posters and stuff vanish take a quick nose in the bin (as long as it's not gross or locked and guarded by savage dogs). Sometimes standees just get binned. Then just nick them, or more honestly ask the store if you can have them. They're out in the bin after all so it's not like they're worth anything to the store.
    Offer to pay something for them. A little grease to the wheels can help with a slightly reluctant store. If they were going in the bin anyway then offering a few quid for it can persuade them to let you have it and they get some cash to buy something yummy for the staff room maybe.
    Failing all that, standees are sold by some campanies in shops just like posters are. But of course those are just the normal fare and don't have the same appeal as proper promotional ones.

8. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Ask them if you can get it when they don't need it, if they say someone else already has it and they say no....shank them and run, run very fast.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Get cool with a manager at your preferred store(mine was TRU). This guy goes out of his way for me and my kids whenever I'm there.

10. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I always offer $20. for one. Has not failed yet!
    Take it, it's yours they say!

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Show them the goodies.