Heavy/Scratch: Cardboard Optimus Prime (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by CypherCrowley, Apr 22, 2011.

1. CypherCrowley

CypherCrowley Well-Known Member

After seeing all the great customs here in the forums I really wanted to give it a shot myself. Since I don't have any experience in this field and none of the required tools/materials I decided to build a cardboard mock-up before wasting piles of glue, paint and styrene parts.

This project started out as a more articulated version of G1 Huffer, but I jumped right in without doing any sketches or measurements and after a while I realised that what I was building was closer to OP in transformation than good ol' Huffer, so that's what it's gonna be.

Most of the joints aren't properly fixed yet and have not enough stability, so I had to use some sticky tape to pose Optimus for the photo shoot.

First, we have Robot mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vehicle Mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arm close-up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

woah! i was going to ask if it can transform,IT DOES it has eve articulations!!!!awesome!!

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Wow, this is looking amazing!

4. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is really nice work for cardboard, very impressive design work so far!

5. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the unique, fresh projects we need these days!!

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bet if you coat it in future or some clear laquer it'll be pretty solid too. Looks like a lot of work. I like it!

7. domshen

domshen Radicon

This is awesome, great work :-D

8. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    lookng good, will you build some more when once to have designed and built this?

9. Darth Wave

Darth Wave Well-Known Member

Dude... this looks great! I say once you are done use it as a template and make it out of Styrene. Great Job so Far!

10. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

Wow! This looks very promising! Keep the updates coming!

11. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Reminds me of my papercraft Prime. That I need to do more work on. This looks amazing though. Simplistic, but amazing. Are you using the Legends RTS Prime as a base? That's what the lower torso reminds me of.

12. CypherCrowley

Today I started working on the legs, to make sure everything fits together during transformation before spending more time on the arms and torso. The foot itself is just a placeholder atm and will be replaced by a proper one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leg in altmode:
    [​IMG]

Size comparison:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the great feedback, this is really encouraging and has solidified my aim to get this figure finished! I thought this would mostly go unnoticed, with all the great 'proper' customs on display here.

Yeah, that was my goal from the start, to have him poseable and able to transform.

I'm surprise to hear this, I'd have thought that there are billions of cardboard figures around considering how cheap and easy it is.

While I'm all for preserving our nature, let's hope he doesn't start decomposing once he's finished. :D 

Hey, that's a good idea. I have never seen any Future products over here, but I guess any acrylics-based floor polish will do. Let's see if this guy will turn out good enough to justify spending more time on cleaning him up.

I guess that depends on the result I'll get from this one. I totally enjoy the process, the ease of putting him together. I just hope I won't hit a brick wall regarding what can be achieved with the material. Especially joints and hinges are something that I haven't found a satisfying solution for. I'm currently using toothpicks, sticky tape and rolled up pieces of cardboard for the joints, but that's not rteally doing it for me. At the moment he's mostly held together through friction.
    I'd love to build a triple-changing Doubledealer one day.....

Yeah, that was the original idea, because right now I simply have to make do with what I've got lying around the house. The thought of switching over to styrene is kinda intimidating to me right now. I'd have to get some proper tools for that as well...

I like the concept of papercraft, but when it comes to designing the stuff I prefer the cardboard because I can get three-dimensionality just by layering the stuff, because it's so thick compared to paper.

But you're absolutely right, the transformation is based on RTS Legends Prime, I just love the superhero-torso of that figure. The legs are more based on Classics Voyager Prime, although I'm improvising there because sadly I don't own that figure.

Attached Files:

13. Buzby74

Ebay:
    you can get polycaps and things like from Hobby Link Japan i think. They would work well for joints if you can build them in...

14. Mechafacture

Mechafacture Well-Known Member

agree!!!

15. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks like fun!

16. CypherCrowley

Yeah, although that would defeat the purpose of doing it without paying a lot for tools/materials. It's what I'll do in the future, though.

It is! A lot, actually.

So, I had to abandon the Prime figure. The way I designed him he has way to many joints that are to close to each other. I couldn't find a way to get stability into the damn thing, so I'll have to build him with styrene someday.

But since I enjoy working with cardboard more that I expected to, I thought about what can be accomplished with the material. And so I decided to try rebuilding a G1 Figure, because their lack of articulation and blocky shape really lend themselves to cardboard.

I'll start a new thread once there is enough progress to warrant it. But here is a quick preview of what it's going to be. I'm sure most of you wil be able to guess who this is:

Bot-mode:
    [​IMG]

City-mode:
    [​IMG]

Spaceship/Battlestation-mode:
    [​IMG]

Size comparison:
    [​IMG]

He'll be roughly 30cm/12' tall.

Attached Files:

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    WOW

18. Buzby74

Ebay:
    Oh no! dont throw it away, I love to continue it myself. Would you send it me....

19. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    sorry to hear that buddy!