Heavy/Scratch: Cardboard Grimlock Costume

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DJ kevintron, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DJ kevintron

DJ kevintron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The year was 2012. Me and my partner in art crimes Jon started on our most extravagant project to date. Many months and hot glue burns later we made it to Retrocon 2012. I had forgotten that my wife and I documented the process. Since I've been seeing a lot of cosplay love on TFW as of late I decided to share in hopes of inspiring more.

First the Work!
    grim01.jpg
    In the beginning we started with the basic form of the head.
    grim02.jpg
    Then add the ear-tennas once we got the basic form down.
    grim03.jpg
    I tapped up ideas and sketches behind the work area. This also happened to be over my collection lol.
    grim04.jpg
    Rough sketch for the body and arms. Just trying to map out shapes here.
    grim05.jpg
    The rough fit of the chest. I've found Its actually smarter to start with the chest since everything scales to it. If I remember right we did have to alter a few things on the head for sizing issues which I don't seem to have pics of.
    grim06.jpg
    A little photo editing can help make sure your heading in the right direction...and which direction to go.
    grim07.jpg
    Test fit one. The chest and stomach are two pieces so im trying to figure where I want the chest to sit.
    grim08.jpg
    This piece helps the chest form tilting the wrong way and was a result of the test fit.
    grim09.jpg
    The un assembled shoulder/upper arm. The long tabs are the skeleton to hold it together.
    grim10.jpg
    This is the skin that gets glues over the skeleton.
    grim11.jpg
    The arms race begins.
    grim12JPG.jpg
    Test fit arms which uncovered a big issue. They fit but dont stay in place.
    grim13JPG.jpg
    Thats me in the costume and Jon thinking "This sh!* might work."
    grim14.jpg
    Inside the legs.
    grim15.jpg
    Velcro straps to tie in the leg.
    grim16.jpg
    This was the hardest part curling the cardboard skin for the leg. Because of the shape eventually the curve goes against the corrugation. That makes it a real pain to bend. TIP rolling pins help with this. Also in my opinion a lot of profanity but to each their own.
    grim17.jpg
    The bottom skirt of the leg. I wish I doubled up on this cause this part is what took the most wear and damage. Lesson learned.
    grim18.jpg
    Leg form done more details later.
    grim19.jpg
    Inside of the shoulder is a flower pot and a bowl. Dollar store score! Just add dremel and hot glue.
    grim20.jpg
    The hands. These are not worn like gloves. There is a handle inside to carry them like a tool box.
    grim21.jpg
    The hidden suspenders holding up the lower torso and waist. That means this had to go one first.
    grim23.jpg
    The dino head skeleton.
    grim24.jpg
    More cardboard, more coffee.
    grim25.jpg
    HaHaHa! This is still hanging from the ceiling. The room is also still not air conditioned. But seriously all this time joking could be glueing.
    grim26.jpg
    The idea board near the end. It tends to get a little beautiful mind but the results!
    grim27.jpg
    Dino head skinned with lover jaw.
    grim28.jpg
    Robot head with a little paint. The visor is a see through plastic folder. I think that required a trip to an office store.
    grim29.jpg The dino head finished. Jon really put a lot of detail into this for something you really dont see. The eye was a cut up easter egg.
    grim30.jpg
    Notice the coat hangers of the arm holes. The shoulders slide over that and it keeps them in place. This still allows for arm movement. I used latex house paint mainly because I ran out of cash and had a hardware store credit card. Grownup life sucks stay in school kids. I wish I could have filled something over the corrugation for a smoother finish but resources and time. At this point the event was only days away.
    grim32.jpg
    More details the wings and dino arms. Arm=wiffleball bat. Shoulder=wiffle ball.
    grim33.jpg
    Test fit.
    grim34.jpg
    Testing for movement. Look at the shoulders, they hit the head.
    grim35.jpg
    After cutting a chunk of each side no more issues.
    grim36.jpg
    Details added to the leg to give knee and foot.
    grim37.jpg
    The sword that never got made.
    grim38.jpg
    The was a lot of trial and error getting the foot on.
    grim39.jpg
    The electronic junk we made the chest doodads out of. It was all dusty and well junk so into the sink. There was an old nintendo a computer or two and some sort of radio. The idea came from them building the dinobots on earth in the cartoon.
    grim40.jpg
    The wings peg on and off for travel and doors.
    grim41.jpg
    The wing being built.
    grim42.jpg
    The platform shoes I wear to give me some height. Im only 5'9" these add six inches.
    grim43.jpg
    Jon noticed one part was copper so he dremeled it up to make it flashy.
    grim44.jpg
    We just layed it out on a pre bent piece of cardboard and moved it til it looked right. Hot glued it on the cardboard and then drilled holes through it for the lights.
    grim45.jpg
    The are those battery powered holiday lights...from the dollar store. I just hot glued them after I popped them through the holes.
    grim46.jpg
    We basically made a shelf to sit it on so it could be taken out it need. This came in handy because a small piece did pop off at some point.
    grim47.jpg
    The window is three separate pieces of plexiglass glued to the inside. The tiny gap prevented fogging up.
    grim48.jpg
    T-rex fingers from dollar store sand trowels.
    grim49.jpg
    Thats the last part and then final paint which I have no pics of. Also pictured the makeshift glue and bit holder we made out of necessity. Next post finished project.

2. DJ kevintron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here it is finished at Retrocon 2012!
    retcon12 01.jpg retcon12 02.jpg retcon12 03.jpg retcon12 04.jpg retcon12 05.jpg retcon12 06.jpg retcon12 07.jpg retcon12 08.jpg retcon12 09.jpg retcon12 10.jpg

Thanks again Jon for all the help!!
    Its cardboard time!
    retcon12 11.jpg

3. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WOW very impressive

4. DJ kevintron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you!