Card design between lines too similar?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Macross7, May 19, 2014.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've only seen the AoE figures in a couple stores so far & what struck me is the deluxe figure card/design is very very similar to the simplified action feature figure card/design. Just a quick glance, I couldn't tell them apart. I had to look more closely and then could notice differences. Should Hasbro have made them more different so its easier to tell them apart? Its definatly going to get parents/grandparents buying the wrong type of figure then intended. You'll have little kids getting complex toys and teens getting younger kid versions.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I agree with this. Yesterday I couldn't tell the difference between the Power Battlers and Deluxes easily. I think Hasbro have done it on purpose though, in order to sell all the AoE toys as a 'unified' line, but it really is confusing.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Agreed way to simalier though i dont even need to think to tell the diffrence but most people wont theres gonna be alot of disapointed people

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, in the UK Sighting Thread I have to use the prices as description of which type of figure it is I'm on about.

I'd hate to be a kid trying to describe to a relative exactly which AoE figure they want.

Personally I'm not fond of the really cartoony action pose artwork on the front of some packaging bubbles. The £12.99 ones with the big fist punching action almost look like they're advertising a different toyline entirely. They only just look like the characters they're supposed to represent.

5. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    The store employees are also having a hard time as I see them mixed up on the pegs, and this is after I see them straightening things up.

6. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

Totally agree. I got momentarily excited yesterday when I saw Strafe. Nope, the card is slightly smaller and the figure is slightly more simple. This is weird because Hasbro made a big deal about designing easy toys for X and collector's toys for Y and then sells them in nearly identical packaging. Okay...

7. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This seems like a reasonable objection to me.

8. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Yes yes yes, i comented on this already.

It must have been done intentionally inorder for it not to be confusing, missing the line name of the toys. Maybe they could have changed the colour of the packaging...

Reading into it Hasbro dont want to cause confusion with the titles and also must want people to choose for themselves - to buy the Smash and bash OP and One step Bee for instance.

Its still gonna be confusing for the customers...

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As if underpaid retail employees need more things that are confusing and frustrating. Certainly not a cool move.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I wonder if this means toy-swapping will be more common since it's so hard to tell which figure is which anyway and there's so many versions available of the same characters across multiple different sub-lines. You could show me a photo of an AoE Grimlock toy right now and I wouldn't be able to tell you which version it is. How are store staff supposed to know when even a long-time TF fan struggles to differentiate?

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The packaging, although pretty slick looking, is confusing. I got all excited when I saw a "Deluxe Strafe" on the pegs ... only to take a step back and realize it was a simplified figure when I picked it up.

The pegs designated for Deluxe figures were completely mix and matched. Not the employees fault, I don't expect someone outside of this Fandom to know the difference. There should be some kind of easier distinction between the packages.

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    with all the invalid complaints about when/why/how stores stock their product and how hasbro is to blame for that, I think this is the one area of validity. these things are way to similar and confusing to adults, even more so, collectors.

that's just bad package design and not looking at all your products as a whole. sure the individual packages are nice, but with only one small notifier on the packages, utterly confusing even to the most savvy collectors.

13. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I agree with this so much.

I didn't think this would be a problem, but in my toy rounds I must've had the "OMG Deluxe Strafe! Oh." moment at least three times in different stores. I even had a moment of excitement thinking I had found a super early Deluxe AOE Bumblebee 2.0 only for it to be the Power Battler. It really doesn't help that the two lines are always put on shelves right next to each other or that it seems pretty common for them to be picked up by kids/adults and then put on each other's pegs.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm finding it hilarious that complaints about stupid things (like the existance of One Step Changers which are specifically targeted at the young demographic) garner masses of support yet an actual valid complaint only garners a few replies.

Lulz.

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I agree generations stuff should be different

16. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    This is the REAL CRIME. Imagine you're a grandparent and your grandson wants a Grimlock. Which one do you buy?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Great comparison picture. Even as a collector I find this to be too close. I'm really surprised someone during the process of packaging design didn't stop and think harder on this.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pfft, well obviously you get the one that has a robot inside that has silver and a sort of copper/orange color on it, has a silver/grey dinosaur pictured on the front left hand side, is named "Grimlock" somewhere near the bottom left, has a TF4 logo on the bottom right hand side over what looks like sand, and has "Transformers" written vertically on the right hand side in orangey-red on a white background. It's not that hard, man.

What's really too bad is that I thought they were upping the ante with their packaging design(s) when we got TF Prime First Editions and the regular main line series. I don't have high opinions of the figures themselves, but damn, that was hands down the best themed packaging style we've ever gotten for main line releases imo, especially the regular series stuff. Now, like the over simplified figures themselves, we're seeing a nonstop backpeddle even with the packaging. It looks so incredibly cheap & generic... and if I saw it in a dollar store, I'd honestly think it was KO.

19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was very confused looking at these as well. I was thinking the Deluxes looked weird, then I saw it wasn't Deluxes I was looking at.

20. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!