Car Stereo Antenna plug help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DX7879, Apr 15, 2008.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

My friend installed a CD player in my car today, and unfortunately when unplugging the antenna plug from the new CD player, the plug came apart, and now the tip of it is inside the CD player. Anyone by any chance have a good idea on how to get the plug out and reconnect the wire, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Although I don't listen to the radio too much, it would be nice if I could...

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

tweezers might work

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

needle nose pliers

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Do you mean that little spring-loaded piece on the end of the antenna connector came out? If it's freely bopping around inside the CD player, you better get it out before it shorts something out. Just pop the cover on it and grab it.

If it's securely in the plug, it may or may not affect radio reception.

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep. Needle nose pliers to get it out and some solder to put it back on.

6. DX7879

Thanks for the tips on what to use. My friend will probably look at it Sunday. The piece does not seem to be moving around, but is instead clicked in on the CD player.

I didn't get a good look at the wire, but my friend said it was really thin, so is soldering the best way to get it back together?

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It depends on the metal and the actual connection, solder may not "stick" or be solid enough.

You may have to just get a new connector and install it on the wire, I can't imagine that they would be very expensive or difficult to put on. If it's cheap and easy to replace, you should just go new and do it right.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. DX7879

So my friend tried to take the plug out yesterday, and part of it came off. The main head of the plug is still stuck though. The pliers and tweezers can't grip the piece good enough to pull it out. My friend is thinking about using a drill bit to try and lift it out. Otherwise, he'll probably have to take apart the back of the stereo.

On the bright side, it looks like I just need to replace the metal end piece of the antenna.

9. DX7879

Got the other end of the plug out about 4 days ago. I'm having problems finding a replacement for the radio antenna plug though. The closest thing I found so far is a whole new antenna for $16 at Pepboys. I'll probably end up buying the whole thing next weekend.