Car Robot/RID differences

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Primus00, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

This topic is a discussion of the differnces between the toy series of Car Robots and Robots in Disguise(RID).

What makes Super Fire Convoy and God Magnus different from it's english counterpart?

2. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, to my understanding, Super Fire Convoy is practically identical to RiD Optimus Prime. The only major change I'm aware of is the new English-dialogue voice box.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I thought that the Car Robots versions used a sparkly plastic, but now that I'm typing this, I think that might only be the Japanese TRU Giftset.

4. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Car Robots toys don't have Autobot and Decepticon logos on there vehical modes, they have Japanies language voice boxs and the rubber tyers arent as prone to breaking as RID.

5. RID Nightviper

RID Nightviper Member

Also, the "Transmetal" on CR Fire Convoy's chest fades to orange, while RID Prime's chest is just red.

6. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Car Robots Scourge has silver stickers, slightly longer smokestacks, no Decepticon logos, and a sharper edged sword.

7. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    It doesn't fade on my Fire Convoy. Although that could be since I have the first run version (the version that came in a window box.) And yeah, the red plastic on SFC is more sparkly/pearlescent than RID Optimus Prime. That goes for most of the figures, like Build King/Landfill and Ultra Magnus/God Magnus. Landfill also has different paint apps compared to Build King. Like orange on the sides of Build Boy's vehicle mode instead of the gray on Wedge. There are other differences, but they're all pretty minor. Like gold on Grimlocks' shovel teeth.

RID Prime's missile launchers on the ladder don't shoot the missiles when you push the button on the back of the ladder, making them flip up like on SFC. The missiles themselves are also remolded slightly, making them a little more round than those of SFC. The neck also seems shorter on my Prime compared to my SFC.

All the Autobots have a painted-on Autobot symbol somwhere on them, whereas most of the Cybertrons don't. The only Cybertrons that do bear symbols are SFC (his is sculpted onto his chest), God Magnus (sculpted into the front of the vehicle mode), Wrecker Hook (painted onto the front of his vehicle mode) and Indy Heat. Spychangers do too, but I'll explain more about that later. Build King, JRX and both versions of the Car Brothers do not have Cybertron symbols painted on their vehicle modes.

Skid-z has none of the racing details that Indy Heat does. It's just plain silver and purple. Indy Heat has orange racing logos and whatnot.

Wrecker Hook is absolutely identical to Tow-line in every way, though.

The Car Brothers are pretty similar, but X-Brawn is the only one that has remolding compared to his Japanese counterpart. X-Brawn's missiles are rounded over on the ends, whereas Wild Rides have more sharply sculpted edges. Also, X-Brawn's tail lights were removed, and headlights remolded into circular lights. As for Prowl, his white plastic is a little more pink compared to the true white on Mach Alert. Super Side Burn has a Viper symbol on his front end since Hasbro had to license the Viper name when they released it. Super X-Brawn bears all of the remolding of his normal version and Super Prowl is identical to Super Mach Alert except for the addition of the Autobot symbol on his hood.

For Rail Racer, all of the clear plastic that was present on JRX has been removed, replaced with solid plastic. The tip of Rail Spike's gun was extended. For what reason, I do not know. It's not a missile and it doesn't shoot, so there's no real reason for it to be that way. And because of the extended gun, it makes it stick out from the end of his vehicle mode, making it look absolutely ridiculous.

The Spychangers all have minor paint differences compared to their Japanese versions. Most notably is the lack of heat-sensitive paint that reveals a hidden Cybertron/Autobot symbol on their bodies, much like the rub symbols from G1.

Sky-byte sports solid plastic on his shoulder pads/body halves, whereas Gelshark has slightly translucent plastic. Gelshark also has a few more painted mechanical details on those same pieces.

Scourge's stickers are flat gray compared to the highly reflective stickers of Black Convoy. Also, the G2 Autobot symbols are removed on the discs, a couple of stripes are missing on the sides of his vehicle mode, his sword has a rounded tip, and of course, the clear pink plastic of Black Convoy is now clear red. Black Convoy also has a sticker over the back of the cab to cover up the battery compartment. He also has Decepticon symbols painted onto his doors in vehicle mode. Black Convoy had no symbols on him except on his shoulders and on his discs. And those were Combatron symbols, not Decepticon.

Ruination is changed most of all. All the stickers from Dolrailer are missing on Mega-Octane. Mega-Octane's gun also had the end of the barrel cut off (for safety reasons, I assume). The combiner parts are now gray instead of gold, Armorhide is blue with black camo instead of light brown with dark brown camo. Ro-tor is missing the white paint apps on the belly of his vehicle mode and instead has red arrows on the sides. And Rollbar has a "dirt" paint app on the front of his vehicle mode, whereas Greejeeper has has a star and "GV." Also, Greejeeper's green plastic is a deeper and more vibrant color. Movor is almost identical to Shuttler, except that Movor's window are a bluish-silver now instead of purple. All of the Ruination components also sport Decepticon symbols instead of Combatron symbols.

The Predacon trio of Slapper, Darkscream and Gaskunk are identical to their Japanese counterparts of Gusher, Guildo and Gaskunk.

Megatron has Devil Gigatron's mold (meaning it has the slots in the wings for the tail to connect to it to form his elephant mode) and the missiles are remolded to be less pointy. Galvatron also sports these less pointy missiles, but is otherwise more-or-less identical to Devil Gigatron.

8. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

Thats very informative Chaos Convoy. Are you able to post pics to show these differences?

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

110% correct. The only thing I might add is that the Super Fire Convey & God Magnus two pack that I believe was a Toys R Us Japan exclusive came with the Matrix Sword that was seen in the last episode of the RID/Car Robots serries.

That Sword was never released with any of the RID or other toyline releases of ether of these figures.

10. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Damn. THe more I think about it the more I want a Japanese Baldigus. The US Ruination may look more sinister but its just not colored right.

11. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CR Fire Convoy also has a ladder that doesn't have its lower level filled in. It always bothered me that RID Prime had a ladder that was solid plastic on the bottom handrails.

12. RID Nightviper

RID Nightviper Member

That might be it then, because I believe mine came in the non-windowed box. There's a little bit of orange fade around the edges of his chest, just enough to make him noticeably different from Optimus Prime.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I have the window box version and I dont have any fading or chipping of the metallic colors.Besides the dust my SF Convoy looks like it did the day I got him.

14. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

What makes the toy versions of the Destongers Gelshark, Gushar, Gasskunk, and Gildo difernt from their US counterparts?

15. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i gots the jap version :rock 

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^I gots both lines ;) 

17. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

Do you know their differences?

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There aren't too many differences. Luckily they are my favourite figs EVAH so I did some research:

Sky-byte/Gelshark: The blue is slightly more transparent on Gelshark, wheras Sky-byte has an almost opaque blue. Also, the inside pink in the mouth is a shade darker on Gelshark.

Gushar: Chrome may vary in minute shades but that could just be more of a figure-to-figure thing. The eyes on slapper are more green for sure, though. Gushar has more of goldy-green eyes.

Gas Skunk: Some say the plastic quality is diffent between versions. I haven't been able to tell if it's higher or lower but there is the tiniest of difference. No other differences.

Glido: The chrome is a shade lighter (i.e., more silver) on Glido. Darkscream has it more as a light-light-light gold.

Aside from that and the obvious difference in how they're packaged, there's really not much different between them. Hope that helps.

19. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

Can you provide pics?